Status
Not open for further replies.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I've been a long time smoker who switched to vaping. I'm pretty much a poor newbie but doing my best. I mainly use pen style vapes sticking with kanger and smok that were given to me . My biggest problem is figuring out how much nicotine to vape . Too little and I want a cig. Too much and I get headaches.
This seems like an informed site so hopefully I can learn more and quit the cancer sticks for good. Thanks for having a place for newbies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I've been a long time smoker who switched to vaping. I'm pretty much a poor newbie but doing my best. I mainly use pen style vapes sticking with kanger and smok that were given to me . My biggest problem is figuring out how much nicotine to Vape . Too little and I want a cig. Too much and I get headaches.
This seems like an informed site so hopefully I can learn more and quit the cancer sticks for good. Thanks for having a place for newbies.

Welcome and congratulations on quitting! You’ll get some great advice from the experienced vapers as to nicotine levels!

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Welcome - what level of nicotine are you using? My trick that I still sometimes use is to buy 2 of the same flavor juices in 2 different nic levels and then you can mix up or down to find a good level. A lot of places may sell 12, 9 , 6 and 3 nicotine levels but you may need a different level. If let's say you are at 9 and get a headache but 6 is not enough, you can mix the two together to in varying amounts to get a better nic level. Maybe 7.5 will work. I use to order one at a high level and one at a zero nic level and mix down. I used a small 15ml bottle until I figured out what worked. Here's a calculator that can help eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hard to say on your nic level, as type of device, length of puff, time spent vaping will all affect things. The suggestion to get a higher and a 0 level nicotine flavor to mix at various strengths is a good one. Most importantly as you are doing that, start recognizing when you get sx of overload and try to slow or stop.

I would think erring on the side of "low" would give you more opportunity to vape slightly longer at a sitting, and that may be helpful as you are transitioning (I chain vaped like crazy during detox).

You could consider having a higher nicotine setup on hand for stressful moments, or times where you have to wait to vape. That might cover those times if you only have a short break and etc.

What level of nicotine is seeming to work best so far?

Finally, congrats on switching to vaping and welcome to ECF.

Anna

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Right now I've got liquid with nicotine from 24 to 3. Anything over 11 seems too high so I dilute it with 0 to 5% nicotine eliquid.' Since I just quit smoking I've been chain vaping so I try to lower the nicotine to avoid a headache.
I'm using a kangertech subvod mega 2300, a smok baby, and a smok baby alien. I have no idea about the coils My friend provided them when she sent me the vapes. From what I have I prefer the kangers (I have 3 of the same model) with the air vent thingie slightly opened.
I'm not sure at all about the MTL or DL.
I'm sorry I'm so ignorant about the details. I only know this is the only thing that's actually helping me quit smoking and I'd like to learn more. Thank you all for your welcome and your help.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay, first step to learning more-- you can read your coil's resistance ON the coil (it's printed in tiny letters) as well as (usually) a manufacturer's wattage recommendation. That's a guide, you can vape below it and many people do, vaping HIGHER than recommended however, will likely shorten your coils life.

If you are sub0ming (less than 1.0 resistance but most "cloudy" setups are lower than that) at fairly high wattage, you would do better with lower nicotine than a smaller setup, which isn't providing the same "volume" of vapor than a direct lung setup (sub0hm setup), which is typically vaped at lower nicotine. Many sub0hm vapers are vaping in the 3--9 mg/ml range, while MTL vapers using higher resistance coils are often in the 12--24 range, or even higher.

You tailor your eliquids to the type of vape you are using and then fine tune from there, as everyone reacts to and vapes a little differently. Even length of inhale can make a difference. If you are in a "safe zone" for your vape, and if you aren't getting nicotine overload and feel you are vaping "enough" you are probably fine.

If you are getting headaches, dizziness, etc., then you can look at lowering your nicotine and vaping less and/or both. If you aren't having problems, then the number you've arrived at (by whatever process) is probably fine.

But, knowing your own coil's resistance and how much wattage you are using would probably help you figure out where you "need to kind of be" and those coils will need to be replaced at some point so knowing what you are USING is kind of important, so you can continue vaping successfully.

Many tanks come with a variety of coils, designed to be vaped at different wattages, etc., so if you got a kit, you need to know what resistance and type of coils came with it, as there can be wide variations in coil type in some setups. Etc.

Anna

• Informative
Reactions: Baditude

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I'm sorry I'm so ignorant about the details. I only know this is the only thing that's actually helping me quit smoking and I'd like to learn more. Thank you all for your welcome and your help.

Nothing to be Sorry about. We all Started with Limited or No Knowledge of all the Details e-Cigarette-wise.

Just keep Plodding along Anise. It sounds like you are Doing Fine.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Right now I've got liquid with nicotine from 24 to 3. Anything over 11 seems too high so I dilute it with 0 to 5% nicotine eliquid.' Since I just quit smoking I've been chain vaping so I try to lower the nicotine to avoid a headache.
I'm using a kangertech subvod mega 2300, a smok baby, and a smok baby alien. I have no idea about the coils My friend provided them when she sent me the vapes. From what I have I prefer the kangers (I have 3 of the same model) with the air vent thingie slightly opened.
I'm not sure at all about the MTL or DL.
I'm sorry I'm so ignorant about the details. I only know this is the only thing that's actually helping me quit smoking and I'd like to learn more. Thank you all for your welcome and your help.
It is good that you are cutting down. if the 5.5% too low you can mix it differently. You can use 3/4 of the 11 e liquid and 1/4 of the 0 and that would get you to 8.25%. I like and use Kangertech stuff too.

Reactions: stols001

Hoopie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Welcome and congrats. Today is my 4 year anniversary since my last cigarette. Vaping will become easier the more you become comfortable with the various aspects. Hang in there and you've found a great place to get the info you need to change your life for the better!

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread