The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Help protank burnt ness!

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Mrskoon1, Oct 24, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mrskoon1

Mrskoon1 Full Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Florida
    Ok so I have been using my protank 2 on vv-ego battery for a while with a 2.5 ohm coil on 4.0 volts and no problems. Now I have a itaste vv3 because I've heard many great things about it and I don't know what the hell I did but everytime I set it to wattage it just sucks! Like it is a burnt horrible taste almost every time almost like I'm vaping the coil with no liquid. I see the bubbles go down and tooken hits without using fire button, I've tried multiple coils multiple liquids and multiple combinations of pg/vg so what am I doing wrong. If I set it too anything over 7 watts it burns like crazy after 2 hits. So is it maybe cheap coil heads or is it a defective battery or is maybe the piece that hold the coil together just broken? Please help!!!

2. jhelliwell

jhelliwell Fog master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Sheffielld, UK
    You don't say what power in Watts you are using. Most mods have independent settings for VV or VW modes. Your VW mode may be set too high. With a Protank, I find anything above 6watts is pushing it too hard. How often are you cleaning/dry burning your head

3. Mrskoon1

Mrskoon1 Full Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Florida
    It's the itaste vv3 it goes from 6-11 watts and i get the burnt taste literally the second I put a new coil head on

4. jhelliwell

jhelliwell Fog master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Sheffielld, UK
    OK so you may have set the iTaste to 4.0 volts, then put it into variable wattage mode, but it won't keep the voltage setting. You can set either the voltage OR the wattage but not both.

So find out the current Wattage, and possibly reduce it until the burnt taste ceases :)

5. ShogaNinja

ShogaNinja Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Ohio
    You're tasting burnt stuff because your wick is probably burned. People think that the silica wicks that these manufacturers use are fireproof, but that's not true. I've burned through a ton of silica wicks. Not only that, but there are health issues being brought up on the ECF here that show that microscopic particles are released into your vapor and that they "never leave your lungs". Whether this is true or not is up to you decide. Me? I think better safe than sorry.

The best thing you can do is get yourself some 100% cotton wick (2.5mm for candles, at a craft store), or embroidery thread works in a pinch (get the thickest stuff they have (DMC brand, size #5) use 3-4 strands (I find 3 works better in a Viva Nova)), order some 32 or 33AWG Kanthal A-1 from ebay (temco) and rebuild your own coils the right way. The difference between cotton and silica with flavor is night and day. They only last about a week but it's so cheap and easy to rebuild that it's worth the improvement in performance and flavor. On a separate note, I prefer the Viva Nova Mini to the Kanger Protank because it comes with multiple heads that you can rebuild in advance and replace on the fly. The Protank's wick is tiny, harder to rebuild and stuff into the case, and there are many complaints about leaking. There's also an issue where the thing doesn't work without stuffing what is referred to as a "flavor wick", or a piece of standalone wick on top of the coil. This can have several effects. It can prevent gobs of burning juice from being inhaled by you (not a pleasant experience) or it can help saturate the wick and provide more flavor (thus the name). The other use is that it helps stuff the holes where your wick comes out without making the wick gigantic (and the coil longer), thus lowering the resistance of the coil, and preventing flooding. One of the main issues you will have is filling the diameter of the wick holes without over or under-doing it. Too thin? Leakage. Too thick? Dry hits as the wick is pinched off. It's a bit of trial and error, but hopefully with a few tries you'll figure out what works. It took me 2 tries, personally.

Lastly, I would recommend you lower the voltage. These devices often use Pulse Modulation to get their voltages higher than the 4.2 volts a lithium ion battery can provide. This often results in a somewhat inaccurate voltage at lower settings with cheaper devices. Don't be afraid to go low voltage. Your battery will last longer that way anyway. You'll know when you go too low because you won't really get any vapor. Find the sweet spot. That's what variable voltage (and wattage) is all about.

6. RubyRoo

RubyRoo Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Wow, that blows. I hate bad vape nights. I have a VV v3 as well and I've had no problems with it at all with my Protanks. I usually have mine set to between 8 and 9 watts with no burning issues. Be sure to let your coil wick up for about 10-15 minutes before trying to vape it. Also, if you are using a higher VG blend in your Protank, you will need to remove one or both of the flavor wicks that rest on top of the coiled wick. Remove the atomizer, wiggle off the silicone gasket, wiggle off the top tube, and remove one flavor wick. Reassemble and try again. If you are still getting a burning flavor after a few minutes, take out the second flavor wick. This is all dependent on your PG/VG ratio. I vape a 50/50 blend and removing one wick works great for me. Good luck!

7. Hoot48

Hoot48 Full Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Palm Springs, Ca.

What he said...do some study...ive used protank2s and mini protank2 for a few weeks now...and never..ever..got a burnt taste. I do all my coils now in COTTON and its been a game changer for me! Study up...good luck.

8. The Ocelot

The Ocelot Psychopomp Verified Member ECF Veteran

I dunno. I use Protanks, but find them odd little critters. I got mine in the first wave back in Feb or March, so I've been playing with them for quite awhile. I was surprised that the voltage recommendations on the card Kanger included were pretty accurate. I thought they seemed low, but my Protanks don't seem to like a lot of power. Mine, someone else's may be different.

New heads are kind of odd too. I switched heads tonight, same resistance, same tank, same juice, same settings, but after a couple of drags I had to turn it down since it was tasting a bit burnt. Right now, I have a 2.5Ω head vaping quite well at 3.7v. That's 5.5 watts. That's weird. But it's quite yummy.

9. stevegmu

stevegmu Moved On ECF Veteran

I use low resistance and low power. Usually 1.8ohm heads at 2.9-3.0v., or 2.2 ohm at 3.1-3.3 v. Works great for me. I fill a tank twice, wash, fill 2 more times and toss out the head.

Silica wicks won't break down unless washed or soaked and reused over and over again. Cotton, on the other hand, do some research on pesticides and chemicals used in cotton production and you may think twice about the safety of cotton.

10. dailywalker

dailywalker Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 24, 2013
    Fantastica
    IMHO I would change the coils in the tanks or rebuild them. I would switch the VV3 to voltage and start out at 3.5 -4 volts.
    I use my VV3 with protanks at 6 watts (as low as the VV3 will go in watts) and like the vape at that wattage. I think my coils in my protanks are 2.2 ohms. I would think about buying 1.8 ohm coils to use also. I'm bad at the math thing though. Good luck.

11. Krint

Krint Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 19, 2013
    Buffalo
    I am having same problem with my itaste vv3 I have protank an mini 2 both have new wicks even took out one wick as suggested by some and get a burnt taste with any wattage over 6 and if I change to voltage I loose flavor after 3.3 witch is every low for a 2.6 ohm coil. It is so frustrating when it worked great on ego c vv

12. PNW Rider

PNW Rider Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 3, 2013
    Mukilteo, Wa
    i found the solution to Protank burning rubbers, i puchased a kayfun lite! it is amazing. i nailed my first build on it using sandy at vaperev's video, Cotton yarn and 32 gauage. Now i need to sell my Z-atty-pro because the kayfun blows it out of the water on vapor maybe not flavor but still great.
    NO leaks and BIG vapor with 30 pg 70 VG.

13. Jovinho

Jovinho Full Member Verified Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Stinkapore
    I either change the wick or set it at a lower voltage/wattage, sometimes I think its the juice that's burnt and stuck on to the wicks.

14. Krint

Oct 19, 2013
    Buffalo
    I just find it odd that I can but a brand new coil in prime it and first hit is burnt and it only is on the itaste vv3 not On any other battery I have used

15. stevegmu

Too much power for the resistance of the coil and not wicking fast enough are the only real reasons for burnt taste. I have found Kanger coils to work well at low power.

16. Krint

Oct 19, 2013
    Buffalo
    What wattage or voltage do you run your kangers at

17. stevegmu

I use low resistance and low power. Usually 1.8ohm heads at 2.9-3.0v., or 2.2 ohm at 3.1-3.3 v. Works great for me. I fill a tank twice, wash, fill 2 more times and toss out the head.

18. Rabbit Chaser

Rabbit Chaser Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 16, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    I'm having the same exact problem even with new coils directly from Kanger. I have a 1.5 ohm coil and it tastes fine at first but then back to burning rubber. I gave up using it.

[​IMG]

19. Vo0Do0

Vo0Do0 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2013
    Tokyo, JP

Same. I take out both for my 100% VG & 1 for my 70vg/30pg and also put a couple of drops on the wick/coil before vaping as well.

My wattage depends on which juice I'm using! Anywhere between 5 & 8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.