Status
Not open for further replies.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Two calculators, coil toy is more simple, I think, Coil Toy - Online calculator for e-cigarette resistance coil building click on the side of the screen to get the cloud box ad to go away.

steam engine is more comprehensive and has other calculators as well. There is a tab for each calculator Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

What ohms are you trying to reach? Play around with both 28 and 30g on the calculator,
28 on 2mm rod will give you .9 at 6 wraps I think....but you'd need a 3 mm rod for duals to reach .9 and both be under 10 wraps. However, at 30g 2 coils will net .9 on a 2.5mm rod with only 7 wraps each. So you may want some 28 and some 30, just depends. But you can put in your target, then change between single and dual, and your wire gauge and your rod diameter and see what you like best. And ask away if there are more questions. Good luck!!

kinggirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Dallas
Are you looking to build a single coil or dual coil?

Both! :) I've been using the other coil kit that I got at Michael's but got this one in the mail today. I like my rm2's and chalice just under 1 ohm prefer right at .9.

I have a derringer and Odin that I use dual's on. But, that "dual math" sometimes throws me so I literally have my instructions for build on a post it note lol. This little device so far seems MUCH easier fyi for anyone out there considering it.

Reactions: Debadoo

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Both! :) I've been using the other coil kit that I got at Michael's but got this one in the mail today. I like my rm2's and chalice just under 1 ohm prefer right at .9.

I have a derringer and Odin that I use dual's on. But, that "dual math" sometimes throws me so I literally have my instructions for build on a post it note lol. This little device so far seems MUCH easier fyi for anyone out there considering it.

The 'dual math' is easy. The total resistance of 2 coils will be 1/2 the resistance of a single coil of the same size, because there are now 2 paths for the current. Thus, a dual coil set up, built with .9 ohm coils, will result in .45 ohms, total. In order to build a dual coil .9 ohm set up, you would make two 1.8 ohm coils.

Henry Etta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I switched from the Michael's coil jig to the coil master after I saw super x's second video... funny thing is, when I got it, I did the exact same thing he did in the first video (basically did not do it right). Now that I have it down, it's much easier than the coil jig. And I like being able to try various coil sizes, though I almost always stay with the 1.5- for some reason, it gives me the best flavor.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
If you were using the coil gizmo, the 2nd smallest rod is about 1.65mm diameter. The coil master gives you two choices - one smaller (1.5mm), one larger (2mm).

If you went with the 2mm rod, to get .9ohms you're looking at 6 wraps (and it would prolly be more like 1.0ohms). To get a dual build netting .9ohms, you'd need two 1.8ohm coils; 11 wraps with the 2mm rod.

Honestly, if you are looking for a .9ohm net dual build, I'd recommend that you use thinner wire than 28g. 11 wraps is a big coil. 30g wire will get you your 1.8ohm coils with 7 wraps on the 2mm rod.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
If you were using the coil gizmo, the 2nd smallest rod is about 1.65mm diameter. The coil master gives you two choices - one smaller (1.5mm), one larger (2mm).

If you went with the 2mm rod, to get .9ohms you're looking at 6 wraps (and it would prolly be more like 1.0ohms). To get a dual build netting .9ohms, you'd need two 1.8ohm coils; 11 wraps with the 2mm rod.

Honestly, if you are looking for a .9ohm net dual build, I'd recommend that you use thinner wire than 28g. 11 wraps is a big coil. 30g wire will get you your 1.8ohm coils with 7 wraps on the 2mm rod.

This is where the experimentation and experience comes in. As shown above, you can achieve the same resistance, using different wire sizes, coil diameters, and number of wraps. Add to that, the coil resistance alone doesn't determine the quality of the vape. By that I mean, even though the resistance might be the same, different coil diameters, wire gauges, and number of wraps, will behave differently. One build may seem hotter; one may seem cooler, even though the resistance is the same.
For example, I've found that I like coils to be no less than 7 wraps, and no more than 9. My usual build is dual coils, each coil is 7 wraps, on the 2mm pole of the Coil Master, with 26g kanthal. The net result is about .42 ohms + or-. Now, I could achieve about the same total resistance with 6 wraps of 27 gauge, on the 2mm pole. Same coil diameter, same resistance, but different wire gauges. The difference: The vape with the 27g coils will be hotter than the set up made with the 26g. Why? Because the thinner wire, in this case the 27g, heats up quicker than the 26g. Some people prefer that fast heat up. Personally, I don't. I like a little slower ramp up.
So, just building to a target resistance doesn't tell the whole story. That's why coil building and experimenting is fun. Plus you get to learn a lot of interesting stuff.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
This is where the experimentation and experience comes in. As shown above, you can achieve the same resistance, using different wire sizes, coil diameters, and number of wraps. Add to that, the coil resistance alone doesn't determine the quality of the vape. By that I mean, even though the resistance might be the same, different coil diameters, wire gauges, and number of wraps, will behave differently. One build may seem hotter; one may seem cooler, even though the resistance is the same.
For example, I've found that I like coils to be no less than 7 wraps, and no more than 9. My usual build is dual coils, each coil is 7 wraps, on the 2mm pole of the Coil Master, with 26g kanthal. The net result is about .42 ohms + or-. Now, I could achieve about the same total resistance with 6 wraps of 27 gauge, on the 2mm pole. Same coil diameter, same resistance, but different wire gauges. The difference: The vape with the 27g coils will be hotter than the set up made with the 26g. Why? Because the thinner wire, in this case the 27g, heats up quicker than the 26g. Some people prefer that fast heat up. Personally, I don't. I like a little slower ramp up.
So, just building to a target resistance doesn't tell the whole story. That's why coil building and experimenting is fun. Plus you get to learn a lot of interesting stuff.
Great post, brother :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread