Heart Pounds on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Perhaps, then again - have you had your thyroid tested lately?
I ask as someone who found she had an overactive thryoid - I had hardly any symptoms except the racing heart (and not all the time, and no pain at all), and occasional swelling of the feet, ankles, calves. I'm not overweight so it wasn't that. My BP wasn't high either, and I had no other symptoms. A simple blood test can tell you.
Smoking can really do a number on your thyroid btw - and you may not realise til you give up.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
If it helps at all I jsut had my meds reduced due to NOT smoking any longer - I might even have gone the other way and be slightly underactive now - my doctor is going to re-test in 2 months. She said smoking really messes with the thyroid and it might see-saw back n forth between over and under active (joy, I can hardly wait to see THAT prescription...)

Badfish20

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
Lewiston, Id
I posted this here in the health section already, but after about a month and a half of vaping, i started having panic attacks and felt like my heart was beating weird. After a bucnh of test, it turns out that my body is having a withdrawal from nicotine and other checicals (possibly). I am also vaping 6Mg. He gave me something for anxiety and I feel great now.

opie

Feb 1, 2010
south carolina
I was having some same issues with the heart thing. It was scaring me so I quit vaping n went back to smoking after I tried switching pg to vg. Dont know......I didnt think your body would act up so much from stopping something. You would think I was coming off drugs ....wait I guess cigs are drugs in an legal way..lol Will.....not......give....up.......vaping.lol Maybe I should go to the doctor.

logbas34

Feb 1, 2010
louisville
yah its your medication. when you were on cigarettes there is a chemical called THIOCYANATE, it goes right for your thyroid and since you were on medication your doctor probably had you taking the amount you take based on your t3 or t4 hormones I mean im guessing thats what you take right? some thing like thyroxine or cytomel. anyways the last lab results you had are probably different since you stopped smoking so your probably getting to much thyroid hormone. so ask your doctor to rerun those tests and see what the change is and he will either take you off it or reduce your intake of it

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
Toronto
Anxiety is a ...... I get it on and off. Smoking will mess a lot of things up, and especialy when you stop...your body goes all stupid...

As for pounding heart just get some piece of mine and get an EKG done. simple test, 1-2 mins...but more than likely your body is in clean up mode from quitting smoking...

notsoogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
The REAL Washington
Ever since I started vaping about 7 1/2 months ago. I have had my heart pound on and off. It doesn't heart, but really bugs me.

It is like when I used to have panic attacks years ago.
Could I be getting too much nicotine?

So how did your appointment go? Too much nic, med adjustment, what??? Hope you are ok!:blink:

Jimmy_2k9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Hamilton, Oh
I've had this problem recently also, I went to the hospital for it a few weeks back just to make sure I was alright.

I had a chest xray, they watched my heart rate for a while and did a blood test. Go figure nothing happened while I was there, but I still have what I called "Heart Flutters" on and off on certain days.

I told the Dr. about my vaping, also admitted to my obsession with Mountain Dew. He told me to slow down on the nicotine, advised I lower my caffeine intake also. I chilled out on both since then and only experience the flutters on days when I slip up and get carried away again.

I suppose I could describe what it feels like when this happens.

My heartbeat randomly makes itself known, I feel it beating harder, to the point where I think I could see it if I watched my chest. Random increased heart rate, kind of like someone just scared the crap out of me, but... no such thing had happened.

Its no big deal for me though, I just chill out on the nic and caffeine and I'm fine.

Jimmy_2k9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Hamilton, Oh
:)

You didn't bring your ecig with you?

Maybe they should have provided you with strong coffee and an ecig durig the test?

It was in my pocket, but of coarse by the time the Dr told me what he thought was happening, I was ready to go home. (after laying around in there for 4 hours.) Otherwise, I may have given them a demonstration.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
SOunds like they may have done this when they took your bloods, and hopefully they did and all is well, but they should have checked your thyroid - overactive thryoid can cause those exact symptoms and smokers are very susceptible to thyroid issues (and also after they quit smoking). Just a thought.

Edit: gah serve me right for not reading ALL the posts I see someone already mentioned Thyroid lol

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
It was in my pocket, but of coarse by the time the Dr told me what he thought was happening, I was ready to go home. (after laying around in there for 4 hours.) Otherwise, I may have given them a demonstration.

Oh, I meant as diagnosis, I'm sorry.

What was it the doctor said you had?
I mean, I wondered if they had given you strong coffee and with you vaping maybe they could have caught your heart in the act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread