Heads up on the Vamo v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tctom

Jan 27, 2014
Traverse City, MI USA
Feeding more than two tanks a day through my Vamo v5 - I noticed the other day that when I change the battery the thing defaults to 6v and 7.5 watts. I went thru 2 coils in just over two weeks. Got the 3rd one in there now. Using the Kanger Unitank, I love the top fill aspect and I also have the Unitank Mini also top fill. Anyway - just wanted to let folks know that this mod will default to what is in my opinion a rather high voltage and I was getting that "burnt" taste fairly rapidly.

Mudsh0v3l

Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Out of curiosity, what ohm coils are you using? That wattage looks REALLY strange for the voltage setting. You would need to have something like a 4.8 ohm coil to make that math work out.

Either that or it could be like my SVD where you are either in volt mode or power (watts) mode. Those settings are completely independent of each other on mine.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Either that or it could be like my SVD where you are either in volt mode or power (watts) mode. Those settings are completely independent of each other on mine.

Ahh, I've got an SVD as well.

It allows you to adjust the power two separate ways, but just so you know....

Watt = Voltage X Voltage / Ohm.

For example, if you were running 4 volts with a 2.4 ohm coil the math would be:
4 X 4 / 2.4 = 6.6 watts

You can either adjust the voltage by itself, or you can set a wattage setting in which case the V5/SVD will automatically adjust the voltage for you depending on the ohm coil you are using. So, if you set a specific wattage and then change to a lower ohm coil it will automatically adjust the voltage so that you achieve the same final wattage.

That's why I asked about the coil. The only way the math on his settings works out is:

6 X 6 / 4.8 = 7.5 watts

I've never heard of a 4.8 ohm coil, but that's what it would take to make that math work. Otherwise, something isn't reading right. Either the coil is defective or the device isn't reading ohms correctly which is throwing off it's wattage.

Last edited:

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
I have a vamo v3 not a v5 but with that version when you change the battery it defaults to the lowest 3.0 voltage setting. If using VW it will retain whatever setting I had in place. I'm a bit surpised to hear this as from my understanding the V5 is using the exact same chip set as the V3 but that it just had the stainless steal body instead of the swirl pattern. At least that was my understanding? I'll try and find thread I started months ago about the V3, V4, V5 differences.

Mudsh0v3l

Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Ahh, I've got an SVD as well.

It allows you to adjust the power two separate ways, but just so you know....

Watt = Voltage X Voltage / Ohm.

For example, if you were running 4 volts with a 2.4 ohm coil the math would be:
4 X 4 / 2.4 = 6.6 watts

You can either adjust the voltage by itself, or you can set a wattage setting in which case the V5/SVD will automatically adjust the voltage for you depending on the ohm coil you are using.

For instance, if you set a specific wattage and then change to a lower ohm coil it will automatically adjust the voltage so that you achieve the same final wattage.

Right, but if you switch to voltage mode it will not necessarily directly correlate to the wattage you had it set at before going into voltage mode. But either way, if it's not retaining the previous settings when the battery is changed there might be something else wrong.

tctom

Jan 27, 2014
Traverse City, MI USA
Mine doesn't remember any settings when I pull the battery out. That is how I Noticed that it was defaulting to 6 volts. During the first week of owning the thing - i never checked to see what the voltage was set to - I would only do wattage and would normally run it at about 7. Now - every time I change the batteries - I always go to the voltage screen (the Vamo defaults to the wattage reading) and there is where I would see the 6 volts which I immediately change to no more than 4 - which works just fine for me.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Are you in means mode or RMS which is where you want to be. To check it hold down the - button and it will eventually come up and if not RMS do it again to and that will set the RMS. The instructions clam there is no means mode but their is. Doing the same with the + button puts you into continues mode which I guess could be used to charge a cell phone or at least that is what I was told since if continuesly fires.

Last edited:

sleepingbuffalo

Dec 18, 2012
fremont NE
is it set to RMS vs MEAN, that aside mine will retain the watts if that is the mode in use when the batt was removed. otherwise in VV mode it will default to 3.0 volts (to protect you from burning the topper coil in case you changed that as well as the batt) in wattage mode the V5 reads the resistance of the coil then adjusts the voltage to apply the requested wattage. no worries of a burnt or popped coil.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Right, but if you switch to voltage mode it will not necessarily directly correlate to the wattage you had it set at before going into voltage mode. But either way, if it's not retaining the previous settings when the battery is changed there might be something else wrong.

If you alter the voltage setting it's going to change the final wattage output regardless of your wattage setting. Likewise changing the wattage setting will alter your voltage regardless of where you set it at. It's impossible to change one without changing the other since wattage is a measurement of voltage and resistance. It's just two different ways of achieving the same end result.

But I agree, with the numbers he's given something is not right.

Does the Vamo V5 allow you to Lock the settings like the SVD does?

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
Are you in means mode or RMS which is where you want to be. To check it hold down the - button and it will eventually come up and if not RMS do it again to and that will set the RMS. The instructions clam there is no means mode but their is. Doing the same with the + button puts you into continues mode which I guess could be used to charge a cell phone or at least that is what I was told since if continuesly fires.

quote from http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/vamo/491362-vamo-v2-vs-v5-2.html
V1, V2, V5 have both have RMS and mean mode. V3 and V4 only have RMS mode...which from my understanding is more accurate / "better" method of determining voltage so I think a large percentage of vamo users use the RMS mode...just from what I have gathered?

V4 is same as V3 except its in a V2 body and is missing mean mode. V3 is missing mean mode but has new chipset but has the "swirl" design. V5 has both the RMS and the mean mode but has V3 chipset but body similar to V2 design (non swirl stainless steal design).

As for the VV vs VW debate that happens 2-3 times a month...last one I know of is http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...variable-wattage-variable-voltage-debate.html

I'm just going to copy and paste my comment from there as it seemed to get good reviews and overall good response as a layman's term for VV vs VW.

The best way I heard it described is something like this. When you use the gas pedal to determine your speed that's VV. When you use speed control button that's VW. So imagine your on a flat road...i.e. your resistance isn't changing...it doesn't matter if you use the gas pedal and hold your foot at a constant angle or if you are using speed control...your speed is going to stay the same.

Now lets say you encounter a hill and 20 mph winds coming head on (i.e. the resistance of your atty got higher). With the gas pedal (VV) you need to step on the pedal a little more to overcome the wind and the hill just to maintain the same speed. When using speed control (VW) the car's computer takes care of that for you and your speed remains constant regardless of the resistance.

Same analogy when going down hill just in reverse.

Assuming all things being equal juice, tank, battery, etc when switching from a lower resistance atty to a higher resistance atty and vice verse you will get the exact same vape when using VW. The mods computer chip kicks in determines what the appropriate voltage should be to equal your current wattage setting (i.e speed of car)...Just like how a car's computer determines how much gas to send to the fuel injector when using speed control.

Regardless of using VV or VW wattage is the end result that determines the hotness and throat hit of the vape. Wattage in this case equates to the heat/energy given off by the attomizer to turn the liquid into a vapor. You can look at ohms law and all of that but when increasing the voltage your actually increasing the wattage and when decreasing the voltage you are decreasing the wattage. There is a formula that uses voltage and resistance to calculate the wattage. When using VW it uses that formula behind the scene and calculates what voltage you need for your given wattage setting based on the resistance of the attomizer that is currently in use.

In all honesty if all of your atties are the same resistance (you are always driving on a flat road) it makes no difference what you use as the resistance becomes constant. The advantage of using VW is that when you change resistances you shouldn't have to change any settings as the vape will be the same. Again from my previous post I still tweak for different juices, times of day, and mood but I have to do less fiddling.

The only other advantage I can see to VW is that when I change my battery it keeps my wattage setting...but when I'm using VV and I switch batteries it always resets the voltage to the lowest setting.

Hopefully that description helps cement things in your mind a bit easier than going over ohms law and physic and math equations ;)

One other advantage of VW...the resistance of your atty changes over time and usage. When using VW your device picks up on this and will adjust the voltage output accordingly to maintain your current wattage setting.

tctom

Jan 27, 2014
Traverse City, MI USA
OK - My fault - When inserting batteries (now battery since I finally got my 18650's) I would switch to VV mode and then push the minus button - thinking I was checking the setting where it was. But now I find that Sleepingbuffalo is very much corect - my vamo actually defaults to 3.0 volts. Sorry for causing a stir - am still learning! Using the calculator found at Ohm's Law Calculator - I am using the chart I made below and matching the Volts to Watts accordiing to the resistance of the coils I am using. Not sure how I ended up with two different resistances (1.8 & 2.2) but I am now using 4v@7.5w & 4v@9w. So far I like the results. Here is my chart and thanks to everyone.

Following table created using
Ohm's Law Calculator

4 volts @ 6 watts = 2.67 Ohms
4 volts @ 6.5 watts = 2.46 Ohms
4 volts @ 7 watts = 2.28 Ohms
4 volts @ 7.5 watts = 2.13 Ohms
4 volts @ 8 watts = 2.00 Ohms
4 volts @ 9 watts = 1.78 Ohms
4 volts @ 10 watts = 1.6 Ohms
5 volts @ 12 watts = 2.00 Ohms
6 volts @ 14 watts = 2.57 Ohms
6 volts @ 15 watts = 2.40 Ohms

Thanks for the tip on switching to RMS Mode also - did that too.

Last edited:

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Here is another tip I actually verified at least with mine. The stacked 18350 outperform the 18650 overall. They actually last longer than my 18650 2250mAh. Oh and the 18650 are 800 mAh stacked. Not sure I understood the review by PBusardo that I watched before buying mine. I actually have found it true with the AW batteries that I also have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread