The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Hello and a Battery Question

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Catruya, Nov 23, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Catruya

Catruya New Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Hi! I'm new to these forums, I smoked for a few years, and I've been vaping for a few months.
    Anyway, I have one question: I have a Smok Alien 220w regulated mod that takes two batteries. My starting device, the eVic VTC-mini took one battery. I have several batteries that have been used a little with the eVic, all the same brand of 18650 ~3.7 volt rating. I am charging two of them together right now because I think I can "marry" them and use them with my new mod as a backup for the ones currently in it which are the same brand as well. The question is: will this work or do I have to buy new batteries? I don't really want to buy new batteries when I don't have to. I figured if I charged two of the same old ones together and used them in the new mod together, nothing bad would happen. However, I could be wrong. They've been used roughly the same amount of times. Is this safe?

2. mongo74

mongo74 I'm your huckleberry. ECF Veteran

Nov 15, 2016
    Ωhmsville
    I would personally recommend a new set of batteries, married from the day they come out of the packaging. You just can't be sure as to the exact age/usage of previous batteries. I'm sure someone else with more battery knowledge can chime in here as well. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. gandymarsh

gandymarsh Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2014
    WI, USA
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Beeker

Beeker Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 14, 2015
    Oklahoma
    If there's nothing physically wrong with those batteries, I see no technical reason why you can't at least try them out with your dual batt mod.

5. Catruya

Catruya New Member

Nov 23, 2016
    You were right, I charged them up, and fired the thing and took several hits. Nothing has happened so far. It doesn't seem like anything bad is happening

6. Cheallaigh

Cheallaigh Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    the issue is, they may not last/discharge for the same length of time, which can cause problems. I have 8 LG HG2 and one LG HE4(stays in my 521)... hubby and I both bought 160's on the weekend and new batteries sony VTC4s to go with them, safer and better for the mods.

• Like Like x 2
  7. djsvapour

djsvapour ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Well, no. Nothing bad will happen. In time though should one battery be less healthy than another, problems are likely to come into play. You have time, but eventually all batteries die.

• Like Like x 2
  8. daviedog

daviedog Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2013
    Florida
    Why tempt the Devil?..

• Like Like x 2
  9. steam heat

steam heat Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 29, 2015
    A married pair of batteries have ALWAYS been charged and discharged as a pair....if you took 2 batteries that have been previously used in a single battery mod and are now using them as a pair they are not a married pair. It may work but it is NOT safe, and as we all know safety is key!

• Like Like x 1
  10. steam heat

Dec 29, 2015
    Probably should do a Lil research before answering questions you don't know the answer to...... The op has a legitimate battery safety question that needs a factual answer not a misinformed opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  11. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined. All you need to know and then some.
    Might like to read:
    18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
    (9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
    (12) Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries - Part I | E-Cigarette Forum
    Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor

12. dc99

dc99 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2014
    earth
    If Im not mistaken Mooch is doing a test on this as we speak.

• Like Like x 3
  13. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    I have a cuboid, which I never use, that uses two batteries in series and appears to monitor them individually. The reason to do that might be to have the device stop firing when the weakest battery reaches the minimum voltage and stop charging when the strongest battery reaches it's max voltage. I'm not certain things work that way, that's a guess. I have no use for series setups because I never go above 30 watts. I have an iStick 50 which has two built in batteries,, probably wired in paralell. Presumably there are circuits to detect if one battery charges up or completely discharges before the other but may be with paralell wiring it doesn't matter? I'm not sure. Day to day I use single batter mods, mostly Pico or VTC mini.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steam heat

Dec 29, 2015
    Can ya post a link for us ....sounds like a good read. Thanks

15. medleypat

medleypat Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 5, 2016
    Frankfort Indiana
    Yes that test is going on now. For now DON'T do it you stated about the same age and charge/discharge cycles and there is the problem if one battery has an extra cycle on it it could be a little weaker then the other one and bad things can happen. Not worth the risk batteries are cheaper then dentist?

• Like Like x 2
  16. dc99

dc99 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2014
    earth
    Don't think he has put it on here yet. Like his page on FB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.