Nicotine Possibly Causing Anxiety and Panic Atacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Hi. I Have been vaping for over 3 months now. Never in my life have I had severe anxiety or panic attacks. About two months ago I was at the park with my girlfriend and I noticed my heart was skipping several beats every few seconds. I then turned white. I began to panic and I felt as if I was having a heart attack. I literally thought I was gonna die. I was rushed to the ER. After doing an EKG they found no abnormalities with my heart and diagnosed it as panic attack caused by "normal heart palpitations". For about a week after that I could barley leave my house without having extreme anxiety. I think the anxiety was mostly caused from fear of another panic attack. Then about a month ago it happened again. I have been dealing with life changing amounts of anxiety for the past few weeks now. I didn't even think to consider nicotine as a possible cause until recently. I vape 24mg liquid, and I usually vape steadily all day. I have a theory of why someday's the nicotine could be affecting me more than other days. I take a medication daily that is administered sublingually(I dissolve it under my tongue). It could be possible that my mouth absorbs more nicotine than most people because my mouth is used to absorbing this medication. I am going to cut way down on my vaping and have ordered some lower mg liquid. I will update this post if it changes anything or not. If anyone has any similar experiences or thoughts please share.

I'd be more inclined to 'blame' the medication than vaping. I suffered from crippling 'panic attacks/anxiety' disorder in my twenties.. waaaay before I ever smoked or vaped. For some reason, thankfully, I outgrew them.

I wish you luck in dealing with this disorder.... it's a horrible problem to live with. I hope in time yours passes as mine did. :wub:

BradN10

Verified Member
Mar 31, 2009
Hi. I Have been vaping for over 3 months now. Never in my life have I had severe anxiety or panic attacks. About two months ago I was at the park with my girlfriend and I noticed my heart was skipping several beats every few seconds. I then turned white. I began to panic and I felt as if I was having a heart attack. I literally thought I was gonna die. I was rushed to the ER. After doing an EKG they found no abnormalities with my heart and diagnosed it as panic attack caused by "normal heart palpitations". For about a week after that I could barley leave my house without having extreme anxiety. I think the anxiety was mostly caused from fear of another panic attack. Then about a month ago it happened again. I have been dealing with life changing amounts of anxiety for the past few weeks now. I didn't even think to consider nicotine as a possible cause until recently. I vape 24mg liquid, and I usually vape steadily all day. I have a theory of why someday's the nicotine could be affecting me more than other days. I take a medication daily that is administered sublingually(I dissolve it under my tongue). It could be possible that my mouth absorbs more nicotine than most people because my mouth is used to absorbing this medication. I am going to cut way down on my vaping and have ordered some lower mg liquid. I will update this post if it changes anything or not. If anyone has any similar experiences or thoughts please share.

I too suffer from panic attacks and anxiety including depersonalization which really sucks. I have noticed that drinking anything with caffeine aggravates it even more. Nicotine I can't really tell, but then again I've been smoking/vaping for years. Glad that you posted about this:)

BradN10

Verified Member
Mar 31, 2009
I'd be more inclined to 'blame' the medication than vaping. I suffered from crippling 'panic attacks/anxiety' disorder in my twenties.. waaaay before I ever smoked or vaped. For some reason, thankfully, I outgrew them.

I wish you luck in dealing with this disorder.... it's a horrible problem to live with. I hope in time yours passes as mine did. :wub:

Yes it is very horrible. What makes it worse is that doctors, family, and friends don't seem to completely understand and it can be hard to describe to someone. Medications so far hasn't done anything for me except for bad side effects. I started a self help book recently so hope that can do some good. Well good luck to everyone!

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Yes it is very horrible. What makes it worse is that doctors, family, and friends don't seem to completely understand and it can be hard to describe to someone. Medications so far hasn't done anything for me except for bad side effects. I started a self help book recently so hope that can do some good. Well good luck to everyone!

That is sadly so true BradN10. My Father thought I was a 'nut' job and my Mom had absolutely no idea how to deal with my 'head' problems.... (They apparently felt it was all in my head and had no idea it was a physiological issue due to most probably a chemical imbalance in the brain triggered by trauma, stress, drugs, what have you) The Doctors thought pretty much along the same lines and just keep throwing 'valium' at me as that's all they had back in 'those' days.... 1974. There wasn't even a 'name' for it then.... so "I" dubbed it my 'panic attacks'.... that's how alone I felt in the World.
My friends had no idea because I could never allow them to know how 'abnormal' I was. Going to bed was a nightmare because I seemed to suffer worse at bedtime.

I was lucky as mine passed after a couple of years. I remember repeating certain 'mantras' to myself that seemed to help over time; "This too shall pass"..... and after awhile you do realize even tho' it feels like you're going to die, you don't... so while it's never easy to deal with you somehow learn to cope (in a hopeless sort of way).

I think the self-help book is a good idea.... good luck with that & remember, you're not alone... :wub:

Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack this thread...... :blush:

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
New Zealand (Middle Earth, lol)
I kinda doubt nic could _cause_ anxiety, but as a stimulant it could very well contribute quite a bit.

Might seem like a weird suggestion, but perhaps (just an idea) you could switch to a wta e-liquid. They tend to be more relaxing, less stimulating. (of course with a lower nic content as well)

(Careful on your first puff, if you havent had wta's in a while, it may hit you just like low tolerance on a ciggie, a breif spell of dizziness etc)

Also, maybe get your thyroid checked, that can cause anxiety..also thyroid problems are frequently missed because the symptoms are non-specific. Doctors are real bad at catching this sorta stuff.

I know a few people with this sort of issue. If you get the blood test, and I suggest ya do, given the huge anxiety attack you had, make sure they test t3, and t4, and not just tsh.

Weight loss, weight gain? Heat or cold intolerance BTW? Real fast or slow heart rate?

(Some stuff that comes with the territory there)

Cheers..

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I still find difficult to understand why, most of the new born vaper are scared more from vaping (of wich we dont know too much) that is just a ipotetic risk, than of smoking than is a certain, well documented and proved risk.

I don't think it's that simple. I think that adding or subtracting ANYTHING that is a stimulant or depressant to a body has the possibility of creating a side effect.

My body was used to 1 cup of coffee in the a.m. and 1 in the late afternoon, + 10-15 rolled American Spirit cigarettes a day. Change that up, and you really don't know what you're going to get. :)

Nicotine is not absorbed and synthesized from my vape the same way it was from my roll your own. So, it took a little experimentation.

Blinx unfortunately found out the same thing, but the hard way. And it's unfortunate when one of our fellow vaporers goes thru such a scary experience.

Last year my doctor had me try a medication he described as "so gentle, I even give it to my pregnant patients". 10 hours later, I was at the ER, practically hallucinating off people's faces. Maybe the preggo women didn't drink coffee. :laugh:

EAddicted

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2012
Tokyo-Setagaya-Ward
What i learned was that Nicotine is working via the Sympathetic nervous system:
Alongside the other two components of the autonomic nervous system, the sympathetic nervous system aids in the control of most of the body's internal organs. Stress—as in the flight-or-fight response—is thought to counteract the parasympathetic system, which generally works to promote maintenance of the body at rest. In truth, the functions of both the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems are not so straightforward, but this is a useful rule of thum

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_nervous_system

Means that the Sympathetic nervous system is responsible for all things that should happen
without thinking, like your Heart-Beat (!!!), Breathing and Fear- Reaction- Solution (Run-away)

English is not my native Language and the best advice to you and all the other is to speak
with your Doc, he should be able to explain it
and of course you can start to research it by and for your self!

Ganbare

NickHead

Dec 9, 2012
South Africa
As a 30 year veteran of palps and Panic attacks, I must add this.
When I was smoking I got Tachycardia attacks where my pulse went to 140 bpm in an instant. This caused me to have panic attacks as I thought I was dying.
Then the panic attacks grew to Complex Tachycardia. Fast HB and skipped beats.
Since I started vaping at 18mg, I only get skipped HB's. I can live with this.

motelgrim

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
Florida

Hey this same thing happened to me sans the trip to the E.R.
Scared the living crap out of me and continues to plague me now for 3 days. At least until I dropped from 15mg to 6.
at 6 I have this happen far far less.
Anyway, the sublingual you are taking isn't a zinc or zinc-centric item is it? I realized I had been taking a zinc boost 100-150mg a day just before all this happened.
From my readings nicotine has an affinity for zinc. Ironically, I was taking the zinc to fix my loss of taste (which zinc depletion will cause) so go figure.

Good luck!

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I don't use caffeine in any form as I am diabetic with tachycardia. I even buy decaffeinated chocolate. :) Too long vaping 12mg nic in the morning will give me palpitations. I cut to 6mg then and am fine. I've even gone to zero nic before bed as nic is a stimulant. BUT, if I really need to focus on something, like taxes, I will have a 12mg standing by. LOL

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Sounds like a high nic/dehydration combo. Buy zero nic in the same flavor and cut your higher one with it. That's what I did/do in the afternoon. I have three mixes to use throughout the day each getting weaker as the day goes on with an occasional hit on the stronger one if needed. And stay hydrated.. even when fasting for lab work you're supposed to drink water. Water works best and don't do diet drinks which further dehydrate. Caffeine as well as artificial sweetener in the coffee also dehydrates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread