Help me spend my money

Status
Not open for further replies.

fistoroboto

Jan 3, 2018
Hey guys!

I'm rocking the ego AIO atm and am loving it. I've been vaping 12mg and its mostly kept me off the cigs (still can't quite bring myself to write 'analogs') but that said I want something bigger and better. My problem with the AIO is that it spits, which is super annoying. Maybe I'm drawing too hard on it, but call me crazy, I want something that won't spray boiling blueberry lemonade on my tongue. Also, I want something that just is a little sturdier and better performing.

My ideas so far are the Smoant battlestar, which my local vape shop recommended. I've also been checking out the smok Alien kit. Opinions on either of these mods? Other ideas? Lmk!

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
First, understand the "spitting" is a result of the atomizer or tank, and not the mod. The mod is simply supplying power to the atomizer.

The atomizer coil draws e-liquid from the tank when you take a draw, and the heated coil turns the e-liquid into vapor when you press the fire button.

A number of things could be causing the spitting. Primarily flooding the coil by sucking too hard. Vaping requires a different technique from smoking. A longer, gentler draw works best.

A Word on Vaping Technique

Smoking vs Vaping Differences

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Hey guys!

I'm rocking the ego AIO atm and am loving it. I've been vaping 12mg and its mostly kept me off the cigs (still can't quite bring myself to write 'analogs') but that said I want something bigger and better. My problem with the AIO is that it spits, which is super annoying. Maybe I'm drawing too hard on it, but call me crazy, I want something that won't spray boiling blueberry lemonade on my tongue. Also, I want something that just is a little sturdier and better performing.

It's not you, the AIO's I've bought spit. You have to use the drip tip that deflects it.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I would not buy the Battlestar at this moment.

A Smoant official on another forum has posted a PSA that they are issuing a recall on all Battlestars shipped to Vape101.

Users who purchased Battlestars from other shops are also experiencing the same failures but no recall has been issued for them as of yet.

It looks like the entire production run was faulty.

I'd buy something else or wait for Smoant to confirm that the production issue has been handled.

As far as I can tell, issues started around a month ago. The Recall is only being initiated after Vape101 contacted Smoant to get this all fixed. A lot of users (purchased from other vendors) have reported issues and have not received answers from Smoant. I've also read that some online vendors and shops are refusing to sell their Battlestars to avoid having to deal with them breaking.

Smok mods are great if you like them with no paint and bad QC.

I particularly like this exchange between a shop employee and the Smoant official since it mentions both of the mods posted here:

smoant.png

And here's a quote from the same thread, from the Smoant Official. I definitely will not be buying any Smoant products for a while:
Smoant Official said:
Absolutely, they read every response from my posts here. I have seen more issues crop up in the last month than the rest of my time here combined. I'm hoping that this post serves as a catalyst to get to the root of the problem.

Reminder: This is coming from Smoant itself.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I would not buy the Battlestar at this moment.

A Smoant official on another forum has posted a PSA that they are issuing a recall on all Battlestars shipped to Vape101.

Users who purchased Battlestars from other shops are also experiencing the same failures but no recall has been issued for them as of yet.

It looks like the entire production run was faulty.

I'd buy something else or wait for Smoant to confirm that the production issue has been handled.

As far as I can tell, issues started around a month ago. The Recall is only being initiated after Vape101 contacted Smoant to get this all fixed. A lot of users (purchased from other vendors) have reported issues and have not received answers from Smoant. I've also read that some online vendors and shops are refusing to sell their Battlestars to avoid having to deal with them breaking.

Smok mods are great if you like them with no paint and bad QC.
So neither the Smoant nor the alien then...

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you want something reliable, how about something from Teslacigs? Some of their products have had a few issues, (what mods haven't) but usually not something major. I like that they offer a wide range of products and devices that look quite different from each other, they aren't super expensive, and I am a fan of the vape quality and build quality. Some of their mods are very heavy, some aren't. Some look horrid to me, some look lovely. But they really do have a wide range of options, unless you must have a DNA device, which I'm not sure they have yet, but their TC is still rather reliable if you don't need something super fancy.

I wouldn't buy anything under recall/having issues for a bit, which is why I haven't got the Ares RTA yet, I want to see how everything shakes out.

Some smok models have had issues of various sorts, but some of the newer stuff they've released (like the Smok Mag, although it is a bit of a niche mod) is getting some rather glowing reviews from users.... As is their newest tank the Prince tank I think it is. They aren't the greatest for TC vaping, but for straight up just blowing clouds (if that is what you want) I think that company does that well, and they sell in high volume, meaning that you may hear more complaints.

Just my thoughts as always... :)

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yeah, anything in the Pico line, either the 25 or the new two battery Eleaf Pico something or an Innoken are decent choices. But those are not what will be responsible for the quality of your Vape. Your tank selection is the key there. It sounds like you’re looking for a mtl type experience especially with a higher nic juice. There are several options there you should explore. Both the tank forum here can help as well as the tootle puffer thread in the general discussion area.

First I heard of the Battlestar issue but it’s nice to see Smoant step up to address it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
May be a little out of your price range, but look into a mod that utilizes a DNA chip set. DNA chips are made by Evolv and are a little more expensive because of patents. These chips are IMHO superior to generic chip sets. They are more reliable and more energy efficient as to their battery management and overall performance.

I've used a three-battery mod (Wisemic RX200) and a dual-battery mod (Segelei Fuschai 213 Plus), and only got a day's use of battery time with each mod using Samsung 30Q 20A 3000mah batteries. I'm not a high wattage vaper, just 30-40 watts. So I was pretty disappointed with their battery life.

I'm currently using a JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w mod that uses a single 18650. I get a full days use with a Samsung30Q 20A 3000mah battery (same 30 - 40 watts). I attribute this to the DNA chip set. The mod costs a little more, but to me a DNA mod is well worth it in the long run. User reviews are all excellent.

I use an original Uwell Crown clearomizer tank on my Jackie. IMHO, this is the most versatile clearomizer on the market. You can use standard coils (1.25 ohm) or sub-ohm coils. It has a wide range of air control via the ratcheted air control ring for either MTL or DTL vapers. 4 ml liquid capacity. Easy top fill.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I have yet to read about any Battlestar issues, guess it's a newer run. There are just so many good mods out now. Smok quality is hit or miss so I personally will not but their mods. My favorite mods come from Lost Vape or Smoant. I have a Think Vape Exus Ark I enjoy using as well. I say pick the tank first then decide on the mod.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Smoant has acknowledged a problem with some Battlestars. It's version 014 of the firmware that's affected. Version 011 (mine) and runs up to 014 are unaffected. It apparently affects VW mode but not SS mode.

Here's the ECF thread:

Smoant Battlestar pulsating ramp up issue

Bad Smoant: Letting a bad chip slip through the QC system and get released into the wild

Good Smoant: Owning up to the problem and trying to make things right

If you have the chance to get a Battlestar in a face-to-face transaction and you like the price, get it. As long as the firmware version of the one you get isn't 014, you will love the device. Explain the issue to the sales-dude and he ought to let you try before you buy. If it's the doinked version, it's coming back anyway, so...

I've had mine for about three months now and if it was gonna die sans abuse, it would have already.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Smoant has acknowledged a problem with some Battlestars. It's version 014 of the firmware that's affected. Version 011 (mine) and runs up to 014 are unaffected. It apparently affects VW mode but not SS mode.

Here's the ECF thread:

Smoant Battlestar pulsating ramp up issue

Bad Smoant: Letting a bad chip slip through the QC system and get released into the wild

Good Smoant: Owning up to the problem and trying to make things right

If you have the chance to get a Battlestar in a face-to-face transaction and you like the price, get it. As long as the firmware version of the one you get isn't 014, you will love the device. Explain the issue to the sales-dude and he ought to let you try before you buy. If it's the doinked version, it's coming back anyway, so...

I've had mine for about three months now and if it was gonna die sans abuse, it would have already.
If the sale dude will put a couple batteries in 20 clicks on the power button will tell you what version the mod is. (Can't believe I used the term sale dude, bad Cowboy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread