Status
Not open for further replies.

djironic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Denver
The back-story.

For my first foray into mechanicals, I picked up one of the original FT brass Stingrays, and the experience has been less-than-satisfactory.

The switch is still sub-par (even after putting in quite a bit of work, including cleaning, polishing, sanding, replacing the rice pin, etc). It has a long-throw that sticks and binds and wobbles and crunches and misfires. I have to flick the switch after pressing to ensure that it stops firing (it doesn't always stick, but I've gotten in the habit).

The locking ring is thin and gets stuck in the unlocked position, and takes 5+ (too many, IMO) turns to move it to lock. And when unlocked, I can only stand the 'Ray on the switch if I'm *very* careful, and even then it is about a 50/50 on firing with anything larger than my micro dripper. It also lists drunkenly to the side when standing on the unlocked switch (not a good look!)

I have to connect the atty before putting the battery in, otherwise I'm left with a sizable gap between the top cap and the atty base. Even then, most of my attys will not screw all the way down to the top cap. The best fitting will still leave a razor-edge gap (not super noticeable, but noticeable, and, more importantly, *I* know it's there and it activates my OCD, lol...)

So, I'm looking for another mod. I realize that buying an authentic is probably the best way to ensure I get what I want, but seeing as the Missus looks askew at ANY vape purchase, authentics are out of the question.

Here are my criteria, in order of priority:

1. A short-throw, smoothly operating switch that doesn't bind, stick, or misfire. Magnets seem to make sense as the better mechanism, but since the magnets in the 'Ray aren't producing any miracles, I don't know that I'm attached to magnets.

2. Needs to have very sturdy 510 threading that can allow numerous attys to sit flush to the cap. Particularly without needing to remove the battery first - floating pin is a plus.

3. A fluid, quick spin locking ring. If it could be operated one-handed, that would be swell. Couple of flicks and locked would be my ideal. Reverse threading would be an awesome bonus.

4. Ability to stand on the switch without firing would be much appreciated. No wobble or lean when standing would really make me happy. :)

5. Low voltage drop (duh). 'Nuff said. Probably leaning towards SS/brass over copper at this point, even though copper probably has the lowest voltage drop. Not a hard rule, that one....

6. Looks good. :p

7. Cheap enough for me to sneak it into the house (or the budget) unnoticed, lol... ;)

Suggestions?

Jdbaker82

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2014
United States
I didn't read any of that because I don't know much about mech mods but the (2) I picked out from fasttech and decided to order are these 2 beauty's that have got good reviews and low voltage drops that's all I cared about. I currently just own a black copper stingray but want some more battery holders and devices for my sub ohm drippers.

-Chi You, Copper Plated Brass $23
-Panzer, Copper (A) $26

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

wrath186

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
Scranton, PA
Yep, I'll throw my two cents in. Just got a sand blasted King Mod on ebay for about 40 bucks. The throw is super small and the switch, at least on mine is slightly recessed, so even when unlocked I can stand it up w/o it firing. lastly the locking ring is reverse threaded and the spin is maybe two turns to lock. All in all a decent investment.

Hope this helps.

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
well...based on your budget and criteria...
Nemesis clone would do it..but it does not always have smooth locking mechanism...the ring can stuck at times ...even on the real one, so you have gently twist..but definitely not single handed lock....the throw can be shorten with extended firing pins and magnets...

You can look at the 2014 King II/III..with magnet upgrades..it has really short throw after magnet upgrade , easy twist locking mechanism..got pretty good reviews and I used one myself, until I drop the firing button..but that is the Infinite version..I have no idea on which manufacture does the Fasttech one. But so far it has good reviews on FTech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread