Status
Not open for further replies.

MsShona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
McKeesport, PA, USA
www.rishona.net
Hello everyone! I'm new to the entire vaping thing, but first, let me give a bit of background about my smoking...

I started smoking when I was 12. My best friend smoked, and while I never brought a pack of my own, hanging out with her, she would always give me a cigarette and I would give her a couple of bucks towards a pack. I went to college in sunny Daytona Beach, FL in the late 90s, where surfers introduced me to clove cigarettes. Daytona had some awesome smoke shops and cloves and bidis became "my thing". However I didn't want to smoke that stuff all the time. I started to pick up Marlboro menthol lights for just smoking when going out to drink and what not.

After college I quit. But then would pick up a pack here and there....especially if I was going out. I switched to very light, pricey cigarettes....Capri menthols. I met my boyfriend 3 years ago and he's a pack a day Newport smoker. Needless to say, we don't bum each other's cigs!

Because I really don't feel like I'm addicted to nicotine, I never considered e-cigarettes...which for me, were those ciga-wannabe things in the gas station. My boyfriend got a job working nights in a warehouse, and picked up an njoy disposable...so that he wouldn't have to run outside in the cold and have someone let him in and out just to smoke (the doors are locked at night). While he said they were convenient, I found them to be a rip-off. They were like $8, and he would tap one out in a night. This actually made them more expensive than cigarettes. He agreed, and stopped getting them after a month or so. He said that one of his co-workers had a Blu rechargable...and those are more cost effective. But he wasn't willing to shell out the bucks on a starter kit.

I got a new job this past April. Before I was working for an engineering company in the suburbs (where I was the only person who smoked), now I'm downtown in a 50 floor office building. There are several smokers on my team...a few which have e-cigarettes. About a month ago I was talking to one, and she explained that the real cost savings with e-cigarettes come from the tank models that you re-fill yourself. They also taste and perform better than the disposables. I was interested and I started to research online. Whoa! Very overwhelming! I shelved the idea for a minute.

Then two weeks ago, we go out to dinner for my boyfriend's birthday. Surprise, surprise...his brother switched to e-cigarettes! Again, someone else was raving about them! My boyfriend thought the setup (tank, battery, mouthpiece) looked kinda hokey. But I thought it was cool.

This past weekend, I received coupons for a free Vuse e-cigarette with 2 extra refill cartridges. I had 4 cigarettes left, so I let my boyfriend try it first. He said that it tasted and hit better than the Njoy...and he thought that it was cool that it was rechargeable. I tried it, but I found the menthol to be overwhelmingly strong. I also found myself choking on the vapor (reading reviews, a lot of people experienced this with Vuse). However I did get used to the taste...and while it is really strong, it is a "clean" menthol taste. I adjusted to take smaller drags, and no more choking!

The Vuse works ok, but I'm going to ditch it this weekend and get another brand...like Halo or V2. Why? Well I want a larger selection of flavors for one. But the big thing is the nicotine. I have no need for so much nicotine in an e-cig. For me it's really overkill. Also, my Vuse was free, but I think that in the long run, with regular use, it will be a rip-off. I plan to give it to my boyfriend. So that he can use it part-time in the warehouse if he wants.

This past week I really like how clean e-cigarettes are compared to conventional ones. No ashtrays and no lighters to fiddle with. Also, while the smell of cigarettes doesn't completely disgust me, it is annoying to have a smoldering cigarette in the ashtray smelling up everything...especially your fingers. Oh, and I can't stand smoking in the car....especially in the wintertime. And I can actually lay in my bed with an e-cigarette. Something that never worked with conventional cigarettes (unless I wanted my blankets smelling like cigarettes).

The only reservation I have is costs. I would by 2, maybe 3 at the most...packs a week for cigarettes. That's only $45-$70 a month. Most starter kits are at least that much, and I don't know if it will last a month. I don't think that I'm going to go with the tank option right now, although I can see me going that route eventually (next year maybe). I feel like I need to do more research. I have an associate's degree in electronics so I can see me getting all crazy with the mods. For now...I just want to get started!

Nice to meet all of you!

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Welcome to the forum, MsShona, and congratulations on quitting!

Yes, there are a LOT of options available, and as far as spending money, the sky (or your bank account) is the limit, but you don't need to spend a ton of money to vape.

There's a lot of really good stuff on the market these days, with more "newer, better" things coming out all the time.

Fortunately you're in the right place to search for advice!

pomtini

Nov 15, 2014
United States
I live outside of Pittsburgh, but I come to the city quite frequently. Just wanted to say Hello! I'm fairly new to all of this, too. I just started vaping in late August, I believe. Within a couple of weeks, I quit smoking completely which wasn't even my intention. The traditional e-cigs hadn't worked for me, but a friend introduced me to the $15 eGo T (AKA eGo CE4) tank vape pen. Cheap and easy! :).

Good luck!

joesquid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Chesapeake, Va
Welcome to ECF. Glad to have you aboard. I never tried cigalike but have read here they are really more expensive than using a tank system and not as effective. You can pick up a Ego battery and a tank like a Kanger Mini Protank 2 pretty cheaply online. Much cheaper than the starter kits you're talking about.

MsShona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
McKeesport, PA, USA
www.rishona.net
I live outside of Pittsburgh, but I come to the city quite frequently. Just wanted to say Hello! I'm fairly new to all of this, too. I just started vaping in late August, I believe. Within a couple of weeks, I quit smoking completely which wasn't even my intention. The traditional e-cigs hadn't worked for me, but a friend introduced me to the $15 eGo T (AKA eGo CE4) tank vape pen. Cheap and easy! :).

Good luck!

Awesome! Yeah I've been eyeing the eGo systems. That will probably be my next step. Are there any good vape shops in the area?

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum MsShona. Glad to have you here!:)

If you are looking for a setup here are some possible options for you to consider:

1. JoyeTech Ego-C Twist
2. Vision Spinner
3. Innokin iTaste vv v3
4. Innokin iTaste MVP v2

The first 3 are fall into the "ego style" category of battery (with variable voltage). They range in size from 600mah to 1300mah. The higher the mah the longer the battery will last between charging. The 4th one is a step up from an "ego style" battery in that it is a smaller box mod with a very big battery (2600mah). It will last many vapers a whole day before it needs recharging. It is probably one of the most popular batteries for someone upgrading from an "ego style" battery. Some vapers choose to buy one "ego style" battery as a backup and also purchase the MVP for their main battery.

I suggest buying from reputable e-cig vendors such as AltSmoke, Discount Vapors, My Vapor Store, etc. Buy only name brand Joyetech Twist or Vision Spinner ego batteries. BTW, "ego" is merely a type of battery, not a brand name. Buying "generic" ego batteries is always going to be hit or miss...mostly miss.

You will need to purchase a tank (the juice attachment) with the first three on the above list. The mini Nautillus, mini Aerotank or regular size Aerotank (all made of glass & all have adjustable airflow control) are very popular. The MVP Kit comes with a tank but it is not glass.

Why would you want glass (you may be thinking)? Here's a blog post for you. Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

MsShona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
McKeesport, PA, USA
www.rishona.net
Ok just an update. After a valiant run, I think I'm over the Vuse. My BF wiped out a cartridge on his own using it on two overnight shifts in the warehouse. So I'm down to 1 cartridge (out of 3). I've been taking some puffs here and there during the day. However the taste just isn't doing it for me. A co-worker let me have 3 menthol lights (he was getting ready to catch a flight...didn't want to carry the almost-empty pack), and the taste was just sooooo much better than the Vuse! Not a good thing. Oh well.

Friday is payday for me, and I plan to take a trip over to Creekside Vapes in White Oak (VERY close to me), and see what they have. If nothing appeals, I might go with the Superior Starter Kit from Apollo.

BoomerFZ1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa
Welcome MsShona...from da Burgh here as well. There are a few great shops in the area...Steel City Vapors has a couple one of which is in the USC area and I think the other is downtown somewhere. Bridgville has Vape Crusades which is a great place. Very nice folks at both shops. The other I tried in the area is Kick 'n Butts near Robinson but they seem to be geared toward a more advnaced vape client. Good luck.

MsShona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
McKeesport, PA, USA
www.rishona.net
Ok so here's the update. I ended up going to Steel City Vapors in Monroeville and got the eGo Clearomizer Kit with the upgraded 1100 mAh battery. I got 3 10ml bottles of e-liquid (Mt. Baker & Mr. E-Liquid brands). I only got 1 tank though, so I'm vaping on the Mr. E-Liquid's Menthol Light. It's great, especially compared to the menthol Vuse (which seems so harsh by comparison). I also got Mr. E-Liquid's G.T.F.O. flavor and the Mt. Baker's Apple Rings. All 12 mg nicotine.

Surprise, surprise, my BF revealed that someone lost a Bulldog brand e-cig in his store a few months back. But he didn't know anything about it or if it worked (it was dead). I charged it up and it works! So in actuality I have two batteries. :D

The tank on the Bulldog doesn't hit as well as my new tank (a cheapie eGo Clearomizer). But the Bulldog hits better on the new tank than my "upgraded" battery (but the difference isn't major).

I plan to get an upgraded tank (perhaps the Apsire CE5 BDC) in the next two weeks or so. For now, I'm enjoying vaping (and drinking....vaping seems to dehydrate me). :)

MsShona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
McKeesport, PA, USA
www.rishona.net
So here's my update a month into it now:

1) My Bulldog battery is turning out to be a dud. This is the one that my BF found in his store, so who knows how old it is. I gravitated towards it because it has a cool LED on the bottom that lights up when you fire it. But other than that...it's problems. I find that eGo threaded tanks will screw on to it but not always work. It's not the tanks, because they work on the no-name eGo battery we brought from the vape shop. Also it no longer connects well with the charger. I guess the threading is stripped (???). And yesterday I had it in my pocket, went to grab it out, and it broke in two. At first I was horrified that it was ruined, but then saw that basically the top part with the button popped off, and the wires were all still connected. So I jammed it back together. Still works. But Now I'm handling like an egg in fear that it will fall apart again. Grrrrr. I'll be ordering a new battery this weekend!

2) I'm just about done with my 10 mL bottle of menthol e-liquid. It's my favorite daily vape. About 1/2 done with my 10 mL bottle of Mr. E-Liquid (G.T.F.O.). Didn't hardly put a dent in my other two 10 mL bottles. So juice is lasting a looong time for me. Plus for sure! :D

3) I ordered a lot of 10 CE4 clearomizers on eBay for $14.99 (includes shipping). The awesome price was muted by slow (like super slow) shipping and two DOA clearomizers in the bunch. I know that you get what you pay for, so I'm not totally bent out of shape over it. But, a letdown.

4) Since getting my kit, I've noticed that most of my local gas stations have vaping supplies. In fact, because my ebay clearomizers took so long to get here, I brought a blister pack of Zig-Zag brand clearomizers. Not the best price at $9.99 for two, but hey, the tank on my Bulldog was cracked, so I needed something...

5) My BF tends to like the higher nicotine e-juices. My 12 mg wasn't doing it for him. He brought his own 18 mg and 24 mg juices from a local vendor. I think they were $7.99 and $3.99 respectively (one was mixed by them, the other was pre-packaged). He still smokes his analogs too. Although I think the vaping has put a dent in it.

Overall it's going great! I haven't had a cigarette since I've started vaping (not too surprised....I've quit cold turkey several times in the past). At first I was worried about the ongoing cost of vaping, but that doesn't seem to bad. I'm kinda bummed that I have to buy another battery this early on though. Even though the Bulldog battery was free anyway. I thought that I would be ok with just one battery (before I realized that my BF would be doing it too anyway...).

Oh, and I've only had one random person on the street in downtown Pittsburgh ask me about my e-cigarette. Which is fine by me...I'm not an attention seeker anyway :p

MsShona

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
McKeesport, PA, USA
www.rishona.net
Hey another update already! So I go to the local vape shop after I discovered that yet another one of the disposable eBay CE4-style clearomizers wouldn't work on the Bulldog. I was so done!

I figured I would pick up a standard eGO battery...and maybe another charger too, since my BF and I bump heads sharing the one. They confirmed that the threads on the Bulldog were indeed stripped. But also the eBay clearomizer was junk too (it wouldn't fire on any battery).

They successfully upsold me to the Kanger EMOW kit. I honestly wasn't looking to spend a bunch of money. However two things swayed me: #1 - he actually took the time to show and explain the ends and outs of working with a glass clearomizer and changing the coils and what not....wasn't as bad as I thought and #2 - the performance on the EMOW was extraordinary compared to what I was used to (non-variable voltage, set airflow).

So for about $55 I got the EMOW kit - which had the charger and 5 coils and a tank full of e-liquid (5 ml on the house). :) $30 more than I was planning to spend, but if I can avoid these pesky disposable tanks, I figure it will even out.

I haven't seen many reviews on the EMOW kit. Most people seem to feel that it is an upgrade over the EVOD (which there are TONS of reviews on). Like I said before, the performance to me is awesome. Lots of vapor...seems really well made. But 2 days into it, I have noticed the following:

#1 - the metal drip tip on the MOW tank gets hot! :evil: I actually hurt my lip trying it out in the store. I picked up a clear plastic, contoured drip tip to use instead. It feels more comfortable in my mouth anyway. But wow...I'm surprised there isn't more of a murmur about this!

#2 - the tank window is tough to deal with. Yes, I'm used to totally transparent top coils. But when I fill the Kanger MOW tank almost to the brim of the center airflow, I re-install the coil, turn it over, put it on the battery, and the window only shows it's 2/3 full. I understand that a bunch of e-liquid sits in the bottom below the window line. But as a gauge to show me how much liquid is left...it's pretty useless I feel. :(

#3 - that fire button is soooo smooth! Too smooth. I had a tough time using it in the car last night. I was never sure if my finger was on the fire button or not...it's just that smooth.

Overall I'm excited though. I feel like I have a "real" PV now! :D

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Your friend was right that the real savings come from refilling; but you can end up spending and spending and spending. You can save the cash by refilling the ciga-like cartomizers too, especially if you already have them. Buy a bottle of eliquid and steal a paperclip from work and you're set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread