Hello and a bit of help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been vaping for years now. I started with the old blu's that required a separate atomizer and cartridge system. I switched to a 510 then to the newer ego's when they came out. I really love my ego - USB pass through for general use. I put a mini protank 2 on it and its good.

So... A buddy brought a mechanical mod to a party and I looked it over. Simple enough really, I checked out battery dangers, built a safety catch into my system, and with a bit of time on my hands anyway built a full tilt mech mod and a two to five contact rba.

I would give pics but newbies are prohibited from doing so.

This thing works great with an EVOD kangertech tank on it. The atomizer I made burns with no shorts or issues. So, here is the deal.

I watch videos of people building coils that read in the sub ohm range with the same wire. Some of them the 1-2 ohm range. I have 32 awg kanathal wire and can't figure it out! My ohms are always way higher, and when I try to burn higher than 2 ohms my coils come out weak and dim! As a matter of science the same alloy at the same gauge should be similar but I swear its not. My multimeter has a .2 ohm variance I am accounting for.

My batteries are new 16350's that came with a dragon pipe I got as a present.

Every contact I built into this device for main power is heavy enough for a 220 volt contact. I'm lost...Is it the battery?

And what is up with this wire being so resistant even though others seem to be getting way lower ohms out of the same stuff?

I thank you all in advance for any assistance or understanding you can provide.

The device is a completely self made item and is wholey mechanical. The rba is also hand made custom. The rba is three post inline, screwdown contacts 3.3mm apart with the center post providing positive current. The wick is 2mm eckowool. The wire is 32 AWG Kanathal round resistance wire. The issue is that even on the wick, with the coil wrapped on a 2.2mm rod, wick fed through and the coil spaced I'm getting high ohm readings, "high" being relative to what I'm seeing on similar builds online.

The main issue comes in where I'm getting weak glow and little burn out of the coils. The ohms I am aiming for are .6 on each coil. Two coils for 1.2 ohms total. The glow I get is even and dim and the length of wire I need in 32 gauge is about 11.3 mm when flat for .6 ohms. Much shorter than I see being used in videos that show coil readings of sub ohm with the same wire. Heck i cant even get the coil installed it is so short. Really I would go for any ohms that would glow and burn nicely. The thing that kills me is seeing videos of others doing exactly the same thing with different results.

I built the whole mod and it works with no shorts or cutouts, I built the rba with no shorts, item has resistance of its own anywhere and I have safety lockout on the cap so it cannot engage on its own. But I can't seem to make coils that will work...I wish I could post a pic of this...

I'm just trying to make a cloud of vapor on a mechanical mod and I am coming up way short. The batteries read at 4.1 volts coming off the charger they are rated at 900 mah. If there is any more info you need please feel free to ask cause I'm out of hair to pull.

I am literly laughing at myself right now. I got so wrapped up in the thing so that the battery would not blow my hand off that I forgot basic electronics. Man I wish I could post a pic of my small electronics work station right now in my shop...just to ice the cake.

For more humor you should see the tiny coils I tried to make. I mean tiny lol, this is what I get for asking, an answer that had it been a snake would have bit me right in the....

Thank you so much, honestly, I'm glad if I had to have a brain dead moment in this project that this was the facet it happened on...You sir or ma'am whichever the case may be, are a genius. ;)

Last edited:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
"I built the whole mod and it works with no shorts or cutouts, I built the rba with no shorts, item has resistance of its own anywhere and I have safety lockout on the cap so it cannot engage on its own. But I can't seem to make coils that will work...I wish I could post a pic of this..."

when you say this "item has resistance of its own". what item are you talking about?
i hope your not talking about the body of your mod. with the battery out, you should not get any sort of ohm reading. if you can get an ohm reading on your mod with no battery in it you have a short.
with the RBA on the mod and no coils on the RBA. if you hook up one meter lead to the positive post on the RBA and the other lead to the negative post the meter should not say anything.

I picked up a couple of high discharge rate sony batts today and am going to try twisted wire. I appreciate the information I got it working way better last night and expect by the end of the next couple of days to have something worth showing off if all goes well. Thank you all again so much it has been very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread