Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
What would be the equivalent of 10watts using a voltage mode only Digiflavor S Tube Mod?

The options are:
3.1v
3.4v
3.7v

I've only ever used wattage mode before and have no idea how to calculate Voltage mode.
Thanks

For us, Wattage = Voltage Squared divided by Coil Resistance

=> W = (V^2)/R

Throwing a little Algebra on it gives you...

V = ( W x R)^1/2

Or, Voltage = The Square Root of Wattage times Resistance.

So Plug in what you know, your Wattage = 10, whatever the Resistance is of your Coil, and then Multiple them together. Then take the Square Root of what the product was.

Example:

Wattage = 10 and Resistance = 1.2 Ohms. => 10 x 1.2 = 12

The Square Root of 12 = 3.46. Thus, V = 3.46

Hence, if you set a 1.2 Ohm Coil at 3.46 Volts you will produce 10 Watts of Power.

Last edited:

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
Yup. The formula above (wattage = voltage squared divided by coil resistance) is just a combination of the first two formulas you mentioned.
I just remember how I memorized them way back when Fortran and punch cards were a thing.:) That triangle with E on the top and I R on the bottom is burned into my brain.:)

Reactions: Hawise

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I learned power(watts) = amps times volts and amps = volts divided by Ohms. Also volts(E) = I (amps) times R (resistance)
    I would still recommend sticking to this 2-step method when possible simply because the square root/squared versions avoid the use/calculation of Amps, which might be an oversight in some more exotic builds. If at any point you start seeing Amp values that exceed what you know the battery is capable of, then you need to figure out a new configuration or you need to grab some new batteries.

Also a reason why I hate how most newer mods have cut out the Amp readout on the mod UI. I like to know all values while vaping just to make sure everything is jiving as it should be. For example, if I'm starting to notice the mod getting warm for no reason, I might be able to look at the Amps and realize that the Ohm reading on the coil was knocked way out of whack (ie. from getting banged or being dropped) causing the Amp draw on the battery to be exceedingly high.

Last edited:
    Reactions: borno

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Also realize that setting a Wattage value via VW is not the same as setting a Voltage value via VV. VW is a desired performance setting - a target output. VV is a direct change in input.

In a car, if you want to go faster, you can just hit the gas pedal harder to make the speedometer go higher - the speedometer being a desired output.

Or, you can put higher octane gasoline in your car - that being a direct change in input.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread