Hello and a Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catruya

Nov 23, 2016
Hi! I'm new to these forums, I smoked for a few years, and I've been vaping for a few months.
Anyway, I have one question: I have a smok Alien 220w regulated mod that takes two batteries. My starting device, the eVic VTC-mini took one battery. I have several batteries that have been used a little with the eVic, all the same brand of 18650 ~3.7 volt rating. I am charging two of them together right now because I think I can "marry" them and use them with my new mod as a backup for the ones currently in it which are the same brand as well. The question is: will this work or do I have to buy new batteries? I don't really want to buy new batteries when I don't have to. I figured if I charged two of the same old ones together and used them in the new mod together, nothing bad would happen. However, I could be wrong. They've been used roughly the same amount of times. Is this safe?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
You were right, I charged them up, and fired the thing and took several hits. Nothing has happened so far. It doesn't seem like anything bad is happening
Well, no. Nothing bad will happen. In time though should one battery be less healthy than another, problems are likely to come into play. You have time, but eventually all batteries die.

steam heat

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
If there's nothing physically wrong with those batteries, I see no technical reason why you can't at least try them out with your dual batt mod.
Probably should do a Lil research before answering questions you don't know the answer to...... The op has a legitimate battery safety question that needs a factual answer not a misinformed opinion.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi! I'm new to these forums, I smoked for a few years, and I've been vaping for a few months.
Anyway, I have one question: I have a Smok Alien 220w regulated mod that takes two batteries. My starting device, the eVic VTC-mini took one battery. I have several batteries that have been used a little with the eVic, all the same brand of 18650 ~3.7 volt rating. I am charging two of them together right now because I think I can "marry" them and use them with my new mod as a backup for the ones currently in it which are the same brand as well. The question is: will this work or do I have to buy new batteries? I don't really want to buy new batteries when I don't have to. I figured if I charged two of the same old ones together and used them in the new mod together, nothing bad would happen. However, I could be wrong. They've been used roughly the same amount of times. Is this safe?
Welcome and glad you joined. All you need to know and then some.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
(12) Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries - Part I | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I have a cuboid, which I never use, that uses two batteries in series and appears to monitor them individually. The reason to do that might be to have the device stop firing when the weakest battery reaches the minimum voltage and stop charging when the strongest battery reaches it's max voltage. I'm not certain things work that way, that's a guess. I have no use for series setups because I never go above 30 watts. I have an iStick 50 which has two built in batteries,, probably wired in paralell. Presumably there are circuits to detect if one battery charges up or completely discharges before the other but may be with paralell wiring it doesn't matter? I'm not sure. Day to day I use single batter mods, mostly Pico or VTC mini.

Reactions: Eskie

medleypat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2016
Frankfort Indiana
Yes that test is going on now. For now DON'T do it you stated about the same age and charge/discharge cycles and there is the problem if one battery has an extra cycle on it it could be a little weaker then the other one and bad things can happen. Not worth the risk batteries are cheaper then dentist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread