Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejacko44

Aug 17, 2019
Hi everyone, a fresh fish here. Long time cigarette smoker (~16 years), switched to a Juul full-time one year ago, and have very recently purchased a Dovpo Topside squonk with a Geekvape Ammit MTL rda. I am currently vaping Modus Buzz (a blue raspberry) 6mg and a Coastal Clouds salt nic Apple Peach Strawberry at 35mg with a 28ga Kanthal handbuilt coil. That said, I am still figuring out the best combination of coils & liquids with my setup as the setup isn't currently satisfying the nicotine cravings and I keep returning to the Juul.

Thank you all for your time & I look forward to further conversations in the future!

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
I am currently vaping Modus Buzz (a blue raspberry) 6mg and a Coastal Clouds salt nic Apple Peach Strawberry at 35mg
Welcome!
6mg are good for DL vaping ,40W and higher.Too low nicotine for a MTL RDA.
35mg are fine up to 20W for MTL.

thejacko44

Aug 17, 2019
Hello!
Howdy and welcome :) JUULs have higher nic content than basically anything. What is the nic content of your current juices?
The Modus Buzz is 6mg nicotine, and the Coastal Clouds is a 35mg nicotine salt.

With the Coastal Clouds, I was aiming for a higher resistance coil in my Topside. About 1.2-1.4 ohms, running at 10w-12w. The flavor was a bit much for me through my mod, however. Just really strong & overwhelming. So, I've been reloading my Juul pods with that juice.

I had previously bought a California Napa Nectar at 18mg nicotine salt, which seemed to work well for the nicotine content, but I couldn't get past the taste. Not a pleasant mango.

The Modus Buzz was my 3rd attempt to find a better tasting juice and I decided to go a different route than the nic salts. It is decent but I only have 28ga wrap for my coils, so I am low wattage vaping with my high resistance coils (1.2-1.4 ohms usually) and finding the flavor a bit muted. Plus, I can't seem to get the dose of nicotine I'm looking for.

Welcome!
6mg are good for DL vaping ,40W and higher.Too low nicotine for a MTL RDA.
35mg are fine up to 20W for MTL.

I definitely need to get some thicker gauge wire, as I only have the 28ga and can't get much for lower resistance coils. The low wattage vaping is likely where I find the Modus Buzz lacking... the flavor is good, but very muted. I have trouble getting my coils below 1ohm without losing most of the wraps or making the inner diameter so tiny I struggle to keep it wicked. I was looking at getting a lower gauge wire of the Kanthal and maybe trying to clapton the 28ga around the lower gauge, but I managed to break the bank a bit already...

I tried some sub-ohm salt (California Napa Nectar @ 18mg nic salt), but the taste was quite off-putting to me. The nicotine content seemed okay... but still a bit weak. The Coastal Clouds also had a bit of an overwhelming flavor. Quite a strong taste through my mod, but quite a bit better when I reload a Juul pod with it.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hello!

The Modus Buzz is 6mg nicotine, and the Coastal Clouds is a 35mg nicotine salt.

With the Coastal Clouds, I was aiming for a higher resistance coil in my Topside. About 1.2-1.4 ohms, running at 10w-12w. The flavor was a bit much for me through my mod, however. Just really strong & overwhelming. So, I've been reloading my Juul pods with that juice.

I had previously bought a California Napa Nectar at 18mg nicotine salt, which seemed to work well for the nicotine content, but I couldn't get past the taste. Not a pleasant mango.

The Modus Buzz was my 3rd attempt to find a better tasting juice and I decided to go a different route than the nic salts. It is decent but I only have 28ga wrap for my coils, so I am low wattage vaping with my high resistance coils (1.2-1.4 ohms usually) and finding the flavor a bit muted. Plus, I can't seem to get the dose of nicotine I'm looking for.

I definitely need to get some thicker gauge wire, as I only have the 28ga and can't get much for lower resistance coils. The low wattage vaping is likely where I find the Modus Buzz lacking... the flavor is good, but very muted. I have trouble getting my coils below 1ohm without losing most of the wraps or making the inner diameter so tiny I struggle to keep it wicked. I was looking at getting a lower gauge wire of the Kanthal and maybe trying to clapton the 28ga around the lower gauge, but I managed to break the bank a bit already...

I tried some sub-ohm salt (California Napa Nectar @ 18mg nic salt), but the taste was quite off-putting to me. The nicotine content seemed okay... but still a bit weak. The Coastal Clouds also had a bit of an overwhelming flavor. Quite a strong taste through my mod, but quite a bit better when I reload a Juul pod with it.
The standard solution for finding a good flavor is a tasting bar.
They aren’t as common as they used to be, but some shops will have an area where you can taste a large variety of available juices at once to figure out what you like.

As for flavorings that are good but overly flavored adding some VG will Mellow them out pretty quick. It will also lower the nic content though. You could probably take that 18mg down to 12mg with some straight VG and still vape it DL pretty well

thejacko44

Aug 17, 2019
The standard solution for finding a good flavor is a tasting bar.
They aren’t as common as they used to be, but some shops will have an area where you can taste a large variety of available juices at once to figure out what you like.

As for flavorings that are good but overly flavored adding some VG will Mellow them out pretty quick. It will also lower the nic content though. You could probably take that 18mg down to 12mg with some straight VG and still vape it DL pretty well

Thank you for the advice! I will have to check out the different vape stores around here & see if I can find one with a tasting bar.

I have been considering ways to go through this extra not-so-pleasant juice I have now. I tried mixing it with that Apple Peach Strawberry from Coastal Clouds, but that sure didn't help... Maybe 'watering it down' with some VG would help. Appreciate the suggestion!

I am going to be following up with a few more posts & questions I have about different aspects of vaping , in the appropriate forms. But, in short, I am definitely consider mixing my own ejuice. (I spent $60 on three flavors, two of which I didn't like & a third that didn't do anything for my nicotine craving even after vaping for half an hour... I've seen those starter kits on Nicotine River for DIY ejuice for similar prices that would give me far more juice in the end, and a variety of flavors to try recipes & experiment with). Mixing my own juice would allow me to really customize the level of nicotine to my needs & seems like it might be more cost effective in the long run.

I've also considered getting a pod system in addition to my mod, so I can get the high mg nic salts that are more designed around the flavor a pod provides. (low wattage pod device pairs with stronger, more concentrated flavors better, I think? I noticed that the DIY pod ejuice recipes I saw seemed to have a higher percentage of flavoring vs PG/VG) Although, the wife would probably kill me...

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thank you for the advice! I will have to check out the different vape stores around here & see if I can find one with a tasting bar.

I have been considering ways to go through this extra not-so-pleasant juice I have now. I tried mixing it with that Apple Peach Strawberry from Coastal Clouds, but that sure didn't help... Maybe 'watering it down' with some VG would help. Appreciate the suggestion!

I am going to be following up with a few more posts & questions I have about different aspects of vaping , in the appropriate forms. But, in short, I am definitely consider mixing my own ejuice. (I spent $60 on three flavors, two of which I didn't like & a third that didn't do anything for my nicotine craving even after vaping for half an hour... I've seen those starter kits on Nicotine River for DIY ejuice for similar prices that would give me far more juice in the end, and a variety of flavors to try recipes & experiment with). Mixing my own juice would allow me to really customize the level of nicotine to my needs & seems like it might be more cost effective in the long run.

I've also considered getting a pod system in addition to my mod, so I can get the high mg nic salts that are more designed around the flavor a pod provides. (low wattage pod device pairs with stronger, more concentrated flavors better, I think? I noticed that the DIY pod ejuice recipes I saw seemed to have a higher percentage of flavoring vs PG/VG) Although, the wife would probably kill me...
If you’ve already got a whole mod, especially a squonker, the only advantage a pod system would give you is smaller size. A MTL atty will do the same things a pod system will, they’ll just do it better. With your squonk system I’ve personally had pretty .... luck with a berserker MTL RDA

• Agree
Reactions: HigherStateD

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Welcome to ECF!:)

Any question you need an answer to, no matter how slight, always feel free to ask. While none of us knows it all, we have a vast amount of collective knowledge. Many of us veterans hang out in the New Member Forum rather than in the others for this purpose.

Keeping in mind that all of us who has been vaping (even those since it's infancy) were in the same place as you are at this point. Over time, you'll be trying more & more equipment, as well as e-juices & will begin to get your feet wet in building coils & mixing your own juice. This was the only way to satisfy my taste buds, by making my own.:D

The main thing I'd like to stress early, should you purchase a mod for high powered vaping & eventually you will, please go to the Battery Safety section of the forum. Being that it changes often as new ones are released, it's important to know what type of battery needed for your setup. As for me, I just use either Sony VCT5A in most all, other than one which am still running LG HG2 & more recently, decided to try a couple sets of Molicel P26A, as these are highly recommended by Mooch earlier this year.

Unless you know your source very well, watch out for Samsung 30Q's, as these are one of the most popular batteries cloned today. Well, not truly cloned, rather potentially unstable batteries rewrapped & sold as the 30Q. It's not that great of a battery anyway, or at least for my usage. There's little price differential between the high discharge batteries versus the lower rated ones, that it's best to buy the top rated to begin with. This way, you'll know the power you need will be there, when you need it.:)

One last word on the batteries & I'll exit that subject. When using two or more in the same mod, be sure to 'marry' both (or three) when new. This way, they'll wear together, not good to mix old & new batteries, nor those of different brands/models.

As for salts, I've never used these, so no nothing about these, other than most every business who carries e-juice are pushing these like mad. Must be very popular choice these days, when I started just under 6 years ago, never seen these advertised. Within the last couple years, especially the last year, 'salts' is somewhere prominent on the sites.

Good Luck, we wish you the best of success!:thumbs:

Reactions: HigherStateD

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Love my topside. You could strand and twist together two, 3, or four strands of your 28g and twist it up and hit the resistance you want, as well as the amount of metal needed to not melt at high wattages.
Not sure if that MTL tank you got can do it though. How much air flow does it have?
Oh, and the bottle of Napa nectar by California grown I got was wine flavor, I thought it was similar to a rose, pinkish wine.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might wish to fill in your location, it may help you in obtaining location specific information to your question(s).
On the top right hand corner of this post you will find --"your name" next to "Inbox and Alerts"
Place the mouse pointer on your name. You will get a drop down and on the left hand side of this drop down you will find "Personal Details". Click Personal Details.
In Personal Details, in middle of screen in gray, you will find "Location" Could fill that box line in.
re: New users - Put your location in your Profile...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread