Help required- DIY Juice - Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navneet Sehgal

Jan 2, 2018
Hey, I'm new to this forum, and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on these pre-made bases?

I'm not sure how to go about correctly calculating the mixes required, since most calculators, recipes and information seems to deal with PG, VG and Nicotine as individual units.

Current Base in hand:
PG with premix 15 mg (nic) – 250ml
VG-250ml
Coffee flavor concentrate-30 ml

Target:
Coffee flavor, 10 ml juice, 50:50, 6mg strength

Thanks

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hey, I'm new to this forum, and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on these pre-made bases?

I'm not sure how to go about correctly calculating the mixes required, since most calculators, recipes and information seems to deal with PG, VG and Nicotine as individual units.

Current Base in hand:
VG-250ml

Target:

Thanks
Hi and welcome,
What percentage are you using when mixing the coffee concentrate?
If you mix at 10% coffee concentrate to make 30ml, you are "almost" at 50/50 using what you have listed.

push.JPG

Cheers
I

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hi; and welcome!

Current Base in hand:
VG-250ml

Target:

Using what you have, and getting to your desired target, you would use:
  • 4mL of 15mg/mL PG nic base
  • 5mL of VG
  • 1mL of Coffee flavor concentrate
This will result in 10mL of 10% coffee e-liquid, in a 50PG/50VG base, at 6mg.mL nicotine.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Because you do not have plain PG available as a separate ingredient, you can only control the PG/VG ratio by altering the amount of flavor concentrate. 10% flavoring may, or may not be the ideal amount for this recipe tasting its best to you.

You can adjust the flavor percentage up or down; but this will change the PG/VG ratio (if that is important to you).

To maintain the 6mg/mL ratio you want to keep the 15mg/mL PG nic base at 40% (40% of 15 is 6).

So, if you need to reduce the flavor concentrate amount, you would increase the VG by the same amount. If you need to increase the flavor concentrate amount, you would want to decrease the VG by the same amount. Remembering that this will move the PG/VG ratio a bit over/under your 50/50 target.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-2_15-59-35.png
    upload_2018-1-2_15-59-35.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 11

Navneet Sehgal

Jan 2, 2018
Hi and welcome,
What percentage are you using when mixing the coffee concentrate?
If you mix at 10% coffee concentrate to make 30ml, you are "almost" at 50/50 using what you have listed.

View attachment 710113
Cheers
I
Thanks Izan. This DIY calculator will certainly help. There is however one drawback which I do understand for premix nic, which is to increase the flavor concentration to 20%. Cause I think this will dis-balance the proportion.

Navneet Sehgal

Jan 2, 2018
Yes, I'm a bit unclear on what you are asking as well. I'm not entirely clear-- how much of the "one shot" base do you want to add, and is it VG or PG or both? I'm sorry to not be of more help, but I'm a bit confused about what you are after and what flavoring percentage and what its base is.

Anna
Thanks Anna for your revert. I got the query solved. But just for the information sake:
Target was to make 10 ml liquid
10-20% of flavor - PG base
PG base - premix nic 15mg

Navneet Sehgal

Jan 2, 2018
Hi; and welcome!

Using what you have, and getting to your desired target, you would use:
  • 4mL of 15mg/mL PG nic base
  • 5mL of VG
  • 1mL of Coffee flavor concentrate
This will result in 10mL of 10% coffee e-liquid, in a 50PG/50VG base, at 6mg.mL nicotine.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Because you do not have plain PG available as a separate ingredient, you can only control the PG/VG ratio by altering the amount of flavor concentrate. 10% flavoring may, or may not be the ideal amount for this recipe tasting its best to you.

You can adjust the flavor percentage up or down; but this will change the PG/VG ratio (if that is important to you).

To maintain the 6mg/mL ratio you want to keep the 15mg/mL PG nic base at 40% (40% of 15 is 6).

So, if you need to reduce the flavor concentrate amount, you would increase the VG by the same amount. If you need to increase the flavor concentrate amount, you would want to decrease the VG by the same amount. Remembering that this will move the PG/VG ratio a bit over/under your 50/50 target.
Thanks Joel. That was my fear as well. But I could not manage to get liquid nicotine separately except the only option available was PG made nic mix.
May be I should try another mix for higher VG levels.

Navneet Sehgal

Jan 2, 2018
Are you using a premixed 50/50 base vg/pg and separate nic or an all in one 6mg base? If an all in one base your pg will a small bit higher and nic a small bit lower in percentages. Not enough to make much of a difference.

Welcome to the community.
Thanks Letitia for your revert

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
No Nic is pure Nic. They're all mixed in PG or VG. The juice calculators will take this into account. Somewhere in the calculator you set your nic strength of 15 and 100%PG. That's your nic ingredient. Then once you set your target levels, the calculator will tell you how much of each item to add.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks Joel. That was my fear as well. But I could not manage to get liquid nicotine separately except the only option available was PG made nic mix.
May be I should try another mix for higher VG levels.
As @Maestro already stated; all nic that we use to DIY, will have a "carrier" diluting it. It can be PG, or VG, or some combination of both. Any calculator worth its salt will have the ability to set the particular value.

What you are missing, to be able to have complete control in your recipes, is plain PG. That will allow you to mix various flavor percentages while still maintaining a specific PG/VG ratio without depending on your nic or flavoring for the PG component.

It is not absolutely necessary; as my example shows. But, it sure can make life easier, and provide more flexibility... if you have it.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread