Never built a coil before

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I use an ohm's reader but I got the coilmaster kit. Frankly it's accuracy is questionable, I mean it's not TERRIBLE but it's not fantastic either. I like it more as a stable base to build on and also, I complete everything on it including a test vape. I'd rather leak all over my 10 dollar ohm's reader than my mod.

However, if you are confident in building and etc., well, there shouldn't be any issues using your mod. If I'm building for a mech (this has happened ONE time) I'll test it on my DNA mod, but otherwise, yeah, you won't get extreme accuracy, but you don't really need it that much on a regulated mod, honestly.

Anna

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I'll throw my 5 cents in, and hopefully make it simpler

Wattage mode vaping:

Maybe...but really only if you're building to use on a mech, with all the possible downsides of getting your ohms wrong

Temp controlled vaping:

Don't bother, because...

Even a 0.05 resistance change (cold coil) from one reading to the next is enough to ruin a good TC vape, and I've yet to ever see an ohm meter that was actually accurate for 0.5 ohm even on a TC wire...

For both types of vaping:

Why an ohm metre doesn't matter (apart from the above wattage mode/mech mod note) is that ultimately you're not going to fire your coil on the meter, you're going to fire it on your mod, and that mod is going to sometimes have its own internal resistance anyways, and so you could get yourself into a circular loop if reading the ohms on the meter, screwing it on the mod and getting a different reading and getting fixated on something you really shouldnt...

Your mod has to fire it, so let it do the reading. Especially on temp controlled mods, like the DNA, the meter on it is orders of magnitude more accurate than any other piece of 3rd party craptastic ohm meter...

By all means screw your build on to different mods to compare, but be aware as mentioned internal resistances in mods can vary and so don't be alarmed if different mods register different ohms. If they're way different, then obviously one mod has either a different internal resistance or if way way off, can be down to a crappy 510, or firmware.

Cannot stress again the one corner of vaping you want to check your ohms is when building for a mech...you do not want to get that wrong...

For all other vaping, let the (regulated) mod do the reading...keep life simple

My other top tip for a new builder is if you have gone to steam engine coil builder is to use its suggested wraps as a guide only, don't expect to match in reality, again, the mod has to fire the coil, not a web page....so let the mod read the ohms, and if it's in the ballpark of expected, fire away....

Note: as a newb I bought an Eleaf ohm meter, the most inaccurate ohm meter ever invented, used it once, noticed my mods were more accurate and got on with life....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
It can never hurt to have a good ohm meter that can fire the atty. As was mentioned earlier, you don't want to fire a fresh build on any mech mod. Most regulated mods have built in protections. I build and test fire all my mech builds on my meter then I'll put them on one of my regulated mods before I put it on the mech mod. I know it's probably just an unnecessary extra step but it doesn't hurt anything. Wnen I build for my regulated mods I just use the mod.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I have one of the coil master tab 521 readers that can fire coils. It is less accurate than all the mods I have as far as I can tell. I build in the range of .5 ohm and don't use mechs.

I have stopped using the ohm reader and just use a DNA 75 when I build coils to read the coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread