Have you put up a steel building before? I bought a kit and need HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertaClipper

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
Ponoka, Alberta
Hi folks...I'm back, after a summer hiatus.

I'll cut to the chase here...my husband and his dad bought a steel building that is intended for amateurs (us) to put together. Of course, the manufacturer claims that it's as easy as putting a nut on a bolt, so how could we go wrong? We expected it would take us more than a day...heck, maybe even a week! But we hit a snag, and the project stalled. Husband had to go back to work away from home, and my 3 teen kids and I wish we could get around this problem with the building before the snow flies.

I have put pics up into a photobucket album to show where it stopped. The last piece on the latest arch will NOT meet up.

The cement pad and pony wall were put up by a professional contractor (he's been doing some pretty big name renovations locally...) and things seem to be level on that pony wall, as far as I can tell.

We did try putting the ribs/arches together and trying to attach them after raising, but when that didn't work for the latest arch, we had to try it in pieces.

Can any of you refer me to a messageboard or something of people who've done this? Or if you have put up a steel building before...do you have troubleshooting tips??? I'm so frustrated.

BTW THIS is the building. I have to say, I'm at my wits' end lately. I just can't get anywhere with this thing.

Thanks so much,

AC

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
I had a few weeks experience nearly 40 years ago, and that was on quonsets, so I doubt I'll be of much help, but to throw a few things into the ring:

1) Have you tried another panel of the same type? They're all supposed to be punched exactly the same, but in reality there has to be a tolerance, a certain amount they can be away from the ideal. If you get two pieces that are at opposite ends of that tolerance, the difference can be extreme.

2) Have you tried loosening the bolts on the prior two arches, letting the joints float a little? Since the bolts are smaller than the holes, the panels end up sitting as low as they possible can. If you let that build up over a length, it can certainly throw off everything.

3) Do you have any way to jack up the top of the arch? Just taking the weight off the panels can mean a world of difference.

We always assembled from the ground up on both sides, so any problems were always at the very top. The people who worked up there had a combination jack/puller for those times they needed to adjust things a tiny bit (I have acrophobia, so I never volunteered for that job).

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread