Hello! Looking to switch from Blu...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kac12

Jan 19, 2013
Iowa
Hi everyone, I'm new around here. I've read threads here from time to time, but only being an occasional vaper I never joined. This year I finally put down analogs for good and have been vaping pretty regularly for the last 3 weeks or so.

I bought a Blu starter kit almost 2 years ago and have used it in my off and on vaping, but now that I'm using it regularly I'm finding that it isn't really giving me what I want/need. The vapor/throat hit are acceptable to me, but the battery life and cartomizer life are lacking. I find I'm going through cartridges way too quickly for the cost of them! About a year ago I bought some juice from PEC smoke shop to try to refill dead Blu cartridges. This was, again, only acceptable to me, and certainly not ideal.

So now I'm here reading everything I can and looking to upgrade my system to something with a better battery life, preferably a PCC, and refillable cartomizers. Advice is welcome and needed! I'm overwhelmed with options!

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Lots will tell you the Vamo while it is cheap enough its not to reliable and is most certainly not quality. I would advise the Joker from The Joker Edge Its a very simple durable great preforming mod American made with builder support and guarantee.
I like 801 fusion and Ikenvape platinum smoktek 4.5 carts. Id also suggest a glass carto tank with ss caps.

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
Welcome and bravo! I am in the middle of the same switch. I've been off analogs for 35'ish days and love it. I bought the blu and its worked great to give me a taste of vaping. The $60i spent on the kit would have need better spent elsewhere. I've found the exact same problems as you.
This morning I bought a blu kit from cignot.com. I also bought some different delivery systems to try out. A clearo, carto, LR carto. I can't wait till they get here. They didn't have much selection on liquid so in shopping for that now. I decided on the ego. As far as I can tell its a tried and true device that's very flexible. I should be able to set it up quite nicely once I figure out what I like. Good luck.

Beretta

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
Mars
Kanger T3s are pretty good but mine only last for bout 5 refills then they burn out taste wise.

Have you tried cleaning out the bottom coil units with Vodka or rubbing alcohol? Let it soak for 24 hours in either one with the center post removed, and all seals removed. I came back 24 hours later and everything was cleaned off. Haven't tested it yet to see how it vapes.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
I'd like to spend around $100 or less to upgrade, but I'm also hoping that spending that on an upgrade will save me $$ over time where the Blu cost more and more in carts.

I should mention that I *prefer* the mini-style e-cigs, but only because the other styles intimidate me since I don't know much yet.

You Tube videos are ESSENTIAL to a satisfactory vaping experience -- they bridge the HUGE gap between current comfort level and what you are easily capable of being comfortable with.

If your preference is not strong, I'd suggest NOT a kit, but rather what you need -- 2 batteries and 1-2 chargers and something on top.

I really really think a low-end VV like the spinner or ego twist is worth it because then you can adjust to account for differences in the things you are trying on top. If the $30 price per battery is too scary for you, get 1 and use your old blu's for backup during charging.

A polypropylene tank from Valley View Vapes, with a fill screw on the side, and a tank tool (MANDATORY with tanks!) is a much cheaper alternative than a pyrex tank with SS caps, but on the other hand, it's a little messy at first. Personally, I think going to a ViVi Nova is 95% as easy as refilling cartos, as long as you don't leave the heads loose when you screw them in.

If you had not said that your newness is the only think keeping you on cig lookalikes I'd have said to go to Smokeless Image and get, not a kit, but 2 of their X2's or 1 X2 and 1 lookalike, and a flavor sample kit (and a charger and the 1.5-amp adapter)

kac12

Jan 19, 2013
Iowa
Thanks for all the advice so far! I've been looking at a few eGO-C twist style batteries. This one seemed appealing as an intro since it has the one 900mAH batter, a charger, and a CE4 Clearomizer for $29.99. I could always get another battery and clearo if I like it, if not I'm out $30 and can try a different battery or cartridge or whatever.

Ego-C Twist Starter Kits (Mini)

As a side note, I'm not really sure on the differences between cartridges/atomizers, cartomizers, tanks, clearomizers, etc. I get that the cartos are one piece vs the two piece cart/atomizer, but I'm really lost when it comes to tanks and clearos.

daddytwigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2012
New Hampshire
What is the price range you are looking for, post back and let us know. If you to go cheap then I would recommend an eGo battery. This really doesn't matter witch manufacturer you get it from, an eGo is an eGo. My fiance has had Riva 510 for over a long time and refuses to upgrade

Egos are pretty easy to use, and the small one (650 mah, I believe) is only about 100 mm long with a decent clearo/carto. It's a bit bigger than a blu, but there are lanyards available for it that make it not so cumbersome. Batteries last up to 6 hrs.
510s are great to. Not alot bigger than a blue. They come with their own little pcc and batteries last (3hrs?, kinda fuzzy on that.)
For either on, you should be able to get a couple batteries, one charger, juice, couple cartos/clearos and a thing to carry it in for well under $100.

Beretta

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
Mars
Thanks for all the advice so far! I've been looking at a few eGO-C twist style batteries. This one seemed appealing as an intro since it has the one 900mAH batter, a charger, and a CE4 Clearomizer for $29.99. I could always get another battery and clearo if I like it, if not I'm out $30 and can try a different battery or cartridge or whatever.

As a side note, I'm not really sure on the differences between cartridges/atomizers, cartomizers, tanks, clearomizers, etc. I get that the cartos are one piece vs the two piece cart/atomizer, but I'm really lost when it comes to tanks and clearos.

I've heard of bad cracking and leaking issues with the CE4 Clearomizer. Get some Kanger T3 bottom coil units. They work well for me. If you get one (or three, one for each flavor), READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. DO NOT unscrew using the plastic tank, unscrew using the metal ring, which is the bottom coil unit. If you unscrew using the tank, it will lead to leaking and flooding of the battery. This is not a design flaw, it's just how it is intended to work.

daddytwigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2012
New Hampshire

It all comes down to preference.in a nutshell, Cartos have filler material that absorbs the juice and a coil that heats it, and are refillable a few times. When the juice tastes burnt you toss it out. Clearos have wicks, and a heating coil. you can see the juice level. A lot of them are rebuildable, which means you can change the heating element(coil) when the juice tastes burnt.theyre cleanable too. Tanks are great, but I'm a little clumsy, and haven't had a lot of success with them.

kac12

Jan 19, 2013
Iowa
It all comes down to preference.in a nutshell, Cartos have filler material that absorbs the juice and a coil that heats it, and are refillable a few times. When the juice tastes burnt you toss it out. Clearos have wicks, and a heating coil. you can see the juice level. A lot of them are rebuildable, which means you can change the heating element(coil) when the juice tastes burnt.theyre cleanable too. Tanks are great, but I'm a little clumsy, and haven't had a lot of success with them.

Thanks for that info! I think the clearo seems like the best choice for me from watching a few videos.

One more question for the crowd (and I'm sure it won't be my last) is automatic vs manual batteries. I've been using the Blu automatic batteries and like that I can just inhale to vape, but they end up going off ALOT when I'm not actually vaping, probably contributing to the lower battery life. For those with experience with manual batteries, how much of a PITA are they? Is it worth it? Do you see longer battery life?

daddytwigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2012
New Hampshire
Manual if its available
U won't even think about it after a few draws. One thing with clearos, draw a second or two, then push the button. It will ensure the wick is saturated and minimize "dry hits"
Oh, and go with 50/50 juice or higher (1/2 PGand1/2 VG). JMHO, this wicks the best and gives the best throat hit. VG is very thick, and will clog clearos in 2.2 if you're not careful. More PG than VG (60/40 or 70/30) works great too.
Um, PG is propylene glycol. VG is vegetable glycerin. Most juice makers will ask what concentration you prefer.
The higher th PG, the more throat hit. The higher VG, more cloud.
Blu (its been a few years, so flame me if im wrong), uses 100% VG, which is great for clearos, but if you want that "uhh" that you miss from smoking, go with the higher, or at least 50/50 PGVG.
confused? Relax, don't worry.keep your stick on the ice. We have been there and are here for you

james chapman

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Kerrville Texas
Kac, I was a Blu user and much like your experience,found I needed to move on to bigger and better. I am 50 and thought I would never stop smoking,that was 19 months ago. A Blu friend led me to Vape dudes and the Ego-T. I was intimidated by the size and if I could grasp something new. I went from the Ego atomizer and tanks,to the Vision CE4. I was really intimidated by the Texas Tuff tank,but watched the video. I use an Ego-t and Texas Tuff tank and the flavors really pop. The Dudes,when they have it have a great deal on the Ego 1000,for 38.00,but you can get them anywhere. The cartos end up a lot cheaper than the CE4s,too if you get a dead CE4,boom 5.00 gone. Good luck to you,on quitting.

kac12

Jan 19, 2013
Iowa
Manual if its available
U won't even think about it after a few draws. One thing with clearos, draw a second or two, then push the button. It will ensure the wick is saturated and minimize "dry hits"
Oh, and go with 50/50 juice or higher (1/2 PGand1/2 VG). JMHO, this wicks the best and gives the best throat hit. VG is very thick, and will clog clearos in 2.2 if you're not careful. More PG than VG (60/40 or 70/30) works great too.
Um, PG is propylene glycol. VG is vegetable glycerin. Most juice makers will ask what concentration you prefer.
The higher th PG, the more throat hit. The higher VG, more cloud.
Blu (its been a few years, so flame me if im wrong), uses 100% VG, which is great for clearos, but if you want that "uhh" that you miss from smoking, go with the higher, or at least 50/50 PGVG.
confused? Relax, don't worry.keep your stick on the ice. We have been there and are here for you

Great, thanks for that info! I think I'm definitely gonna go manual on this go-around.

After looking at all these suggestions, right now I'm leaning toward the smokeless image X2 batteries - probably one 900mAh and one 650mAh and the X2 clearos. Price point seems good, I like the color options (I'm still a girl...), and I like the included charger with the X2 batteries with passthrough capabilities. Seems like everything I'm looking for right now.

I'll probably place my order later on this weekend unless anyone says STOP, WAIT, NO, DON'T!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread