Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjloa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas by way of NYC
:mad::mad:Ok I just dont get it and im getting very frustrated! Here is the deal I went to a tank from clearo`s a few weeks back because clearo`s just weren't doing it for me. I went to my local B&M and they suggested tanks. I am like ok specially being new to this. I walked out so happy because I was getting great taste and tons of vapor. So I went back a week later and bought 3 more tanks and 2, 5 packs of carto`s. Then stuff started but im gonna jump ahead of that. Now the cartos that came with the tanks were starting to taste funny. I was getting like a burnt metal taste. Called the store and they told me the carto's were on the way out and from what I read here that usually ment the carto was spent.

So I broke open a few of the new cartos filled them the way they showed me at the store which was like so many you tube vids. I'll be damed if I wasnt getting that same burnt metal taste again. Now im upset because im wasting juice. So I emptied what juice I could salvage out of the tank and tried another carto. This time it worked fine was getting good flavor and vape so I figured that the other was DOA and tossed it. So now the second tank was the same and the new carto was burnt metal. So yet again I changed the carto and was like WTH another DOA and the second carto on that one worked fine. Ok im hapy im vaping and I let it go. I just thought I had just some bad luck that 2 cartos out of 10 were DOA.

Now heres the part that is just burning my .... the 2 that I did get working are on the way out after about a week with the burnt metal chemical taste. Ok just put in new ones. (So keep in mind out of 10 2 are DOA and 2 more are almost dead a week later which leaves me 6 cartos. And I am ok with doing what is neccessary to have a unit work they way i want and should.) Sure as fish need to swim the 2 new cartos I tried to use have this burnt metal taste! Now i am just done because i only have 2 carto's left un opened. Then today i get my BEAUTIFUL new IBTanks im jumping for joy and they came with cartos. WOOT ill have something to hold me over till i can get some help here.

So these cartos are diff..... So i do some more reading and video watching. I make the in side nice and moist fill the tank and let them sit for about 20 min. After 20 min im so ready for a vape and sure enough there is that burnt metal taste again! And i just wasted 1/2 a bottle of 2 new juices i just bought to try /cry

The carts i was using were these CE2 Style Tank Replacement Single Coil Cartomizers, 2.0 Ohms, Dual Hole that i bought in my local B&M, and the ones that came with my new tanks were https://www.ibtanked.com/accessories/cartomizers/smok-3-2-ohm-single-coil-2-hole-xl-detail.

So what am I doing wrong? Please help im down to 1 old tank that works to vape and dont want to be stuck without something to vape as i will fall off the vape wagon and go back to cigs.:mad::mad:

Last edited:

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for all of your questions but for future reference you might wanna try ordering your replacement cartos from valley Vapes. They have a option to pretest & punch your cartos so that hopefully they aren't DOA. I'm just receiving my first carto tanks from them & so far all of my cartos are great!! Hopefully Baditude or another vet will come along soon with the answer to your problems. Good luck!

DeathsMistress

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
jeneefowler.com
Sometimes when you first try a new carto or tank system there is a sort of oil film on the filaments that has to be burned away before it can taste right. I have had that problem a few times. Also, you can always pull everything apart and wash it in really really hot water. You'll get a lot more uses out of them. I can use a carto or clearo for weeks as long as I clean them out (in super hot water) when I start getting an icky taste or when I notice they're not doing as well.

Tjloa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas by way of NYC
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for all of your questions but for future reference you might wanna try ordering your replacement cartos from valley Vapes. They have a option to pretest & punch your cartos so that hopefully they aren't DOA. I'm just receiving my first carto tanks from them & so far all of my cartos are great!! Hopefully Baditude or another vet will come along soon with the answer to your problems. Good luck!

Thank you Chimney i'll think about that

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hi, Tjloa. I received your PM while I was helping another PM inquiry.

Let me ask you some questions first, and then we can maybe work out a fix with what you are experiencing, ok?

What battery or mod are you using? Is it a fixed voltage or variable voltage?

If variable voltage, what is the resistance or ohm rating of the cartomizers? Usually it will be low (1.5-2.0 ohm), standard (2.1-2.4 ohm), or high (3.0+). And what voltage are you using?

What juice are you using, in particular what is the pg/vg ratio?

In the meantime, read my method of how I pre-fill the cartomizer, and fill the tank, and watch the demo video here and tell me what you did DIFFERENTLY:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-carto-tank-setup.html

Last edited:

Tjloa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas by way of NYC
Hi, Tjloa. I received your PM while I was helping another PM inquiry.

Let me ask you some questions first, and then we can maybe work out a fix with what you are experiencing, ok?

What battery or mod are you using? Is it a fixed voltage or variable voltage?

If variable voltage, what is the resistance or ohm rating of the cartomizers? Usually it will be low (1.5-2.0 ohm), standard (2.1-2.4 ohm), or high (3.0+). And what voltage are you using?

What juice are you using, in particular what is the pg/vg ratio?

In the meantime, read my method of how I pre-fill the cartomizer, and fill the tank, and watch the demo video here and tell me what you did DIFFERENTLY:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-carto-tank-setup.html

Hi Bro thanks for the responce.

I'm using an ego twist

see my links above for the carto info and using at lowest setting if i go any higher it tastes worse

70/30 pg/vg

And i filled it just like the vid and the first new carto just wouldnt work. And just kept giving me that awful burnt metal taste. I think i burned it out so tossed it. Then i put about 10 drops in center filled tank and used the thingy to finish soaking the filler. that seemed to work much better but im still getting that metal taste. im at a loss. and the ones i got at the B&M i filled like they showed me filled the tank put in a few drops in the middle other wise it floods. same thing.

I just dont know what others to use i've been trying to get iken cartos but cant seem to get any lol

Last edited:

lisancentraltx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2009
Ringling Brothers Circus
Tjloa - I see you are online, so I'll tell you what I know.

Install a new carto in a tank

#1 filled the tank with juice
#2 sucked the hell out of it to get the juice to saturate the carto
#3 then I set my Twist or PV to the LOWEST SETTING
#4 zap the on button to taste the vape

TASTE = BURNED JUICE -> suck up more juice into carto BEFORE firing up the PV again
TASTE = light juice taste -> suck up more juice into carto BEFORE firing up the PV again
TASTE = perfect juice flavor and a MOUTHFUL OF JUICE or gurgling -> carto is flooded, remove tank from PV and blow excess juice into a paper towel

NOTE: if you can't get juice to saturate the carto after 4-5 hard draws, the hole is too small or the juice is heavy VG, punch another hole or a bigger hole in the carto. ALSO, if you have your PV set HIGH and the carto is low oHm, it will always burn the juice and may *POP* and then burn the juice.

TASTE = perfect juice flavor -> carto installed correctly

There is a way to use a condom to fill the carto, but I don't do all of that. See the videos.

Last edited:

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Those first cartos you got, the ce2 style, really are'nt any different from the clearos you were using before. The first thing to consider is that they need to be tilted regularly to get juice up to the coil, the juice won't climb the silica string wicks sufficiently on its own. If you are tilting them, it's possible that the rubberish cap around the coil cup is compressing the wicks to much and needs to be lifted up a bit. Another possibility is that the juice is'nt seeping in through the holes in the carto sufficiently, with your juice ratios I would think it would though, then again I have'nt used the ce2 style hole punched cartos so don't know the ins and outs of them. I do use ce2's in tanks regularly, but I cut off the metal tube, so it's a bit different. I would guess all your ce2 style cartos are good yet, you just have a learning curve to deal with. They don't really just burn up, your not getting juice to them most likely.

EDIT: There is also the possibility of primer on the coils from the factory, you would notice that from the first toke though. Have you tried cleaning any of the ce2's?

Last edited:

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
My last post was based on the asumption that your ce2 cartos were the traditional ones with no filler, just wick, but if the insides are like the ones in this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartomizers/383388-strange-carto.html, I've never used them. Seems like a bad idea to me. See if you can tell if they have that filler in them or not.

EDIT: You may have the modified ce2 version shown here in this review. http://www.stevevape.com/ce2-tank-cartomizer-review/ Can you see the wicks in the holes? Just like a normal ce2 but a much shorter stem.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm using an ego twist
see my links above for the carto info and using at lowest setting if i go any higher it tastes worse
70/30 pg/vg
And i filled it just like the vid and the first new carto just wouldnt work. And just kept giving me that awful burnt metal taste. I think i burned it out so tossed it. Then i put about 10 drops in center filled tank and used the thingy to finish soaking the filler. that seemed to work much better but im still getting that metal taste. im at a loss. and the ones i got at the B&M i filled like they showed me filled the tank put in a few drops in the middle other wise it floods. same thing.
Ok, what I learned from you:

You are using variable voltage, but using it at it's lowest setting. Your not frying a low resistance coil.

The resistance of the carto that you are using is the proper ohm rating for the voltage you have set.

A single laser-drilled hole should easily be enough for the pg/vg juice ratio that you have.

It sounded like the original carto's that you were using were the ce2 carto's that use the same wicking system that clearomizers use, so I'm not surprised your result with those wasn't much different from what you experienced from the clearomizers.

You seem to be aware of the proper way to pre-fill the cartomizer and fill the tank, so I am assuming that the cartomizer is not dry and that being the cause of the awful burnt taste.

I'm assuming that the juice itself is not the problem; that you have vaped it before and it tasted fine.

Are these single or dual coil cartomizers that you are using?

:blink::confused:

I have to confess I don't know what the problem is, without actually having your tank/pv for me to try it. Sorry, maybe someone else will have some better ideas.

I will say this, though. Once a carto has that awful, burnt flavor in it you will never be able to correct it. It's a throw away at that point. My only suggestion unless someone comes along with a better solution is to return the tank to the B & M dealer and have them examine it for an easier direct inspection, which we can not do here obviously. You're lucky to have one nearby to consult. Hopefully they are knowledgeable and experienced enough to diagnose the problem.

Last edited:

Tjloa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas by way of NYC
EDIT: You may have the modified ce2 version shown here in this review. CE2 Tank Cartomizer Review Can you see the wicks in the holes? Just like a normal ce2 but a much shorter stem.

Yes those were the first ones i was using and they were fine when i got them then when i had to replace this all started with that awfull taste that wouldnt go away. The only diff is that the B&M told me the ones they sold are 1.5ohm is all

Then i bought some IBTanked tanks and he was so nice to include some cartos with them the tanks work perfect not a drip look great its the cartos. Getting that awful burnt metal chemical taste

https://www.ibtanked.com/accessories/cartomizers/smok-3-2-ohm-single-coil-2-hole-xl-detail

and Bad they are both single coil

Tjloa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas by way of NYC
Oh and as some had said that there might be some stuff on the coil that needs to burn off so instead of tossing the cartos i just puffed it a bit to see if it went away and it didnt.

But i would like to know what was ment when some said clean the carto? How do you clean or pull apart a carto to clean it?

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
But i would like to know what was ment when some said clean the carto? How do you clean or pull apart a carto to clean it?

You really have to take the tube off to clean those properly. They look to be press fitted on and not made to be taken apart, does'nt mean you shouldn't try it if you want to. I would take a pliers and hold the flange then slowly try to wiggle the tube back and forth to loosen it up, it'd be an experimiment though, if the tube deformed it wouldn't be good anymore. This followed by warm water rinse,drying of wicks, and dry burn.

Another option you could try is to go in the top end and see if you can pull the rubber cap out, then the warm water rinse and dry burn. It might be a little tuff to get the cap back in lined up with the wicks though. Maybe if you put the cap back in upside down (I used to do this with clearos) it might improve wicking. Then again might cause over wicking/flooding.

The last option I'm not to fond of is to just soak in hot water or alohol, as is without taking it apart, then the rinse and dry burn. I don't really like this method cause with the rubber cap still on, the junk can't be washed out very well and you can't see the coil.

It's always best to dry the wicks before dry burning, other wise you have to vaporize all that water which takes a bit of time and is more wear and tear on your coil and battery. If you can't squeeze the wicks dry cause you can't take the cartos apart it would probably work out best to leave the cleaned cartos sit after cleaning to dry out a day or so before the dry burn and just rotate cartos that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread