HELP! Can IMR be Li-Ion batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

balente84

Oct 16, 2013
Hi fellow vapors,

First of all, I want to apologize about my bad English.

I just received AW IMR 18350 battery purchased from ebay, and there was a note from seller "Containing Li-Ion, not Li-Mn" on the packaging. Opened up the package but there were AW IMR batteries.

The problem is, I'm getting confused about what kind of battery I got.

During research, in my understanding
IMR = Li-Mn
ICR = LiCoO2 ( Li-Ion )

The battery says it's IMR, but the seller's note says it's Li-Ion battery. Can Li-Ion batteries be IMR?

1. Did I get ripped off
2. or my ignorance problem
3. or seller's mistake?

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
During research, in my understanding
IMR = Li-Mn
ICR = LiCoO2 ( Li-Ion )

The battery says it's IMR, but the seller's note says it's Li-Ion battery. Can Li-Ion batteries be IMR?

Yes, IMR batteries are Li-ion, it's the Li that makes them lithium-ion, the second half makes the difference.

LiCoO2 LiMn2O4 LiFePO4 are all lithium-ion, but only the LiMn2O4 or shortened name LiMn are IMR.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
All the batteries we use with vaping (Ego's and mods) are Lithium Ion (Li-Mn) batteries. As tj and Stosh said, there are three sub-classes of Li-ion batteries.

• Protected ICR - cobalt based batteries. The first batteries used in mods. Ego batteries are Li-ion. A volatile chemistry considered not as safe as Li-Mn or hybrid batteries.

AW Protected 18650 battery.jpg AW protected ICR

• Li-Mn - Lithium Manganese batteries are safe-chemistry. Also are called "high drain" unprotected batteries. The red AW IMR batteries are an example.

AW IMR 18650.jpg AW IMR

• Hybrid - a combination of ICR and Li-Mn resulting in the best qualities of both. All are safe chemistry (having either Manganese or Nickle. or both) and the majority are high drain. (Excluding the Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mah and NCR 18650B 3400mah models which are not high drain.)

Panasonic NCR18650PD Hybrid.jpg Panasonic NCR hybrid

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?

Last edited:

balente84

Oct 16, 2013
BTW
Do they have hologram ?
No, think these batteries I got are old version or something. Think I'm good as now I know that Li-ion is IMR, also.

This is very strange. Can you contact the seller? Can you post a picture of your battery? Did you want an AW IMR? Were they sold as AW IMR batteries?

If you ordered AW IMR batteries, you should have received AW IMR batteries...

Porkchopbun's first link is a very good read, BTW!
I contacted the seller and waiting for response. I ordered for IMR Li-mn, and the product information said so, too. Still not sure exactly which type of battery I got. Here's the photo of the battery. uploadfromtaptalk1394689272614.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

balente84

Oct 16, 2013
These look like my AW 18350 IMR batteries. Probably older stock as they don't have the updated hologram AW sticker. You should be good to go with these.

Thanks for all your replies!!

I just got confirmed from the seller that my batteries are IMR Li-mn. Maybe I didn't recognize correctly about the Li-mn part :O

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for all your replies!!

I just got confirmed from the seller that my batteries are IMR Li-mn. Maybe I didn't recognize correctly about the Li-mn part :O

Woot! All's well that ends well!

Good luck and happy vaping.

BTW--I use those batteries also! They are great--enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread