Help buying first cartotank pleas ? Phiniac and 801 fusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carto tanks are so confusing.
Will a regular Phiniac tank and a Ikenvape 801 LR Punched Fusion work together?
I'm assuming "punched" means its ready to put into a tank and that If I dont buy "Punched" I will have to buy a carto punch and do it myself?
Will the 801 fusion carto fit on my provari?
Is there something better that will give me a medium draw?
Do cartos generally last as long as the nova wick things?
Will a cartotank system hold as much liquid as what I have below?
Will a cartotank really let you taste the eliquid better than what I have below?

I currently use:
Provari battery and
vivi nova - eliquid doesnt taste so good / to hard draw
Protank 2 - eliquid doesnt taste so good / too airy of draw

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Trifle03104 said:
Will a regular Phiniac tank and a Ikenvape 801 LR Punched Fusion work together?
The IKV 801 carto will fit in the Phiniac. The problem is the end of the 801 Fusions is odd shaped, preventing the tank to fit flush against the Provari's top. This leaves a few mm gap between the tank and the Provari. Looks weird.

Trifle03104 said:
I'm assuming "punched" means its ready to put into a tank and that If I dont buy "Punched" I will have to buy a carto punch and do it myself?
This is correct.

Trifle03104 said:
Will the 801 fusion carto fit on my provari?
Not without a 510-to-801 stealth adaptor. 510-801 Fusion Stealth Adjustable Adapter

Trifle03104 said:
Is there something better that will give me a medium draw?
The Ikenvape 510 Fusion cartomizers are the same as the 801 Fusion, but with the appropriate 510 connector. This is what I use. The Platinums are essentially the same carto, but without a flange near the connector. I also use these, and can't tell one from the other. With or without a flange, makes no difference except for some Smoktech tanks.

Trifle03104 said:
Do cartos generally last as long as the nova wick things?
I can't say. I never used a Vivi Nova that long to compare. I agree, the Vivi Nova's flavor production was lacking.

Trifle03104 said:
Will a cartotank system hold as much liquid as what I have below?
Depends upon the tank you use. Tanks come in different diameters and two lengths, depending upon the manufacturer, so the capacity varies. Here are the specs for Phiniac tanks: Tank Sizes & Cartos - Phiniac Rugged Pyrex Glass Tanks

If I'm not mistaken, the Nova's hold 3.5 ml and the Protanks hold 2.5 ml.

Trifle03104 said:
Will a cartotank really let you taste the eliquid better than what I have below?
In my 18 month experience using cartotanks and various clearomizers, YES.

Baditudes Blogs

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
tank lengths.jpg

You ordered a standard/regular length tank from Phiniac. You ordered "mega" cartomizers, which are XL.

Luckily, the Mega Fusions will still work in the tank. The top of the carto will just extend out from the tank like a long drip tip, and you'll have an additional 0.5 ml of juice than you would with a standard length carto. I know someone who intentially uses XL cartos in a standard length tank. So no sweat, they'll work.

Next time you order cartos, order the standard length.

Last edited:

warrenao

Jul 26, 2013
Arizona
I have a related question! Do cartomizers have a standard diameter for the tube? That is, will any given cartomizer fit in any given cap for a tank?

I ask because I've become rather a fan of the cartomizer that smoktech sells with their terminator tank, but I'd like to have a decent glass tank instead of the poly one the terminator uses.

I was looking at phiniac tanks too, and wondering if I'll be able to mate the cartomizer with the end cap. I know I'll need to get an XXL, at least. Beyond that - well, again, do cartos (punched or terminator style) all fit into all end caps?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Cartomizer diameters are pretty standard. They come in two lengths, 35mm and 45mm. Stick with the common cartomizers (Smoketech, Boge, and Ikenvape) and the more common quality cartotanks and you won't run into any issues.

I have heard of some issues with some tanks, pretty much exclusive to the so-called locking tanks, of cartos not matching up correctly if they don't have the right flange on the connector end. I typically recommend people to stay away from those tanks if asked. I've never had a tank slide off a cartomizer, and find no need for locking tanks. As far as I am concerned, the manufacturer came up with a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist -- purely a marketing idea to sell a mediocre tank. Just my opinion.

warrenao said:
I was looking at phiniac tanks too, and wondering if I'll be able to mate the cartomizer with the end cap. I know I'll need to get an XXL, at least.
If you prefer the Smoktech cartos, you'll want the XL-V2 size tank from Phiniac. http://phiniac.com/cmspage.php?page_id=33

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Neither her nor there, but I don't think the 801's and 510's are even close to the same! I like the 801's a lot better, tighter draw and a greater throat hit, IMO. BUT, they look like crap on my Provari! Hence, I use the 510's!

I never understood the reason for the odd base on the 801's. It doesn't allow a cartotank to fit flush on a PV. The gap just looks bad.

I ordered a few 801's just to see what all the hype was all about. Ironic, the first one tried was the only bad carto I've ever received from Ikenvape. It was just awful. Horrible horrible harsh taste. The resistance was what it was supposed to be, it just had a horrible taste. Did I say it was horrible? :laugh:

The rest were fine, and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between the 801's or the 510's. Taste is subjective.

warrenao

Jul 26, 2013
Arizona
Cartomizer diameters are pretty standard. They come in two lengths, 35mm and 45mm. Stick with the common cartomizers (Smoketech, Boge, and Ikenvape) and the more common quality cartotanks and you won't run into any issues.

Groovy; thanks. This was what I was hoping would be the case. Depending on now old you are, you might recall the days when headphone jacks were available in both 1/4" and 1/8" sizes. It was always exasperating to order a piece of audio equipment and discover you needed the other size of headphone. Adapters? I had them going both ways. I didn't know if I was looking at the same sort of thing here or not.

Size really does matter. :blink:

I have heard of some issues with some tanks, pretty much exclusive to the so-called locking tanks, of cartos not matching up correctly if they don't have the right flange on the connector end. I typically recommend people to stay away from those tanks if asked. I've never had a tank slide off a cartomizer, and find no need for locking tanks. As far as I am concerned, the manufacturer came up with a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist -- purely a marketing idea to sell a mediocre tank. Just my opinion.

I can maybe see it being a problem if you keep your ecig in your pocket and are in the habit of pulling it out by the tank. With my eVic battery, that's not usually where the ecig is anyway. For the smaller 510's, I have tanks that screw together. Makes more sense to me.

If you prefer the Smoktech cartos, you'll want the XL-V2 size tank from Phiniac. Tank Sizes & Cartos - Phiniac Rugged Pyrex Glass Tanks

Great; that's the direction I was leaning, so it's good to see it confirmed by an expert. The TT is a tall bugger, just under 2", so I figured the 45mm XXL/XL-V2 was what I was thinking would be the best choice. That ginormous egg housing the coil and wick has got to be 3/4" high, and is the reason I can't get a tank with the ends fused in place, like the Smoktech DCT's.

Thanks again for replying!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I can maybe see it being a problem if you keep your ecig in your pocket and are in the habit of pulling it out by the tank. With my eVic battery, that's not usually where the ecig is anyway. For the smaller 510's, I have tanks that screw together. Makes more sense to me.

I keep my tank-topped PV's in my pocket all the time, and as I said earlier, I've never had a tank slide off the carto. A quality-made tank like a pyrex IBTanked, Valley View Vapes, or Phiniac will not slide off the carto because of better design and higher quality o-rings for a nice snug fit.

Having said that, use common sense. Try to get into the habit of not pulling your PV out of your pocket by the tank, but by grabbing the PV itself.

warrenao

Jul 26, 2013
Arizona
I keep my tank-topped PV's in my pocket all the time, and as I said earlier, I've never had a tank slide off the carto. A quality-made tank like a pyrex IBTanked, Valley View Vapes, or Phiniac will not slide off the carto because of better design and higher quality o-rings for a nice snug fit.

Having said that, use common sense. Try to get into the habit of not pulling your PV out of your pocket by the tank, but by grabbing the PV itself.

Heh. I generally don't have it in my pocket anyway. It's a bit bulky and awkward, and leads to questions like, "Is that a PV in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?"

The looseness of the TT is the other big reason I'm looking for something that'll work a little better. It practically spins free on the cartomizer post. Rather exasperating. I ordered one of the Phiniac getups. And now I'll look into the others you named! :p Whee!

Thanks again.

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
I love my 801 fusions, was using them with a valleyvapes pyrex tank and vanilla cola (extra vanilla) juice. I just recieved my order from IKV with more 801 fusion LR punch cartos, but also picked up some of the 510 style cartos to try out. The gap that the 801+adapter leaves on a 510 device looks pretty bad, but vapes great. Too bad I dropped my tank, onto the carpet so no big deal right? Wrong, it bounced and hit the leg of my office chair(metal), and then broke. I'm now waiting for my new valley vapes tank to come in so I can get my vanilla cola on.

sbmqcy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Quincy, IL, USA
I have heard of some issues with some tanks, pretty much exclusive to the so-called locking tanks, of cartos not matching up correctly if they don't have the right flange on the connector end.
Bad--I haven't tried them yet, but I got a pack of Boge f16 cartos to stick in my smoktek tank. Are these the problem match you were talking about?

I typically recommend people to stay away from those tanks if asked. I've never had a tank slide off a cartomizer, and find no need for locking tanks. As far as I am concerned, the manufacturer came up with a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist -- purely a marketing idea to sell a mediocre tank. Just my opinion.

Apparently, I'm the reason. I screwed down my IBtanked too hard and when I tried to remove it, spinning tank, no spinning cart. I ended up having to lift the tank slightly to grip the carto to unscrew it. I didn't even use that much pressure when screwing in, but I guess I overdid it. Lesson learned. That said, with the smoktech I don't have that problem because the flanges create torque. Which, now that I think about it, could probably work against me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Bad--I haven't tried them yet, but I got a pack of Boge f16 cartos to stick in my smoktek tank. Are these the problem match you were talking about?

Apparently, I'm the reason. I screwed down my IBtanked too hard and when I tried to remove it, spinning tank, no spinning cart. I ended up having to lift the tank slightly to grip the carto to unscrew it. I didn't even use that much pressure when screwing in, but I guess I overdid it. Lesson learned. That said, with the smoktech I don't have that problem because the flanges create torque. Which, now that I think about it, could probably work against me.
I believe those are the ones.

Should you have a tank spin around on the carto when you wish to remove the tank from your battery, use a tight-fitting drip tip to use as leverage to unscrew the carto. That way the carto, and not the tank, is used to remove the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread