hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello and welcome. Today I’m going to attempt to do my best to give you a fair, honest, and even possibly informative review on the new Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo rda that was sent to me by Hellvape. The Solo RDA is a 22mm diameter single coil rda which I’m sure you could probably guess it was single coil by the name Solo. This is the newest addition to the Dead Rabbit series of products. I have tested many of the more recent ones since I started writing reviews for Hellvape. To this day I still use the Dead Rabbit 3 RDAs that were sent to me for review. The Solo uses a honeycomb style airflow and has 30 holes that can be closed in different ways to provide the best and most flavorful vaping experience that it can. The ones that I received for review are samples and want to mention that retail versions will have an 810 resin drip tip and the stainless version unlike the one I received will have a black transparent tip instead of the white transparent one I received with my sample.

8AwS17b.jpg

2YXuNP6.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1pc Dead Rabbit Solo RDA
    1pc 0.420 Ni80 Clapton Coil
    1pc Shoelace Cotton
    1pc 810 Drip Tip
    1pc 510 Adapter
    1pc BF Pin
    1pc Coil Cutting Tool
    1pc Accessory Bag
    1pc User Manual

VTYnXBB.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

DIAMETER: 22MM

HEIGHT: 32.8MM

DRIP TIP: 810

COIL TYPE: SINGLE

NET WEIGHT: 32g

Gxe4KiN.jpg

FEATURES:

• Build Deck Material: Stainless Steel
    • Mechanism: Threaded Flathead Screw Clamps
    • Coil-Configuration: Single Coil
    • Insulation: PEAK
    • Tank Material: Stainless Steel
    • Drip Tip: 810
    • Connection: Threaded 510 BF Pin
    • Contact Pin: Gold Plated
    • Adjustable Honeycomb Airflow Control

WcrO2Ey.png

T7XQosQ.jpg

VQVoYas.jpg

kKOV4sJ.jpg

1CeuROu.jpg

9zZqurm.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

The packaging for the Dead Rabbit Solo RDA is very familiar after receiving many samples from Hellvape. Instead of the usual red, the front of the box is white with orange lettering while the back is orange with white lettering. The front has a clear viewing window so you can see the tank inside which I am a fan of. Of course the Hellvape name and logo are on the front as well as the SOLO name and the Dead Rabbit icon. The back side of the box has the contents list, features, and company information.

They followed suit on the sides of the box with one side being white with orange lettering and the other side being orange with white. The orange side has a drawing of the rda on it and the other side just has the name Dead Rabbit Solo RDA on it.

1669595468688.png

1669595494012.png

Once the top of the box is removed, which is no easy task, you can get a better look at the rda. The box was very hard to open and had to use a screwdriver to pry up on the sides to remove the top almost like it was vacuum packed. I received two samples and both were the same. In the picture below you can see the three rows of five honeycomb airflow holes. This is duplicated on the opposite side for a total of 30 airflow holes. Honeycomb design is my favorite type of airflow on an rda. The rda sits in an orange foam insert with the box below it with the Hellvape name on it containing the included accessories. The Solo is a single coil rda so only one coil and cotton thread are included. The included coil is an Ni80 Clapton coil rated at .42 ohms. Also included in the kit is a 510 adapter, coil cutting tool, BF pin, accessory bag, and user manual. I don’t know if others have noticed this but if you look at the side of the coil cutting tool, there is an arrow directing you to the proper slot to use for cutting the coil for that tank.

1669595540332.png

1669595566583.png

As I do with any new tank or rda, the first thing I do is disassemble them and clean with hot water and a drop of soap. You can see that the top cap/airflow control for this rda is rather complex in design. This design allows the user to close holes by level or by row. I personally tend to adjust by level.

The single coil deck, which is made of stainless steel has two straight slotted screws to secure the single coil in place. The deck is rather deep on this one and will hold quite a bit of liquid whether you are dripping or using the included BF pin. The first thing I did before cleaning was to install the BF pin in both of the samples I received. This is my preferred method of using rdas. Due to the height of the posts and the depth of the base, it is necessary to cut the legs of the cotton rather long to reach the bottom of the deck.

The chamber of the rda has a reduced area to improve flavor on this 22mm rda. You can see in the pictures how the airflow holes come through to the inside of the chamber and it is reduced to an almost oval shape. The chamber has two notches protruding that lock into the slots cut in the deck to keep the chamber from rotating. The only thing that rotates is the top cap which adjusts the airflow.

1669595607631.png

1669595631652.png

1669595657009.png

1669595675735.png

1669595714548.png

Since I received two samples and the coils were the same in each, I decided to build the stainless version with the included .42 Clapton Coil and built the other with a .35 ohm Ni80 coil that I commonly use just to compare. The one on the left in the first picture below is the included .42 coil and the one on the right is my .35 coil. I followed the direction of the coil cutting tool included and cut both coils at 5mm. After getting the coils inserted and aligned I did a burn in on them to check for hot spots. As I mentioned earlier, due to the height of the posts and the depth of the deck, I did a quick measurement and cut the tails of the cotton leaving enough so I had some laying in the bottom of the deck.

BiLU63j.jpg

ZOdBgvE.jpg

XZH4KvN.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I feel like Hellvape has come through with yet another great rda in the Dead Rabbit series. This one can appeal to those that don’t like messing with dual coils or just someone that wants a smaller rda.

I installed the squonk pins on both samples I received. The stainless version with the included .42 ohm coil was mounted on my Therion BF mod. I used a lemon pound cake recipe that is 3mg and which I commonly use for testing review samples. The flavor was very good with the wattage set at 40 watts. I had one row of airflow holes open and three more in the second row. With this mid-range wattage you would feel very comfortable using a single 21700 mod like I did and get decent battery life. Just one of the advantages of a single coil rda. I did use the included drip tip and it was very comfortable to use.

On the second sample I received was installed a .35 ohm 3mm Ni80 coil. On this one I was able to dial the wattage down to 36 watts and ran a similar setting on the airflow since that is where I ended up liking it. This time I used a mango mix that I’ve been running for a while and mix at 6mg. The flavor was very good. I decided to try this rda on my Centaurus BF and switched out the drip tip for one that is a little longer and narrower. Once again I was very pleased with the flavor produced and there was plenty of vapor production with both. I have always felt like honeycomb designed airflow produces better flavor and it does on this one too. I have very much enjoyed testing these two rdas and plan on continuing to use them for the foreseeable future.

I don’t think I need to ask if I would recommend the Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo RDA for you. I think it’s obvious that it’s a loud and clear yes. I’d like to thank Hellvape and Jessica for sending the Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo RDA for this review. Thanks to you the readers. Congratulations! You’ve made it to the end of another one of my reviews. Below is a link to the website if you’d like to look around.

Dead Rabbit Solo RDA -Hellvape - The DIY atomizer leading brand
    hA1LI96.jpg

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Great review. I’m torn though. I’m loving the dead rabbit v3 rda and usually have several in rotation on various mods. I enjoy the flavor and clouds on the dual coil rda but would love to find another single coil that gives me similar flavor and clouds. So this looks enticing but will it live up to comparison with the dual coil v3 ?

What do you think? Just as good or better or worse. I realize it’s all subjective but you seem to have similar vaping styles as myself.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Great review. I’m torn though. I’m loving the dead rabbit v3 rda and usually have several in rotation on various mods. I enjoy the flavor and clouds on the dual coil rda but would love to find another single coil that gives me similar flavor and clouds. So this looks enticing but will it live up to comparison with the dual coil v3 ?

What do you think? Just as good or better or worse. I realize it’s all subjective but you seem to have similar vaping styles as myself.
    The flavor is really good in my opinion but not quite as good and the vapor is less dense which makes sense because you're only heating one coil. If you really just want a single coil rda then this is a good one. I've been running it around 40 watts with a .35 ohm coil and like it. The V3 definitely puts out a thicker vapor.

Reactions: Izan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread