Head hurts, which is better? Kayfun lite, plus, plus v2 ES, v3.1, Russian 91%

Status
Not open for further replies.

panto911

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
missouri
Been researching for days now everyone has a different opinion, goes back and forth which is better...

I at least decided on what mod to get $24.63 Nemesis Style Mechanical Mod - stainless steel / with telescopic 510 contact pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
I might use the kick v2 with it, does it make much difference or not really?

I want to know is there an advantage or disadvantage with the Kayfun lite, plus, plus v2, ES, v3.1, Russian 91%
1. Does the screw in drip tip matter much? Like if its just a push in one with an o-ring will it leak or come out at all vs the screw in one?
2. Which ones are fill in from a screw on the bottom? Do they all leak? Is this the only option or do some fill another way other then from the top?
3. Are any of these built not as good as the others? Like the screws and threads stripping easily?
4. Is the nano chamber what helps from flooding the juice in the coil? (noob question I tried googling it) What does it look like how do I know if one has it or not?
5. Which is the shortest and why? Like will it be sacrificing anything for being shorter?
6. Where do you get more o-rings, wicks, coils at, cheapest and best quality?
7. What adapters and mods would you suggest with this set up (nemesis and Kaylyn or Russian 91%?
8. Since I am getting the Nemesis and it has the adjustable screws to tighten the connection the tank, is the adjustable screw needed on the tank too?
9. The Nemesis has an airflow adjustment so is that not needed as well on a tank?

Sorry and thank you for all the help, seriously been out of the ecig world for a couple years, hate to start a topic that has been covered a lot but I have read and watched a lot of videos and still cant seem to find a good response.

These are the ones I been looking at the more I look the more it confuses me... :confused:

$14.39 Kayfun Lite Styled Rebuildable Atomizer (4.5mL) - clear tank section at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$17.25 Russian 91% Styled Rebuildable Atomizer (4.5mL) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$18.54 SvoeMesto Kayfun v3.1 ES Styled Rebuildable Atomizer (4.5mL) - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$18.82 Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Styled Rebuildable Tank Atomizer (4.5ml) - stainless steel / w/ nano chamber & chimney at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$19.07 Kayfun Lite Plus Style Rebuildable Atomizer Kit (4.5ml) - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$21.34 Kayfun v3.1 ES Style Rebuildable Tank Atomizer Kit (4.5mL) - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$22.38 Kayfun v3.1 ES Styled Rebuildable Atomizer Kit (4.5mL) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$26.58 Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Style Rebuildable Atomizer (4.5ml) - 1:1 clone / stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Last edited:

Noserenity

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2014
Upstate New York
If your into a kayfun style, these days I would honestly recommend an EHpro Billow or another Orchid clone. This industry is advancing at an insane rate and there are much much better alternatives than the standard kayfun rebuildables you are looking at. The ones I listed are only a couple. There is also the squape R, the lemo. There is even a kayfun 4 due out in 3 days that looks ok, but will probably be as expensive as hades.

Noserenity

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2014
Upstate New York
The Billow and Orcid are duel coils so using the kick in the nemesis is a good idea?

I suppose you could if you wanted to, but according to what I've read there is such a perfect amount of airflow around those coils it keeps it plenty cool enough around there to not get too hot of a hit with a strait mech.

You could also raise the guage of kanthal you use and add more wraps if you find the vape is too warm.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
If you are new to mech mods and rebuildables I highly recommend you spend some time with Baditude (one of our resident battery experts) and visit his blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Baditudes Blogs. The blogs regarding mods and rebuildables are listed below:

BATTERIES

9. Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

17. Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

14. Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

16. Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

MECHANICAL MODS & REBUILDABLES

7. Information Resources for Your First RBA
* An essential read and reference guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

15. Inexpensive Mechanical Mod and RDA Setup
* A response to the frequently asked question on how to get into rebuildable atomizers with a mechanical mod inexpensively. Includes a list of commonly used tools and supplies for rebuilding and where to find them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics

bjseggerman

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2014
Belle Plaine, MN, USA
If you are new to mech mods and rebuildables I highly recommend you spend some time with Baditude (one of our resident battery experts) and visit his blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Baditudes Blogs. The blogs regarding mods and rebuildables are listed below:

BATTERIES

9. Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

17. Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

14. Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

16. Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

MECHANICAL MODS & REBUILDABLES

7. Information Resources for Your First RBA
* An essential read and reference guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

15. Inexpensive Mechanical Mod and RDA Setup
* A response to the frequently asked question on how to get into rebuildable atomizers with a mechanical mod inexpensively. Includes a list of commonly used tools and supplies for rebuilding and where to find them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics

Everyone acts like your now holding a bomb if you have a mech. It really isn't rocket science. Get an inline voltmeter. Charge your battery at 3.7 volts.

Just make sure you get good batteries. The above site are good.

Just do t wrap a crazy low ohm coil and you will be fine

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Well the tanks you give are all the same RTA, the differences are Factory and MINOR design changes, or color. Just pick 1.

While there are other tanks of the same style, Lemo, Orchid and others, that may be better. The Kayfuns are wide said to be EASIER to use. Easy to use, seems a major plus for a Newbie. Especially since the better RTAs are often only slightly better when they are better. From the reviews I have seen.. Many times the best pieces of equiptment are also the HARDEST to make work correctly.

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
Ok, this is long, but I think it will help you eliminate a lot of confusion, so bear with me..

This is all based on my personal experience and I'm pretty much a single coil guy running on a lower power variable mod (Provari). If you want to run dual coils, listen to the guys above, because I don't have a lot of knowledge there.

Pretty much all of the tanks you listed are different versions of the same thing - there are a few minor differences (like the kayfun 3.1 holds a little more juice than the kayfun lite), but they're all clones and they're all basically the same hardware. While it's a good supplier for a lot of things, I wouldn't go fasttech on an rba tank - they've got a lot of bad clones on these tanks, and they're really difficult (or impossible) to build well if they're poorly made. A leaky, crappy clone is pretty much unusable. You can get a good quality tank from a reputable US vendor for about $35-40, so it's not a huge price difference.

So out of everything mentioned so far, the best two are probably the EHPro branded kayfun lite plus clone and the Eleaf Lemo. The one that's better for you depends on your vape style and preferences. They're both in the $35ish range, and you can find them on a LOT of sites. The Lemos are in short supply right now because they're new and popular, but I was able to order one a few days before the vendor got more in stock and it showed up in less than a week, so it's not too much of a hassle to get it.

Both of these are kayfun style and easy builds. Here's the main difference: The Lemo is designed to excel with low resistance builds and/or high wattage, with its big juice channels and open draw. The Kayfun really rocks in the 1.5ish ohm range around 8-15 watts or so and has a tighter draw. Go with whichever one sounds like a better vape for you. If your taste fits the kayfun better, the nemesis may not be the best choice for you - check out something with variable voltage like an MVP2 or an iStick instead. You want the right tool for the job, and the nemmy does much better with lower resistance, while a vv/vw mod gives you a lot more flexibility at higher ohms.

It sounds like you're new to building - be prepared to try it a few times before everything comes together and starts working smoothly. Here's a video on the easiest, most reliable build method I've found. This is my standard build. (not my vid, though).

Now, for your questions.

panto911 said:
1. Does the screw in drip tip matter much? Like if its just a push in one with an o-ring will it leak or come out at all vs the screw in one?
Doesn't matter too much, but if you get the screw in and don't like it, you're stuck with it. The push with the o-ring will fit any standard 510 tip, so it gives you a lot more flexibility. No worries on leaking or falling out.

2. Which ones are fill in from a screw on the bottom? Do they all leak? Is this the only option or do some fill another way other then from the top?
The fill screw on the bottom is a pretty universal thing on these tanks. And as mentioned before, these are pretty much all the same thing. The Lemo comes with a screw, but you have the option to use the included silicone plug instead and both seem to work fine. A decently made tank won't leak from the fill screw. Leaks are more an issue through the airflow hole and only if you have a bad build in it.

3. Are any of these built not as good as the others? Like the screws and threads stripping easily?
You're looking at fasttech stuff and the cheaper ones there. They don't have the best track record with this style of tank. It's likely that most of them have quality issues.

4. Is the nano chamber what helps from flooding the juice in the coil? (noob question I tried googling it) What does it look like how do I know if one has it or not?
I'm not sure what you mean by nano chamber, but it sounds like marketing bs to me. These tanks are designed to have a vaccuum effect between the juice tank and the atomizer chamber... it's like putting your finger over the end of a straw. That's what keeps juice out of the atomizer chamber. When you vape on it, the pressure of your pull brings more juice into the atomizer to replace what you just burned off.

5. Which is the shortest and why? Like will it be sacrificing anything for being shorter?
The kayfun lites and russian 91% are smaller than the kayfun 3.1. The lemo is taller than everything else in this thread. The only real difference between the different heights are juice capacity. Kayfun lites hold about 3ish ml of juice, kayfun 3.1 is 4ish, and the lemo is 5. If you want something even shorter, there's a kayfun nano that holds a little less. It's also available as a conversion kit to change your larger kayfuns to the nano size.

6. Where do you get more o-rings, wicks, coils at, cheapest and best quality?
FatDaddyVapes has a good o-ring kit, but the tanks come with spares and it will probably be months before you need replace any. As far as wicks and wire, I use CVS sterile cotton balls for wick and got my kanthal on amazon for about 6 bucks for a 100ft roll. 28 awg is a good size wire to start with. The one box of cotton balls and one roll of kanthal will last you forEVER. Like years.

7. What adapters and mods would you suggest with this set up (nemesis and Kaylyn or Russian 91%?
Whatever looks interesing to you. Once you have a device/mod (the nemesis) and an atomizer (the kayfun), the rest is really little details. Try a few different styles of drip tips with larger and smaller bores - they're cheap and the right one can be that last little tweak that makes your vape perfect when you've got your build figured out.

8. Since I am getting the Nemesis and it has the adjustable screws to tighten the connection the tank, is the adjustable screw needed on the tank too?
The "adjustable 510 connection" in most of these style of tanks is also the screw that holds your positive block from the building area in. Messing with the 510 end usually screws up your build area in a big way. Leave it screwed all the way in and adjust on your battery side if necessary.

9. The Nemesis has an airflow adjustment so is that not needed as well on a tank?
You need it on the tank. The airflow on the nemesis will tweak things a little, but the tank is where you really adjust your airflow.

One more REALLY important thing to mention. If you go with the nemesis, get good batteries from a reputable vendor. NOT FASTTECH. You want something with a high "maximum continuous discharge" spec. Good ones right now are the Samsung 25R, the LG HE2, and the Efest with the purple wrapper. Bad batteries or counterfeits can be really dangerous, especially in a mech mod. The only safety control on a Nemesis is your knowlege level and experience.

You'll also need an ohm reader or multimeter to test your coils for shorts and measure resistance before you put them on the nemesis. A regulated mod (which has variable power) will have this built in and the safety features won't fire anything unsafe, but the nemesis will try to fire anything you put on it, which can lead to battery accidents if you've made a mistake in your build and haven't caught it with a tester first.

tl;dr - Skip fasttech - their rebuildable tanks tend to have issues. Get an Eleaf Lemo if you want a wide-open draw and low resistance (sub-ohm) builds. Go with an EHPro Kayfun Lite Plus if you like a tighter draw and want to build in the 1-2 ohm range. If you go the second route, the Nemesis may not be the best choice for you - a variable device of some sort will probably work a lot better.

Hope this is helpful and not overkill. Good luck!

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I do want to add, don't use a kick if your build is going to exceed 15W. A dual coil tank like an Orchid almost certainly will. Mine is running at 44W on a mech. For a kayfun, you can use a kick.

Get either a Lemo or an EHPro kayfun. The Lemo is 23mm so it will overhang the Nemesis a little. If you want a mod from FT, they have 23mm Caravelas that will match the Lemo. The Nemi will look fine with a Kayfun.

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
For me the biggest advantage of the Billow (dual coil) or the Lemo (single coil) are that the chimney parts screw into the top cap, allowing the use of glass tanks. This opens up the possibility of using several different liquids that are known to crack plastic tanks. There are "glass kits" available for standard Kayfuns and variants, but most of them don't have threaded chimneys, so the only thing that's holding on the top cap is friction from the O-rings. That is bad news.

So, if you ever see yourself wanting to vape cinnamon, banana, peach, wintergreen, or a lot of other tank cracker flavors, consider getting a Billow or Lemo. Or, consider stepping up to the 26650 form factor and get an EHPro Big Buddha, I like those so much I bought four of them, and they're all I ever use.

Smann245

Aug 16, 2014
USA
For me, 3.1 makes no sense. It is taller and has more parts to do the same job as the Lite Plus. Others Like the 3.1, so go figure.
The 3.1 does what the lite does and then some. My ehpro kayfun 3.1 has two coil mounting options, two filling options(not including top filling), adjustable air flow, adjustable positive pin, and a bottom cap that collects juice that has leaked due to flooding the chamber(which only happens if you do something wrong). Nano kits are available to reduce height if that's an issue. I much prefer my 3.1.

Also, you can tune the Kayfuns performance much better with a variable device that has at least 20 watts available. A mech and a rebuildable atomizer allows for adjusting one of the power variables. Resistance. A variable device and a rebuildable atomizer allows both power variables to be adjusted. Resistance and voltage.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
** waves ** crxess

I never thanked you for your Cotton Nest build. I use it ALL the time, so THANK YOU very much! I'm vaping Coconut Boba Tea in my Kaufun Lite+ v2 (Ehpro) right now. Yummy!

Cotton Nest - Building Kayfun Lite Nano - Cotton Nest PT1

You are quite welcome. Glad it is working well for you.

Some Miss information going around in here. Probably just miss-understood facts.

1) Kayfun Screw-in Tip - You CAN Replace it with the KF tip Adapter and any 510 Drip tip.

2) Volume - Kayfun Lite/Lite Plus/3.1 ALL hold 4.5Ml when properly filled.

3) Nano - Nano is a KIT yo shorten a kayfun/Russian and reduces Volume - Generally around 2ml to fill.

* Also Lots of Good info and user input in here* :)

panto911

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
missouri
Thank you so much everyone, helped me out a lot. I'm going to get the Nemesis and Orchid v4. What gauge wire should I get? Watched some videos on building, I can do it I think. :) Would 32 Gauge dual coils be around 1.0ohms on the AW IMR 18650 3.7V 2200mAh 20A? What would be the ohms on a AW IMR 18500 3.7V 1200mAh 18A running 32 gauge dual coils? Wrap it 5 or 10 times? lol Feel so helpless. lol

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
Thank you so much everyone, helped me out a lot. I'm going to get the Nemesis and Orchid v4. What gauge wire should I get? Watched some videos on building, I can do it I think. :) Would 32 Gauge dual coils be around 1.0ohms on the AW IMR 18650 3.7V 2200mAh 20A? What would be the ohms on a AW IMR 18500 3.7V 1200mAh 18A running 32 gauge dual coils? Wrap it 5 or 10 times? lol Feel so helpless. lol

The resistance of your coil has nothing to do with your battery. Running a mech mod, you want to get the best battery you can get, which means good brand and high amp rating, so the 20A would be better. If you stick to the common rule of thumb of not using more than 75% of your battery's amp limit, you could build coils as low as 0.3 ohms safely with that battery. If you want to be even safer, get LG HE2 or Samsung 25R batteries.

I'd start with 28 guage wire - it's a lot easier to work with than the 32 guage. The resistance (ohms) of your coil is going to be based on how much wire you use to build it. The more wire (i.e. more wraps or bigger bit you wrap your coil around), the higher the resistance. Less wraps or a smaller coil means lower resistance. With an orchid, since it's dual coil, you'll want to wrap two identical coils, and your total resistance will be half of what each coil is. You NEED to have an ohm reader or a multimeter to test your coils before you fire them.

There's a calculator at steam engine that will help you figure out how many wraps and such you need to get to the resistance you want.

One more thing to point out - if you're confused now, it might be easier to start with a single coil tank. One coil's a lot easier to figure out and get mounted right. Then you can move to the orchid or another dual coil atty once you've gotten it down and feel more confident with your builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread