Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neekolie

Nov 9, 2017
Michigan
Hi. My name's Jess. I'm completely new to all of this and have close to no idea what I'm doing. :)

I decided to make the jump into e-cigs/vaporizers and after a tiny bit of research and reading decided on the Halo Reactor Mega. (I have no idea if that's a good buy or not. Ha.)

Anyway, I figured seeing as how I'm new to this I should probably get connected on a forum or something and try and learn what I can! So.. Here I am! Nice to meet you all.

There are a few things I don't completely understand and was hoping I could get some insight on..
The Reactor allows adjustable power up to 80W and also features temperature/airflow control. Coming from a simple cigarette.. I have no idea where to start with these features.. Lol.

How does wattage and temperature control play into the overall experience?
What settings would you recommend for someone just starting out?

Thanks!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi Neekolie, welcome to ECF and glad you joined. Excellent move. I don't have that specific setup, but generally when you start with a fresh coil, prime it (let it sit in the tank a while) then take some long pulls without the fire button and start low on your wattage, gradually working your way up. If you want a general guideline, the recommended resistance is printed on your coils in tiny letters, probably. Though, I will often vape below the recommended wattage, but not above it.

There's tons to learn about vaping and Eskie is right, your tank and your coil's resistance (will also be printed on the coil) are important. You may have a higher resistance coil 1.0 or above, that requires less wattage and is the MTL style of vaping (not too much vapor, more flavor, and less clouds) or a sub0hm tank which is usually a DL setup, with lower resistance that will produce more clouds that you inhale directly into the lungs, rather than into the mouth then lungs, then exhale. MTL vaping is more similar to smoking in a lot of ways, direct inhaling is more like sucking through a straw, down directly into your lungs.. Most people prefer one or the other (or both) so you may have to do some experimenting.

If you do come here for recommendations and advice I won't say too much more right now don't want to confuse you.. If you could say what tank and coil you have, that would be helpful.

Anna

Neekolie

Nov 9, 2017
Michigan
For stuff like wattage and temp control it's important to know what tank, and even more, what coil you're using. That's what helps you in selecting a power range, and then, quite literally, adjusting it to your particular preference.
There's tons to learn about vaping and Eskie is right, your tank and your coil's resistance (will also be printed on the coil) are important. You may have a higher resistance coil 1.0 or above, that requires less wattage and is the MTL style of vaping (not too much vapor, more flavor, and less clouds) or a sub0hm tank which is usually a DL setup, with lower resistance that will produce more clouds that you inhale directly into the lungs, rather than into the mouth then lungs, then exhale. MTL vaping is more similar to smoking in a lot of ways, direct inhaling is more like sucking through a straw, down directly into your lungs.. Most people prefer one or the other (or both) so you may have to do some experimenting.

If you do come here for recommendations and advice I won't say too much more right now don't want to confuse you.. If you could say what tank and coil you have, that would be helpful.

Thank you both for the warm welcomes and all the information! I definitely have a lot to learn!

I purchased the kit with very little knowledge so I didn't even think to look at the coil/tank/etc. Lol :)

Looking at the kit, it states that it includes two Ni200 Coil Heads (.15 ohm) and the tank is the Reactor tank with 5.0 ml capacity and .50 ohms resistance.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That's a fairly low resistance setup, so you'll likely be running at higher resistance and producing more vapor and clouds. As long as you like that you should be fine. If you want to try something more mouth to lung there are lots of inexpensive tanks you could try on that setup. I am partial to the Nautilus 2, that's the tank I quit on and its coils are 1.8, 1.6 and 0.7. You can put that same tank on the mod you have now, only you'll be running wattages in the 8--15 watt range, probably. But see how you like your first setup to start.

BTW, it's not uncommon to purchase vape gear early on that may not be suited to one's taste. I did it and it's not a huge deal, it's more about finding equipment you like. If you want to start vaping exclusively, though, you'll want a backup setup anyway, so I'd recommend getting an expensive MTL setup, lots of folks will vape clouds at home but carry a MLT device to work as it's more stealthy and etc...

Good luck, and keep asking questions until it all starts becoming clear... :)

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
OK, quick summary (still on my first cup of coffee so forgive me if I mess things up), the Ni coils you have can ONLY be used in temp control mode. Don't hit them with wattage mode instead. I don't use Ni, but for a ballpark start, set the temp to maybe 370-400. Go higher or lower depending how you like it. In TC you do set a wattage (but it's still TC) which is the amount of current to reach that temperature. Try 30W, which should be good to reach the temp you want. If you see the screen flash "Temp protect" that's OK. It is not an error message. It's telling you the TC is working and keeping the temp from exceeding what you told it to do.

The 0.5 ohm coils are likely Kanthal and will not work in temp control. Start low and work your way high. In all cases (the 0.5 ohm or the 0.15 ohm prime the coil well (get all that cotton stuffing really wet). A few drops of juice into the coil on the cotton, let it sit a good 15 minutes in the tank with juice in it. Then take a few unpowered puffs. All you're doing is help establish the cotton is wet and wicking OK. On a 0.5 ohm coil, I'd start at 15W (yes, too low to actually produce vapor but that's OK, you're just slowly breaking he new coil). Work your way up a watts at a time until you're happy with the vape. You're then at the right wattage for you. You don't need to use lower wattage on the temp control setting thing, just start at a lower temperature and raise it until you're happy.

Oh, and the "recommended wattage" they print on the coil head itself are almost always inflated by the manufacturer, so don't be surprised when you're outside that range. In all likelihood on the lower side, not the higher.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

There are a few things I don't completely understand and was hoping I could get some insight on..
The Reactor allows adjustable power up to 80W and also features temperature/airflow control. Coming from a simple cigarette.. I have no idea where to start with these features.. Lol.

Thanks!

Hi Jess. Welcome to the ECF.

The Wattage and the Temperature you set the Temperature Control (TC) at will have a Huge Effect in the type of hit you will get. So does the amount of Airflow of the Atomizer, Coil Type/Ohms, and of course the e-Liquid you use.

The kit you got includes Coil Heads that have to be run in TC mode.

Ni200 (Nickel) Coils are for TC Mode
Kanthal Coils are for Power Mode / Variable Wattage (VW) Mode
Stainless Steel (SS) Coils can be run in either TC or VW Mode

The Wattage is what makes the coil get Hot. More Wattage and the coil gets Hotter. Less Wattage and the coil runs Cooler. The Hotter the Coil, the More Vapor and the More Flavor (to a point) a coil will produce.

But if the Wattage is set to High for a given Atomizer/e-Liquid, instead of the e-Liquid Vaporizing and giving you a Nice Hit, it will Burn the e-Liquid. And you will get a Hit that tastes like a Burnt Marshmallow. We can that a "Dry Hit".

TC is a way to Limit how Hot a coil can become. It's like a Limit Switch. So No Matter how high you set the Wattage, when the Coil reaches the Temperature you set in TC Mode, the Mod will not let the Coil get any Hotter.

TC is a Great Concept in theory. But it can be Quirky. And some Mod's do TC better than others.

I would Strongly Suggest for anyone who is New to e-Cigarettes that they just use VW Mode until they get comfortable with their e-Cigarette. And to get past the 1st Couple of weeks after quitting smoking

So a would recommend that you get a Pack of 0.5 Ohm Stainless Steel Vertical Coils as well as a Pack of 0.25 Ohm Stainless Steel Vertical Coils and start off on them. Hard to say which one you might like Best. So I would just get Both of them.

Reactor Coils

Follow the Instruction you will find in the Pack and Online. Priming a New Coil by dripping a few drops of e-Liquid onto the Coil's side holes where you can see the Cotton wick. As well as a Drop or Two down the Center of the Coil before you fill up you Atomizer.

And then starting out with a Low Wattage, Maybe 10 Watts, and slowly Increasing the Wattage by 2.5 Watts or so at a time until you find the Hit that Tastes Best for You.

Also try Opening and Closing the Air Flow on the Atomizer to see what works best. Some people like a More Restrictive Draw. Generally giving them More Flavor. Others like a more Wide Open draw. Giving them More Vapor.

It can all seem Very Confusing when you are New. With all the Possible Choices and the Myriad of Acronyms that we use. And perhaps being kinda Stressed Out from Quitting Regular Cigarettes. But it Isn't really that bad. And you will get it after a little Trial and Error.

Hope this Helps.

TL/DR: Start out with SS Coils and run them in VW Mode when you are New. VW Mode is MUCH Simpler to figure out.

Neekolie

Nov 9, 2017
Michigan
That's a fairly low resistance setup, so you'll likely be running at higher resistance and producing more vapor and clouds. As long as you like that you should be fine. If you want to try something more mouth to lung there are lots of inexpensive tanks you could try on that setup. I am partial to the Nautilus 2, that's the tank I quit on and its coils are 1.8, 1.6 and 0.7. You can put that same tank on the mod you have now, only you'll be running wattages in the 8--15 watt range, probably. But see how you like your first setup to start.

BTW, it's not uncommon to purchase vape gear early on that may not be suited to one's taste. I did it and it's not a huge deal, it's more about finding equipment you like. If you want to start vaping exclusively, though, you'll want a backup setup anyway, so I'd recommend getting an expensive MTL setup, lots of folks will vape clouds at home but carry a MLT device to work as it's more stealthy and etc...

Good luck, and keep asking questions until it all starts becoming clear... :)

That's good to know! In hindsight if I would've actually done my research (grr!) I would've probably went with a more beginner and smoker-friendly kit. I'm definitely not opposed to more vapor + clouds, though I suppose only time will tell! Either way, thank you for the help and recommendations! I'll be sure to check out the Nautilus! It sounds like it'd be a little easier and more comfortable for a newbie. :)

OK, quick summary (still on my first cup of coffee so forgive me if I mess things up), the Ni coils you have can ONLY be used in temp control mode. Don't hit them with wattage mode instead. I don't use Ni, but for a ballpark start, set the temp to maybe 370-400. Go higher or lower depending how you like it. In TC you do set a wattage (but it's still TC) which is the amount of current to reach that temperature. Try 30W, which should be good to reach the temp you want. If you see the screen flash "Temp protect" that's OK. It is not an error message. It's telling you the TC is working and keeping the temp from exceeding what you told it to do.

The 0.5 ohm coils are likely Kanthal and will not work in temp control. Start low and work your way high. In all cases (the 0.5 ohm or the 0.15 ohm prime the coil well (get all that cotton stuffing really wet). A few drops of juice into the coil on the cotton, let it sit a good 15 minutes in the tank with juice in it. Then take a few unpowered puffs. All you're doing is help establish the cotton is wet and wicking OK. On a 0.5 ohm coil, I'd start at 15W (yes, too low to actually produce vapor but that's OK, you're just slowly breaking he new coil). Work your way up a watts at a time until you're happy with the vape. You're then at the right wattage for you. You don't need to use lower wattage on the temp control setting thing, just start at a lower temperature and raise it until you're happy.

Oh, and the "recommended wattage" they print on the coil head itself are almost always inflated by the manufacturer, so don't be surprised when you're outside that range. In all likelihood on the lower side, not the higher.

Whoa! Thank you! That's one thing that definitely kind of scared me was "burning" the coil. It's good to know that the TC feature will regulate it automatically. I had no idea there were even different types of coil materials. Are there noticeable differences between Kanthal, Ni200, and Stainless Steel as far as draw, taste, and vapor goes?

Hi Jess. Welcome to the ECF.

The Wattage and the Temperature you set the Temperature Control (TC) at will have a Huge Effect in the type of hit you will get. So does the amount of Airflow of the Atomizer, Coil Type/Ohms, and of course the e-Liquid you use.

The kit you got includes Coil Heads that have to be run in TC mode.

Ni200 (Nickel) Coils are for TC Mode
Kanthal Coils are for Power Mode / Variable Wattage (VW) Mode
Stainless Steel (SS) Coils can be run in either TC or VW Mode

The Wattage is what makes the coil get Hot. More Wattage and the coil gets Hotter. Less Wattage and the coil runs Cooler. The Hotter the Coil, the More Vapor and the More Flavor (to a point) a coil will produce.

But if the Wattage is set to High for a given Atomizer/e-Liquid, instead of the e-Liquid Vaporizing and giving you a Nice Hit, it will Burn the e-Liquid. And you will get a Hit that tastes like a Burnt Marshmallow. We can that a "Dry Hit".

TC is a way to Limit how Hot a coil can become. It's like a Limit Switch. So No Matter how high you set the Wattage, when the Coil reaches the Temperature you set in TC Mode, the Mod will not let the Coil get any Hotter.

TC is a Great Concept in theory. But it can be Quirky. And some Mod's do TC better than others.

I would Strongly Suggest for anyone who is New to e-Cigarettes that they just use VW Mode until they get comfortable with their e-Cigarette. And to get past the 1st Couple of weeks after quitting smoking

So a would recommend that you get a Pack of 0.5 Ohm Stainless Steel Vertical Coils as well as a Pack of 0.25 Ohm Stainless Steel Vertical Coils and start off on them. Hard to say which one you might like Best. So I would just get Both of them.

Reactor Coils

Follow the Instruction you will find in the Pack and Online. Priming a New Coil by dripping a few drops of e-Liquid onto the Coil's side holes where you can see the Cotton wick. As well as a Drop or Two down the Center of the Coil before you fill up you Atomizer.

And then starting out with a Low Wattage, Maybe 10 Watts, and slowly Increasing the Wattage by 2.5 Watts or so at a time until you find the Hit that Tastes Best for You.

Also try Opening and Closing the Air Flow on the Atomizer to see what works best. Some people like a More Restrictive Draw. Generally giving them More Flavor. Others like a more Wide Open draw. Giving them More Vapor.

It can all seem Very Confusing when you are New. With all the Possible Choices and the Myriad of Acronyms that we use. And perhaps being kinda Stressed Out from Quitting Regular Cigarettes. But it Isn't really that bad. And you will get it after a little Trial and Error.

Hope this Helps.

TL/DR: Start out with SS Coils and run them in VW Mode when you are New. VW Mode is MUCH Simpler to figure out.

Thank you! I was having some difficulties understanding how all the different settings, parts, and terminologies play into each other but reading that helped it "click" in my head and made things seem much clearer to me! I definitely don't understand it all by any stretch of the imagination but I believe I have a solid enough grasp to get started! I will for sure order some stainless steel coils though. Thank you for taking the time to explain!

Also, thank you @MJCSD @Trigster and @jfcooley for the warm welcomes! ;)

I appreciate all the help everyone! Happy to be a part of ECF!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome @Neekolie

You'll be OK with the 'Reactor' from Halo. It's a good & proven design. Sadly, Halo don't make it. :eek:

It's likely you were sent there by the mysterious advertising powers at work in the e-cig universe; of course nobody tends to shop at Halo for long because they take existing products and add their super pixie dust to simply charge you for more. It's an Eleaf (or similar) product so you can source everything you need from different suppliers. I buy those coils for $7.50. You will have to decide for yourself if $14 is good value.
Halo like to hide the fact that all their hardware is imported from China so don't go thinking you are buying US-made products.

I don't like them one bit, although their liquids are genuinely good... (yeh, that hurts to say)

You did well! :thumb: Just don't forget how these things work. Brand e-cigs are usually over-priced (sometimes outrageously so) and never trust reviews for the 'big name' companies.

If you think I don't like what Halo do, ask me about VaporFi. :shock:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Whoa! Thank you! That's one thing that definitely kind of scared me was "burning" the coil. It's good to know that the TC feature will regulate it automatically. I had no idea there were even different types of coil materials. Are there noticeable differences between Kanthal, Ni200, and Stainless Steel as far as draw, taste, and vapor goes?

Some people swear one or the other tastes much better. Either I no longer have taste buds or I can't tell the difference in taste or vapor (draw will vary on airflow, so a coil with a big place for the vapor to form and opening the airflow all the way will obviously affect the draw, but not the metal).

I pretty much use SS for all my coils. It vapes well and I can vape it in wattage or TC mode. I like easy and not remembering what coil metal did I put in that tank. The only reason Ni is still in use is that was the only wire you could use when temp control first was developed. As the electronics got better, other metal like SS were able to work just fine.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you! I was having some difficulties understanding how all the different settings, parts, and terminologies play into each other but reading that helped it "click" in my head and made things seem much clearer to me! I definitely don't understand it all by any stretch of the imagination but I believe I have a solid enough grasp to get started! I will for sure order some stainless steel coils though. Thank you for taking the time to explain!

Also, thank you @MJCSD @Trigster and @jfcooley for the warm welcomes! ;)

I appreciate all the help everyone! Happy to be a part of ECF!

Hey no problem. When you are New, so much of this can be Very Confusing. But with a little Time and some Trial and Error, it all kinda falls into place.

Running in VW Mode greatly Simplifies things. And since SS Coils can be used in TC Mode also, when you have Everything Dialed-In and working in VW Mode, you can then move to TC Mode if you want.

I don't use TC much. I just Don't get a huge benefit from it. But some people Swear by it.

The Key is to just get Off Regular Cigarettes. And during that Tenuous (and maybe Very Stressful) period after you quit, keeping things as Simple as Possible can be a Big Plus.

I'm sure you will do fine. And let us know what Other Questions you have.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
If you read through below, your likely to get a handle on vaping.
Might like to read:
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum
Halo Reactor Mega. (I have no idea if that's a good buy or not. Ha.)
If your like my grand daughter, perfect for your age and priorities. Boys, appearance, social interaction ............................................................vaping.

Neekolie

Nov 9, 2017
Michigan
Welcome @Neekolie

You'll be OK with the 'Reactor' from Halo. It's a good & proven design. Sadly, Halo don't make it. :eek:

It's likely you were sent there by the mysterious advertising powers at work in the e-cig universe; of course nobody tends to shop at Halo for long because they take existing products and add their super pixie dust to simply charge you for more. It's an Eleaf (or similar) product so you can source everything you need from different suppliers. I buy those coils for $7.50. You will have to decide for yourself if $14 is good value.
Halo like to hide the fact that all their hardware is imported from China so don't go thinking you are buying US-made products.

I don't like them one bit, although their liquids are genuinely good... (yeh, that hurts to say)

You did well! :thumb: Just don't forget how these things work. Brand e-cigs are usually over-priced (sometimes outrageously so) and never trust reviews for the 'big name' companies.

If you think I don't like what Halo do, ask me about VaporFi. :shock:

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yes! I literally just googled for vape pens/e-cigarettes and the first website I ended up at was Halo...

Of course I found out that 90% of the e-cig/vaping community hates Halo after I had already ordered from them. :confused: Not to mention I bought a kit from them for $70 that I could've gotten the equivalent of for almost half that price... Yikes!

I really wish I would've done more research and consulted here before jumping the gun.
But hey! No sense in buyers remorse at this point. At least it's something to get my feet wet with!

Hello and welcome Jess.

Thank you!

Some people swear one or the other tastes much better. Either I no longer have taste buds or I can't tell the difference in taste or vapor (draw will vary on airflow, so a coil with a big place for the vapor to form and opening the airflow all the way will obviously affect the draw, but not the metal).

I pretty much use SS for all my coils. It vapes well and I can vape it in wattage or TC mode. I like easy and not remembering what coil metal did I put in that tank. The only reason Ni is still in use is that was the only wire you could use when temp control first was developed. As the electronics got better, other metal like SS were able to work just fine.

Huh! Interesting! I definitely will be sticking to SS then. Sounds like it's the easiest to manage and most versatile for my needs! Thank you!

Hey no problem. When you are New, so much of this can be Very Confusing. But with a little Time and some Trial and Error, it all kinda falls into place.

Running in VW Mode greatly Simplifies things. And since SS Coils can be used in TC Mode also, when you have Everything Dialed-In and working in VW Mode, you can then move to TC Mode if you want.

I don't use TC much. I just Don't get a huge benefit from it. But some people Swear by it.

The Key is to just get Off Regular Cigarettes. And during that Tenuous (and maybe Very Stressful) period after you quit, keeping things as Simple as Possible can be a Big Plus.

I'm sure you will do fine. And let us know what Other Questions you have.

Thank you! Yes, I already can tell much of this will be trial and error for me. I'm excited though! My kit arrives Monday! I definitely will keep things simple at the start especially as I'm learning the ropes. I think for me personally to stick with this change in the long run though I'll need to make it more than just a substitute for cigarettes. I think it'd be fun and a great way to stay committed by turning it into a hobby! Even though I'm still very new to all this I already find myself reading and watching videos on different tanks, mods and even how to build your own coils! It's all confusing and overwhelming but also exciting and gives me something new to learn!

Thank you for the welcome as well as those resources! I've bookmarked them all and will definitely give them a thorough read. And thank you! I'll take that as a compliment! In hindsight, with what I've learned I regret my purchase a bit but I'm going to try and make the best of it. :)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I think it'd be fun and a great way to stay committed by turning it into a hobby! Even though I'm still very new to all this I already find myself reading and watching videos on different tanks, mods and even how to build your own coils! It's all confusing and overwhelming but also exciting and gives me something new to learn!

Making you own Coils opens up and entire New World of Vaping. And frees you from having to buy Only the Choices that your Coil Head comes in.

It makes you Self-Reliant. So you are Never at the Mercy of the dreaded "Out of Stock" when you start to run low on Coil Heads. It's also a whole Heck of a Lot cheaper than getting Vape Mail every month to keep putting in you Coil Head Tank.

---

BTW - It's kinda Universal Truth that Isn't mentioned much here to New People. But the chances of you buying just 1 Mod and 1 Tank and never buying anything again is about Zero. Maybe even a Tad Less.

So Don't feel Bad that you might have paid a Few Dollars more for the Kit you got. Or that in a Month or so you are Shopping for a New Mod/Tank.

I think if you ask just about Anyone here that they will tell you that they have a Drawer Full of Mods and Tanks that they Don't use anymore. And that they are Backups to their Backups.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread