Haven't built coils before need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Either is okay. I use an Ohm's reader but I bought the whole coilmaster kit. I am glad I have it more for a stable base for building than much else. Also, I do EVERYTHING on it including filling and a test vape. I've leaked all over it PLENTY. But, I'd rather destroy IT than one of my mods.

Mileage may vary, I'm no expert as a coilbuilder, but I have a fine motor tremor so...

You don't HAVE to have one, though, that is for sure.

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm planning to buy a tfv12 prince RBA soon and I have one question. I have to mods that both show ohms on them. Is it necessary to purchase an ohm reader? Or could I just use both my mods to accurately read the ohms?

It kinda Depends...

If I am Reading Ohms of my build and then are going to put the Build on a Regulated Mod, sure, No Problem.

If I am Reading Ohms of my build and then are going to put the Build on a Mech Mod, but I have Allowed for a 15% or 20% Battery CDR Amp Draw variation, yeah, you should be OK.

If I am Reading Ohms of my build and then are going to put the Build on a Mech Mod, and I have Built it down to the Bleeding Edge of what a Battery should be able to handle Amp-Wise, then No, trusting a Mod to Measure Ohms is Not a good idea.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
If I am Reading Ohms of my build and then are going to put the Build on a Mech Mod, and I have Built it down to the Bleeding Edge of what a Battery should be able to handle Amp-Wise, then No, trusting a Mod to Measure Ohms is Not a good idea.
I suppose that all depends. Are we talking a well-calibrated DNA mod vs. a $6 Chinese ohm-reader? I'd trust the mod. Or are we talking like a high-quality ohm-reader like a Fluke (DMM) or a USA Ohm Meters (standalone), versus a cloned Pico mod? In that case, I'd trust the meter. However, in a vacuum, I don't think the 10c ohm-reader chip on a cheap Chinese ohmmeter's board is, necessarily, any better at its job than the 10c ohm-reader chip on the board of a cheap Chinese box mod...

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Most of the dedicated ohm readers are cheap and you get what you pay for. A good mod will probably read more accurately. A $20 or $30 ohm reader isn't any better than a good regulated mod.

I have several DNA mods and they all seem to read the ohm on a built coil the the same. The Coilmaster ohm reader I have doesn't agree with them. Close but not the same as it always reads it as lower than they do.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I suppose that all depends. Are we talking a well-calibrated DNA mod vs. a $6 Chinese ohm-reader? I'd trust the mod. Or are we talking like a high-quality ohm-reader like a Fluke (DMM) or a USA Ohm Meters (standalone), versus a cloned Pico mod? In that case, I'd trust the meter. However, in a vacuum, I don't think the 10c ohm-reader chip on a cheap Chinese ohmmeter's board is, necessarily, any better at its job than the 10c ohm-reader chip on the board of a cheap Chinese box mod...

JMO.

But I Don't think anyone should be Building down to that Ragged Edge of Ohms where everything has to be Right and everything has to be Accurate to 2 decimal places No Matter what they Measure Electrical Resistance with.

But that's just My Opinion.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
When I build for a regulated mod, I build on it as well. I always turn it off when mounting the coils though, I turn it back on when I want to read the ohms, and then pulse it.

When I build for my mech, however, I build on top of my Coil Master ohm reader. I always consider a .02ohm margin, but that's just me being paranoid, it's probably more accurate than that, but I don't really wanna risk it.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread