• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Hatred, bigotry and lies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I teach sex ed and I get SO mad when I read papers from these kids telling me why it is unnatural to be gay.. especially when they are smart kids! I always tell them I am going to send them to a "special therapist" I know who can help make them gay because that is God's plan to resolve overpopulation and they laugh.... but it does sometimes make sense to a few of them and they get my point that you can't "make someone gay" just like you can't "make someone straight". I read their papers which often say "sexual preference" instead of sexual orientation and I argue with them explainign that sexuality is not a "choice" or a "preferene". It just who someone is. I am so tired of arguing about this, but I know I need to keep pushing them to understand. I keep citing all the studies which express a correlation between homophobia and homoerotic sexual arousal. If anything.. I pray this wil scare them and keep them frm expressing homophobia for fear that then someone will KNOW they have homosexual feelings.

I am too tired... must make one last post and go to sleep...

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
One of the things that always catches me unaware is when people assume being gay is all about sex. My whole lifestyle is affected by my orientation in much the same way as my cultural identity affects my values and beliefs. To me it's a complete package and not just about who I choose to sleep with. When folk bring it down to sex I guess that they really are missing the point somewhere.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
One of the things that always catches me unaware is when people assume being gay is all about sex. My whole lifestyle is affected by my orientation in much the same way as my cultural identity affects my values and beliefs. To me it's a complete package and not just about who I choose to sleep with. When folk bring it down to sex I guess that they really are missing the point somewhere.

What they are missing is half the story, half the culture, and the willingness to learn the other half:mad:. We, in the subcultures and countercultures, know the mainstream culture - we were forced to learn it very early in life. We also know our subculture/counterculture, we learned that by particiipating in our community. The bigots only know the mainstream culture and lazily refuse to learn that there are plural cultures within it. They are offended by anything or anyone who suggests that their narrow view of the world is inaccurate. They dilike (and at times lash out against) gays, religious minorities, racial minorities, people from other cultures, etc. because it challenges their notion that they have learned all there is learn, that they are in control of their world, that they can lazily enjoy life at the top of their self-created hierarchy:-x.

We have the advantage in that we know both sides of the story. We know both cultures and are armed with more information, more willingness, and more creativity. We also know that the person in the top postition of any hierarchy must always be on alert for the person looking to dethrone him/her. We know that what looks like a privileged postion also comes with an anxiety that resembles paranoia, and that we don't necessarily want to vie for that position. We know how to navigate and manipulate two systems, not just one:evil:. We are the ones who, in reality, are privileged by our very lack of privilege:D.

Sorry for the ramble, sleep deprivation and a lack of the right chemicals to put my brain into functional mode.:oops:

poeticwomyn

Mar 10, 2009
Missouri
has to do with my poem that I posted as part of my introduction in the heading of group discussions (it took 3 posts, LOL) I have had lots of things thrown my way, from loss of my "lifelong" best friend , to loss of jobs , when people "found out" I was a lesbian. But if I look on the other side of it, there has been a lot of acceptance of me for who I am not what I am, also. I guess it just seems that the losses are more traumatic and make more of an impact than the acceptances.......... oops, I see a sequel poem happening! LOL. Anyway, blame this whole thing on sleep deprivation and needing to reach out because the house is too quiet, my partner is on the road, :shock:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread