Hello World!

Status
Not open for further replies.

owningtheday

Jan 14, 2014
England
So here I am, on my nth quit, on my maybe 4th serious quit attempt... thing is, this time I mean it, as much as I did last time, and some? Why? Because this quit is all about me, no-one else. I'm owningtheday one day at a time.

Tried most cessation stuff, including CT. Finally got myself a nifty little e-juice device. After spilling it first time round, it took a little while before I remembered I'd been smoking up to 30 a day for nearly 30 years, save a year, and I was going to be ok, after coming here for reassurance.

So, I'm here now, on day 3 without tobacco.

hiram13pm

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Merced, CA
It'll work. Just remember, this isn't like AA where you have to turn in your chip and start over if you break down & have a real one. My best advice is don't try too hard; just enjoy your new toy :) If you have an analog or two, don't beat yourself up; concentrate on all the ones you didn't smoke that day & not the ones you did.

You'll suddenly realize one day, "wow, it's been (x) days since I smoked...".

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
congratulations, I agree with the op don't sweat it, I have no doubt you will be saying I did it. I am a 40 yr 30 to 35 a day smoker who quit more by accident than by brute force -smoked and vaped for the first six weeks until I was down to 1/2 a cig a day which I could hardly stand -no cigarette for over 3 months now -don't miss them at all - vaping is the cats meow

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hello owningtheday and welcome to the forum. For the first two weeks analog free I was pretty much in shock at how easy it was to get off the cigs. It was like I was waiting for something to go really wrong or there was a catch to vape. It didn't and there isn't. Enjoy your journey.

Reactions: Puff2K

hiram13pm

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Merced, CA
My first cigalike was overpriced, underpowered, and tasted the way my cat's box smells... but it proved to me that these things work. Within a week and a half, I'd moved up to Joye 510's, and eGo's a month later... 3 months after that I was on mechanical mods & building my own.

Anyway, I got this first wimpy little thing on a Sunday night. I was smoking about a pack and a half a day at the time, and had been for 26 years. Monday: 13 cigs. Tuesday: 9. Wednesday: 3, with my last one at 2 in the afternoon, and after that one, I gave the other two left in the pack to a co-worker. "You want these man? I don't need 'em anymore". That was May 5th, 2010.

Fun things that happened to me; may or may not happen to you....

After about a week and a half, I realized that I had to wash every piece of clothing I owned. And my walls. And steam clean the carpet. When your sense of smell comes back, it's both good and bad, lol...

Two or two and half weeks later, as I recall, I was going into my usual morning 30 minutes of hacking (sometimes with the bonus dry heaves) from all those years of 'baccy. All of a sudden I started coughing up some of the nastiest brown gunk I'd ever seen. I almost freaked out, I was seriously considering going to the hospital or something. That is, right up until I inhaled deeply & noticed my lung capacity had gone up by 40-50%.

I think it was shortly after that episode that I was napping on the couch on my day off. I was in that fuzzy place between awake and asleep, and all of a sudden I got this creepy feeling that something wasn't right. As if something didn't *sound* right in the house. I actually had my hand in the coffee table drawer & on my 9mm when I realized what it was: I couldn't hear myself breathing. The 'out-of-tune bagpipes' wheeze that had lulled me to sleep for years was gone.

Oh, one downside: Once your sense of taste returns with your sense of smell (give it a month or two), you may have trouble eating at a drive-through. You're about to rediscover why they call it "junk food". It took me about six months to build up my tolerance again, lol.

Oh, and drink a lot of water. The only, and I mean ONLY, honestly bad side effect I've had in the last five years is dehydration; both PG and VG are hygroscopic (they suck up water), and will dry you out. Always have some beverages handy.

Have fun on the journey. We're pulling for you.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I'm 41 and had a heart attack on Dec. 30, 2014. The doctors said that if I hadn't smoked, the arteries around my heart would have been able to expand enough so my heart would receive the blood it needed. Tar hardens your arteries. Since I don't knowingly eat tar, I blame cigarettes. Stress was a factor and maybe my diet could have been better but that's not what I was told by every cardiologist I've spoken with. My point is, you may have just saved your life by switching. I'll ask you how you like vaping in 30 years now that we've quit cigarettes. :)

owningtheday

Jan 14, 2014
England
Well. I'm good. Haven't looked at an analogue, thought of one once. Ok, small problems... dry eyes and the possibilty of a headache behind my eyes... and some form of detachment. All down to dehydration or maybe a little bit too much juice? I mean, I'm alright, not sick, just aware of it all. Could it be that the caffeine in my coffee is being absorbed better?

TotemHarpy

Jun 7, 2015
Mississippi, US
Welcome and congrats on the switch! I was a 16yr 2pack a day smoker, and I've been off for 10days. I haven't even thought of picking up a smoke. I've tried to quit so so many times, but this is the first time it's worked and not be a constant battle staring at the lighter twitching and wishing. I will say though that I did have a headache for the first 3-4days, I hacked up half a lung every morning until a few days ago, and my muscles hurrrrt so bad (now that is finally gone). For the first few days I had the weirdest feeling, like I was forgetting something, and I suddenly realized that it's because I wasn't following the usual habit and stepping out to smoke every 30min. I believe all of these are withdrawal symptoms. Keep at it and it will stop I'm sure. So far I couldn't be more thrilled with my progress, and you will be too =)

Reactions: owningtheday

owningtheday

Jan 14, 2014
England
Welcome and congrats on the switch! I was a 16yr 2pack a day smoker, and I've been off for 10days. I haven't even thought of picking up a smoke. I've tried to quit so so many times, but this is the first time it's worked and not be a constant battle staring at the lighter twitching and wishing. I will say though that I did have a headache for the first 3-4days, I hacked up half a lung every morning until a few days ago, and my muscles hurrrrt so bad (now that is finally gone). For the first few days I had the weirdest feeling, like I was forgetting something, and I suddenly realized that it's because I wasn't following the usual habit and stepping out to smoke every 30min. I believe all of these are withdrawal symptoms. Keep at it and it will stop I'm sure. So far I couldn't be more thrilled with my progress, and you will be too =)

Thanks... I'm thinking it's all down to quitting those crappy chemicals in the tobacco more than anything. Yes, I was kind of on the cusp of quitting for a while, day 4 of no cigarettes (co test last Thursday so yes it's 4 full days. I gave her my analogues to destroy). Not coughing out any gunk to speak of yet... then again I'm on stomach meds so... anyhow certainly feeling better, in some intangible way. Well done you too! :)

Reactions: TotemHarpy

owningtheday

Jan 14, 2014
England
Thanks for all your support in this thread, folks. What was I smoking, analogue-wise? Probably 10-20 a day, packet tobacco with menthol tips. Funny, I got up to go for a smoke earlier... forgetting I don't smoke any more. So, I'm probably using about 4mls of 18mg/24 hours. Looking around here, I see that that's not what I'm taking in though, it's like 20% of that. I kicked the patch yesterday. Yeah that wasn't working. It wasn't helping my oral fixation or whatever it is. More importantly, it wasn't me having something to do with my hands, to have with my coffee, to sit and puff away on while thinking, and writing. It wasn't satisfying my desire for nicotine, either, whatever it is I'm really taking in, it wasn't doing it. Plus I can smoke this indoors. Turns out I was smoking less than I thought, and I'm still smoking less than the tobacco companies would lead me to believe. I guess that means it was more habit. I knew that though. I don't miss those analogues, not one iota. I'm already NOT going back to those crappy things. Sometimes we quit, and sometimes we really quit, right? Do you know what the difference is here? I made all the decisions on what to use. If anyone is reading this that wants to quit analogues... do your research. The cig-lookalikes might be for you. I personally tried to quit like 10 times with them. Never got past a week. This baby works.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Thanks for all your support in this thread, folks. What was I smoking, analogue-wise? Probably 10-20 a day, packet tobacco with menthol tips. Funny, I got up to go for a smoke earlier... forgetting I don't smoke any more. So, I'm probably using about 4mls of 18mg/24 hours. Looking around here, I see that that's not what I'm taking in though, it's like 20% of that. I kicked the patch yesterday. Yeah that wasn't working. It wasn't helping my oral fixation or whatever it is. More importantly, it wasn't me having something to do with my hands, to have with my coffee, to sit and puff away on while thinking, and writing. It wasn't satisfying my desire for nicotine, either, whatever it is I'm really taking in, it wasn't doing it. Plus I can smoke this indoors. Turns out I was smoking less than I thought, and I'm still smoking less than the tobacco companies would lead me to believe. I guess that means it was more habit. I knew that though. I don't miss those analogues, not one iota. I'm already NOT going back to those crappy things. Sometimes we quit, and sometimes we really quit, right? Do you know what the difference is here? I made all the decisions on what to use. If anyone is reading this that wants to quit analogues... do your research. The cig-lookalikes might be for you. I personally tried to quit like 10 times with them. Never got past a week. This baby works.

Welcome!

You named most all the reasons I previously smoked. Vaping has become my less-harmful alternative to all those things I got from smoking cigarettes. Sixteen months now.... It's a good thing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread