Help Me Choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

jburns

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
North Carolina
First post as I am brand new here, a long time smoker and I intend to order an E-cig in the next few days. Obviously I don't want to get ripped off and have been reading reviews and looking at the vids I can find. If some of the veterans here could give me some tips on brands I would appreciate it. Here is what is important to me.

1. Needs to feel as much like a cigarette when in my mouth as possible. Not a big fan of the "Tiporillo" style mouthpiece. The more cigarette like drag the better.

2. Want a good tobacco taste and after taste if possible. No offense to anyone else, but I will get my fruit in my cereal and my drinks at a bar. :)

3. Good amount of "smoke" and a noticeable throat hit.

4. I prefer the look of the mini but have read there is some useability issues especially compared to the pen style. This is the area that has me most confused. At my age I am a bit concerned I will end up lookng like Franklin Roosevelt.

5. In the range I have seen in the ads, price is not an issue. I will pay more for a better product.

I hope that is enough for someone to give me some specific brands to consider.

Thanks!

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
Sounds like a Dura or Pilot will fill the bill. Both feel much like a regular cigarette, including the resistance when taking a drag. I've noticed that some brands have a very light draw but those two have the balance about right for me.

The Dura is larger and produces more vapour in my experience, but it does tend to seep a little fluid at the join between cartridge and atomiser. The older Dura has an automatic cutoff which can make getting a full drag a bit awkward until you get the feel for it; the newer Dura-C has a manual switch.

The Pilot is smaller and has tiny cartridges which need refilling more often. It also produces a little less vapour than the Dura. On the other hand, it isn't prone to leaking and the battery cutoff is long enough that you can always take a full drag on the first go.

Both of them come in kits at around the $50-$70 mark.

I'm sure other people will weigh in with other recommendations - those are just the two I'm most familiar and happy with.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
First post as I am brand new here, a long time smoker and I intend to order an E-cig in the next few days. Obviously I don't want to get ripped off and have been reading reviews and looking at the vids I can find. If some of the veterans here could give me some tips on brands I would appreciate it. Here is what is important to me.

1. Needs to feel as much like a cigarette when in my mouth as possible. Not a big fan of the "Tiporillo" style mouthpiece. The more cigarette like drag the better.

2. Want a good tobacco taste and after taste if possible. No offense to anyone else, but I will get my fruit in my cereal and my drinks at a bar. :)

3. Good amount of "smoke" and a noticeable throat hit.

4. I prefer the look of the mini but have read there is some useability issues especially compared to the pen style. This is the area that has me most confused. At my age I am a bit concerned I will end up lookng like Franklin Roosevelt.

5. In the range I have seen in the ads, price is not an issue. I will pay more for a better product.

I hope that is enough for someone to give me some specific brands to consider.

Thanks!

Stay away from the DSE901's they have the cigarillo tip - and the penstyles would be too big and heavy for you....

As for juice, I hope someone will second me on this - Totally Wicked has some good juices - try for the medium strength in the nic - this should give you good throat hit. If it's not enough you can go up to the higher strengths and trade what you don't like. Not sure about the regular tobacco flavor, though - I don't get enough fruit in my cereal..:D and like the fruity's and vanillas...

~kerri

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
San Francisco, CA. USA
I would recommend the Evo or the Pilot (M401/M402)
I wanted nearly everything you are asking for plus I wanted it to look like a "real smoke" when I first started as well.
I got the Evo in white with "the mighty atom" battery (it's shorter than the genie) it has an orange led so it's pretty realistic from a distance. several weeks into it I find the Last thing I want it to look like is a "real smoke" so I got a few black batteries with blue tips as well...
do yourself a favor and regardless of the brand/style you decide on get At Least 2 batteries and 2 atomizers to start out with- through a shipping error I only got 1 battery and really regretted it when it was on the charger...
I am delighted with mine & hope you have a good intro to the "world-of-vapor" with yours as well.

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
My first ecig was a Pilot M401/402. I love the look and feel of it but it got really tedious refilling those little tiny carts all the time. Plus the batts don't last as long as I think they should. I would recommend it to someone who is a light smoker or as a spare or away from home ecig. I recently got a Classic penstyle from Puresmoker and also got a USB passthrough. Much happier. Although it does have the tiparillo style tip on it, it delivers a much bigger and stronger draw and the batts and carts last much longer. For juice I've only tried Puresmoker and TW. Both are rated very high here in the forum. I like Menthol but I'm sure someone will help you with the tobacco flavor you are looking for. I agree with you, fruits and desserts do not belong in my cig.

hason74

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
west fargo nd
3.... well going on, i went to a bar this weekend just to see peoples reaction, and to see if i could smoke it in there(no problems there at all!!) and i met a guy smoking a ruyan disposable, menthol, i tried it and it wasnt bad so i bought a reg, flavored ruyan jazz classic( i like the penstyle better) if i dont inhale the ruyan i get all kinds of smoke, but when i inhale, then exhale thers no smoke? this will be my back up.

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
hello all just trying to get my posts to 15 lol, bear with me
The heckdyamean!
fargo3.jpg

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
You will want the Intellicig Evo, or the Pilot M-401. I ended up buying the Pilot Hybrid M-401, M402 combo kit. I got my kit at Puresmoker.com. An excellent web site, but they are relocating and the site is down untill March, 20th.
The Pilot M401 is about the length of a 100 cigarette. The Pilot M402 is the exact same ecig., but has a shorter battery and is the length of a regular cigarette.
The battery of the M401 goes solid for about 3 hrs. and the M402 goes for about 2 hrs. The cartridges are small, but easy to refill. I refill my carts. to the brim, and have not had a leaky one yet. I estimate I get around 3-5 "traditional cigarettes" worth of "smoke" on one fill.
The draw on the Pilot is smooth and it hits like a train. I can do a traditional drag, or primer puff it and "WOW", lots of vapor!
Make sure you get eliquid right away also. Stock cartridges have very little liquid, and will dry up fast. With out eliquid, ecigs. are useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread