Has Resistance influence Battery Drain? (Regulated Mods)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Ditto.
I would like to add that losses in the mod are proportional to the square of the operating current.
This is one of the reasons why you can't make more than 75 Watts out of a 3.7 Volt mod, no matter how many cells you place in parallel. The losses would overheat and destroy the components.

Reactions: greek mule

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
greek mule, Below is a link to a really good site for understanding how Ohm's Law applies to vaping. To calculate any value, find the triangle with the parameter you want to calculate highlighted. From there, if the two remaining terms are over each other, you divide. If they are side by side, you multiply. Easy!

How to Calculate Ohm’s Law for Safe Vaping | Vaping Vibe

If you want to look at how the numbers change with resistance, go here Ohms Law Calculator.

Start with 3.7v since that's the voltage where the lithium cell curve spends most of its time when you vape. Put in 3.7v for the voltage, enter a resistance and hit calculate. Remember that current reading. Now, clear voltage and current and enter a new resistance value. Leave the power reading where it's at. Hit calculate and see the top three numbers change.
What you should see is that voltage and current change. Resistance and power stay the same. The mod will vary voltage to achieve the power setting on the mod as it does in the Ohms Law Calculator. Current follows voltage to create the same power for each resistance value.

Last edited:

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
you can't make more than 75 Watts out of a 3.7 Volt mod, no matter how many cells you place in parallel. The losses would overheat and destroy the components.
I don't understand.with 2 battery mod you can't do more than 75 W?
Would you like to give me an example?

Wait,I got it!So this is the reason we don't see often mods with multi battery parallel configuration!Plus the advantage series don't require boost converter.

Last edited:

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
greek mule, Below is a link to a really good site for understanding how Ohm's Law applies to vaping. To calculate any value, find the triangle with the parameter you want to calculate highlighted. From there, if the two remaining terms are over each other, you divide. If they are side by side, you multiply. Easy!

How to Calculate Ohm’s Law for Safe Vaping | Vaping Vibe

If you want to look at how the numbers change with resistance, go here Ohms Law Calculator.

Start with 3.7v since that's the voltage where the lithium cell curve spends most of its time when you vape. Put in 3.7v for the voltage, enter a resistance and hit calculate. Remember that current reading. Now, clear voltage and current and enter a new resistance value. Leave the power reading where it's at. Hit calculate and see the top three numbers change.
What you should see is that voltage and current change. Resistance and power stay the same. The mod will vary voltage to achieve the power setting on the mod as it does in the Ohms Law Calculator. Current follows voltage to create the same power for each resistance value.
Thank you but I already know that stuff.
I was trying to figure out the relevance between resistance and Amp draw at regulated devices.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
The mod has its own resistance - as you know. With 2 cells in parallel, you double the current in the circuit. That may heat up the board, wasting power in the process.

2 cells in series means double the volts, so you can halve the amps (in the circuit). Hopefully less heat where it's not wanted.

Apologies if point missed or post is redundant!

• Informative

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
And it seems,according what @RayofLight62 said,resistance the lower it is,has impact at cpu's efficiency, (at some mods not all of them)thus,increased amp draw for the set wattage.

Looking at the many objective measurements that can be found online, we see there are a number of devices that struggle to meet a prescribed wattage for a given resistance – even within a comfortable median. But there is no consistency to this and a higher resistance coil can have just as much of an effect as a lower resistance coil. To me this is a deficiency in design and if we were to put a single device under scrutiny, then yes, I am open to certain extent that resistance may have an effect on efficiency which could also effect battery drain. Same can be said with extreme cases such as operating a device at its limits.

However, this does not change the concept that coil resistance does not draw current from the battery in a regulated device.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thank you but I already know that stuff.
I was trying to figure out the relevance between resistance and Amp draw at regulated devices.

Mod circuitry isn't usually a published document for proprietary reasons except in black box format. I wish the circuitry diagrams were more available. Even a logic diagram would be useful.

It's pretty standard for the LCD display to display atomizer resistance, voltage, and amperage at current levels during the vape. That's about all the info you'll get. Manufacturers hold that sort of info inside the vest. We don't know what's going on inside a proprietary LSI module, even in black box schematics.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
It does it indirectly,via diefficiency of CPU.All I wanted to find out from the beginning was if resistance play a role at amp draw

And where is the objective data that states a 0.5 ohm coil will always be less efficient than 0.1 ohm coil at the same wattage?

Lets look at the output of single cell device for simplicity.

If voltage = √PxR , 60 watts at 0.5 ohms would mean 5.5 volts is needed for the output and the coil would draw 10.9 amps.

In comparison a 0.2 ohm coil would require only 3.5 volts drawing 17.3 amps for the same 60 watts

Assuming 4 volts from the battery side, can we say without a shadow of a doubt that the circuit is running more efficiently when increasing the voltage for the 0.5 ohm coil than it would be decreasing the voltage to the 0.2 ohm coil? Or is the circuit less efficient with the 0.2 ohm coil due to the current draw?

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
And where is the objective data that states a 0.5 ohm coil will always be less efficient than 0.1 ohm coil at the same wattage?

Lets look at the output of single cell device for simplicity.

If voltage = √PxR , 60 watts at 0.5 ohms would mean 5.5 volts is needed for the output and the coil would draw 10.9 amps.

In comparison a 0.2 ohm coil would require only 3.5 volts drawing 17.3 amps for the same 60 watts

Assuming 4 volts from the battery side, can we say without a shadow of a doubt that the circuit is running more efficiently when increasing the voltage for the 0.5 ohm coil than it would be decreasing the voltage to the 0.2 ohm coil? Or is the circuit less efficient with the 0.2 ohm coil due to the current draw?

Good point...

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
The output stage of the majority of the non-TC mods is open source information, you can find the same parts and designs as in the CPU power supply of a laptop computer.

As you get to classy TC mods, which employs syncronous rectifiers (instead of a Schottky diode, there is a power MOSFET timed by the microprocessor) and low noise frontends, the "trade secrets" lies more with the software, how the various components are driven to achieve a given output, especially considering the TC mode, where the coil alternate between being an heater and a temperature sensor, one - two hundred thousand times per second.

The basic TC output stage schematic is reminiscent of a "chopper amplifier", for those familiar with EE.

So you have a TC sampling timing, necessary to measure the temperature; and a variable drive timing, necessary to regulate the heating voltage across the coil.

At this point, every manufacturer has their own take on how to achieve all the above functionalities. The operative details are codified into the software, which is encrypted - as a form of protection - in some devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread