HAVA ONE Pod System - A Review by jwiley92 on Reddit

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAVA ONE Pod System - A Review by jwiley92 : electronic_cigarette

What's in the Box?

Manufacturer's Specs
  • 99 G All in One Metal Body

• 3 Optional Power Output Modes

• Ceramic Coil Inside(1.2Ω) Suitable for nicotine salt ejuice(18 to 50mg)

• Cotton Coil Optional (1.2Ω) Suitable for Regular Freebase Nicotine ejuice(0/3/6mg)

• Patented Design

• 16.5° Suspending Drip Tip Design

• Magnetic Front Cover

• 2 ml Refillable and Build in Pod

• Multiple Safety Protections

• Food Grade Antibacterial and Anti Fingerprint Nano Coating

• 350 mAh Built In Battery
Contents
  • HAVA ONE Kit

• 1.2 Ω Ceramic coil

• USB Cable

• User Manual

• HAVA Profile Card

• Warning Card

• Warranty Card

• Conformity Certificate

• Silicone Dust Proof Cover

• Silicone Drip Tip
Packaging
The HAVA ONE comes in a red tray with a red sleeve. The front of the sleeve features a picture of the device and a large nicotine warning. The back of the sleeve has a description of the kit, the contents, and another nicotine warning.

Removing the sleeve reveals a plastic insert holding the device with dust guard installed, cable, and foil-packeted ceramic pod.

Remove the insert, and the bottom of the box holds all the documents and the silicone drip tip cover.

Overall, clean packaging. I like that the pod was in a foil packet and that the dust guard was inserted in the pod which was itself in a little sleeve. Other notes are that the USB cable worked well and didn't feel flimsy, and while I had no use for the drip tip, as I don't let people I don’t know well use my vapes in the first place, it was comfortable to use.

Aesthetics & Build Quality
Colors
The ONE comes in 5 colors, which can be viewed on the website link. They are Gun Metal, Black, Bright Chrome, Silver, and Silver-White. I received the Gun Metal color, which I think looks very nice.

HAVA ONE Device
This pod system is very sleek. It's shiny and full of curves and has minimal branding and I really like the way it looks and feels. The front has a small cutout in the magnetic cover in the shape of HAVA's logo, which lets the status light shine through. The back has the only other visible branding on the device, in the form of text stating "HAVA ONE". I really dislike intrusive branding, so I'm a fan of how they styled this device.

The shiny, metallic exterior can be a bit of a fingerprint magnet. Mine feels very solidly constructed and I haven't noticed any issues with the finishing coming off yet.

Opening up the front cover reveals the slot for the pod, the button, the status light and the USB port. The magnets here are strong enough to hold the front cover on by one edge, allowing you to hinge it open, if you so desire. There is a plastic strip that goes under the pod to help remove it. With the pod installed, it looks like this.

I did notice a bit of an issue with fitment on the front cover. There isn’t anything that locks or snaps the front cover in place besides the magnets. When you get it in the right spot, it's nice and clicky and works very well. However, when you don’t get it in the right spot, it can sometimes not press the button when you push on it. Definitely some room for improvement here, maybe some tabs that hold it in the correct position? There is also not a notch or anything to lift up the front cover, which would be another welcome change. Especially given the strength of the magnets. My final critique of the design is that there is no juice window. It adds to the sleekness of the device, but a little cutout on the back would be great. I toasted one pod because I didn't realize that I was out of liquid yet, and that was a bummer.

Pods
The pods come in ceramic and cotton and can be distinguished by color. They have a coil housed in metal in the center, with quite a few wicking ports. The top has a rubber gasket which, when removed, allows access to the filling ports. This gasket stays in place pretty solidly, I had no issues with leaking when carrying filled pods in my pocket.

The cotton pods also seem to have a rubber obstruction in the middle of the airflow hole, which can be seen here (cotton pod on the left). This restricts airflow a bit and can make it hard to activate. It can also move during use, which can lead to some very unsatisfactory hits, which I will discuss more in the performance section.

Overall Thoughts on Aesthetics & Build Quality
I do really like the look and feel of this device. It has a bit of heft to it but is still light enough to forget in your pocket. It is also small enough and slim, fitting well in the fifth pocket of my jeans. No leaking from carrying filled pods was also a plus. There are a few design concerns that I mentioned, but overall I liked this device on this front.

Now, onto the performance, because that's the important bit.

Battery Life, Operation, and Performance
Battery Life
While the battery is small at 350 mAh, it does last a decently long time. About the length of time it takes to vape a pod for me. It normally got me through the work day, or close to it. Charging was quick, as it should be with a battery this small. It takes about 30 minutes to charge up to full from completely dead. It is a bit cumbersome that you have to remove the front cover to charge it.

There is an issue with the battery life indicator. The light is supposed to start being yellow instead of white at 30% battery life. Instead, it would go yellow one, maybe two hits before it was completely dead. This made the battery meter completely useless. They have a lot of light colors available (they use red, blue, green, yellow and white) so it would have been nice to have a few more breakpoints for battery life.

Operation
Turning the device on and off is simple. Five clicks on, five clicks off. It will flash white three times when powering on, and flash red three times when powering off.

The ONE has 3 different modes, which dictates the voltage to the coil. Taste Mode (3.5v output, white light), Powerful Taste Mode (3.7v output, green light), and Bypass mode (4.2v output, blue light). With the 1.2 ohm coils this translates to 10.2 watts, 11.4 watts, and 14.7 watts. You can change modes by clicking the button 3 times quickly, and you can click the button to illuminate the light and show you which mode you are on. I couldn't think of a way to verify the output, but you can tell the difference in power applied in use.

This is a draw activated system, despite having a button. I haven't had it autofire or misfire yet, so that's good. It takes a purposeful inhale to activate, but not a particularly strong one. Overall, I feel that the draw activation works pretty well on here. I would also like to be able to use the button to fire it, but as long as the draw activation holds up then it is fine.

I have noticed a bit of strange behavior in the functioning of the button combined with the draw sensor. If you press the button before inhaling, it will not fire. If you press it after firing, it will keep firing until you let go or it reaches the time out protection of 10s. I don't see this behavior as a good or bad thing, but wanted to note it because the manual doesn't.

The 10s overdraw protection works well and flashes red eight times to let you know that is why is stopped firing. The short protection also works, and cycles through red, blue, and green twice to let you know that a short has been detected.

Performance
Using the ceramic pods, I enjoyed the flavor and vapor production that I was getting. They are not fantastic, but I found them to be acceptable for a device of this size. The ceramic coils functioned well overall for me, they didn't have any issues wicking with 70/30 or 50/50 liquid and I also didn’t get any leaking with a pod in the device or in my pocket. Normally, they lasted at least five fills, or 10ml, before the taste diminished, the one that I used past this point has had nine fills, or 18ml, and doesn’t taste burnt yet. I would have liked to get more refills out of them, but as long as the price ends up being right then this seemed fine to me.

Using the cotton pods didn't go as well. Of the three I had, one was a dud. The rubber whatever in the airflow also made these a lot more restricted and harder to hit, leading to less vapor production, which confused me because their specs actually state these are to be used with lower freebase nicotine. Both of the other ones had the rubber gasket thing inside shift during use, which led to a bit of leaking at times and other times completely blocked the airflow. On one of them the gasket rotated a bit and poked out of the bottom, and in my frustration, I removed it to see if that would fix the issue. The obstruction was gone, and it hit like the ceramic pods, unfortunately it also immediately burnt the pod out. I didn't end up using any of these their full lifespan due to these issues and was overall very disappointed with their performance.

In other performance notes, the draw is very comfortable on this device. It is a very loose MTL draw. The vapor production is satisfying but minimal enough to be unnoticeable if held in. I also was out with some friends that use, or have used, JUULs and let them use the device with one of the ceramic pods. They all enjoyed it more than their JUULs, which is a good sign to me.

Pros
  • Light, but with enough heft to feel nice

• Metal construction

• Acceptable vapor and flavor for a pod system from the ceramic pods

• Strong magnets

• Draw activation works well

• 2ml pods

• Leak free pods

• Easy filling

• Quick charging

• Different output modes

• Acceptable pod life
Cons
  • Poor performance with cotton pods

• Front door doesn't snap into place and can occasionally make the button hard to press

• No button fire

• Small battery

• Have to remove cover to charge

• Inaccurate battery meter

• No juice window

• Front plate can be difficult to remove
Final Thoughts
While I did enjoy the performance of the ceramic pods, the cotton ones performed very poorly, and unless they are changed I would recommend steering clear. This is a large con in my opinion due to the general thoughts around the safety of using ceramic as coil or wicking material. The device itself felt nice to use and is enjoyable to look at and hold, but definitely has room for improvement, most notably to me in the lack of a juice window and battery meter.

Overall, whether or not this is worth it will come down to the cost, which is not posted yet. The actual device seems pretty solid, personally I'd like to see it for $40 or less for it to be a good value. The ceramic pods have an acceptable lifespan, but without a longer one I'd really like to see them for less than $15 a 3-pack. If the pricing ends up in that range, then I'd feel good recommending this to someone looking for a sleek, metal pod system, but if it ends up being a bit more then I wouldn't. It also bears repeating that the pods that actually work are ceramic, which is a no go for a lot of people.

I hope y'all have enjoyed reading the review, and hope to see you around the sub. Let me know if you have any questions!

For more information, please check on HAVA™ Social Lifestyle Vape Brand - Happy Vaping Happy Living - 2018

And we're looking for more reviewers. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread