Help With Setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash7500

Jan 14, 2018
Hello all. I was desperately trying to quit smoking a couple of years ago (Pack a day Marlboro lights).I purchased a ego twist / tank (Viva Nova) style device and a couple of juices (18 nic level) and it worked pretty good. I quit smoking for almost a year with this. After awhile I started running into problems however. I was getting a lot of burnt hits, gurgling, spitback, leaking and it just turned from an enjoyable experience to a total pain in the .... I purchased several other devices / tanks along the way but kept running into the same problem and could not seem to remedy the issue. Ultimately I had a very stressful period in my life and started smoking again. Here I am again really wanting to quit. vaping is the only thing I ever tried that helped me do this for an extended period of time. I recently purchased a pen style vape with the refillable pod system. I liked the idea of the simple form factor and ease of use but again this did not work well for me. I tried 3 different juices in this (All 6 nic level) and there was almost no flavor, no throat hit and very little vapor. Then I heard about a new style of juice called nic salts thinking maybe this could be the way to go. So I bought a bottle of this and it was way to strong. I tried this twice, took 3 pulls and had a headache instantly. I could not even use this stuff at all because it was just to strong. So, I am asking/begging for advice to help me find the right setup that works for me. I am sure things have changed over the past couple of years and there are much better devices available. Can anyone who has run into similar issues recommend something for me? Sorry for the long post but I am desperate to quit!

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I'm not sure if this the way you want to go but I struggled getting a satisfying vape until I got the big baby beast and 6 my juice, that satisfied me but I couldn't keep up with the cost of coils and juice.

So I recently started DIY juice and purchased an rta and rda. I purchase one wound coils at a fraction of the price of the baby beast coils and my vape is customized and satisfying.

It takes investment, research and patient but if you are serious about vaping, it's the best way to go in my opinion.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd suggest (if you want to avoid dry hits and need a really flavorful device) an ego one mega (V2 is topfill) only don't use the coils that go with it, use joytech coils called the CLR coil. I use the 1.0 coils and it is one of my favorite MTL tanks, with a little more airiness if desired. The coils aren't extremely cheap but can easily be recoiled and rewicked (I rewicked my first one the other day and it was super easy-- there are tutorials-- and I have a fine motor tremor.) They can also be recoiled, if so desired, but coil life is pretty great on them to begin with.

I got my V2 from vapeshop.com and they were fast and reliable. Those tanks are getting harder to find, I think, but they would fit fine on a tube style mod, or if you are looking for something with longer battery life, there are small, internal box mods that are inexpensive, like the zelos mod (50 watt) or lots of folks like the Ileaf pico mod (fair disclosure, I was not a fan of mine, but there are tons of folks that like them).

Maybe try something like that? There's also a pico now with a removable battery that you can charge externally if you'd be more into something like that. Also does TC if you decide that ever becomes your wish.

The nautilus mini is okay, certainly a step up, I don't have one but I started out on a couple Nautilus 2 tanks, as I am a MTL vaper, and I don't have a lot of bad stuff to say about them for the price, other than fairly small capacity, more like 1.7 or 1.8 ml if you use the topfill line. The cage is nice for drops, but IMO it's a heat sink a bit, and can cause the tank to retain heat..... :)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get some other good suggestions.

I'm just trying to think a little out of the box with something other than the Nautlius coils (although I own several of the Nautilus coil tanks and they are great little coils) but I really think perhaps the CLR coil might do you well. I've never had flooding, dry hits, and etc., and for drop in coils they are among my favorites for flavor. If you want a larger tank they exist and there are lots of tanks that will take that coil, but the Ego One Mega is a great little tank and very easy to operate.

As far as juices, nic salts are smoother but reportedly more bioavailable more quickly so you do have to be careful with them. If 18 mg of regular nic was working in the past, I'd suggest doing that with just a slightly more powerful setup to give you more satisfaction. If that feels "harsh" in your new gear, you could lower it, or even combine some nic salt juice (at that higher percentage) with some regular freebase nic at a lower percentage, perhaps. But really, finding a juice you like and can tolerate is important as well. 18 may be too high, you may want to look at lowering your PG slightly as well, if it's a high ratio, as PG can cause more throat hit and contribute to harshness.

Best of luck,

Anna

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Welcome! You've got a lot of things going on all at once with your past experiences. It makes it rough to compartmentalize them all and suggest. Also your preference for "simple" adds a dimension of limitation on what can be suggested. I'm going to approach this from what I would use and why. This takes into account things I have purchased and simply did not work well for me.

1. Battery/Mod: Something like the Hcigar Warwolf. There are many with the same general attributes. It uses an 18650 battery. I like this as I can have another charged and ready and keep on vaping. It does have variable power. I can adjust the power to the vape I like. Simple menu system. Uses a menu for navigation of controls a lot like like a computer program. Does not have a lot of unnecessary features like statistics, flashing led adjustments, custom curve vape profiles, etc. 510 connection. I can use many different atomizers. Small and relatively inexpensive.

2. Atty. Something like the Nautilus 2. Simple design. Supports a loose mtl to a tight dl vape. Covers the range of most stinkies pretty close. Reliable replacement coils. Like the mod, moderately priced.

3. Juice. For the nautilus I would suggest buying fairly thin juice. I prefer 50/50 in that atty. Beyond that, purchase small amounts until you find something that works. Nothing as frustrating to me as having 120ml of draino on the shelf. We have a chain brick and mortar in the area "Wild Bill's Smoke Shop" that will mix 15ml batches of their juices at all different nic levels on the spot. If you can find such a place you can get something like 6, 12, 18, mg nic concentrates and see what works best. It won't break the bank either. I can't comment on salt nic as I have always used "standard" nic and know what to expect.

Beyond the above there are many factors that could have caused the ill effects that you describe. Too many for me to try to deal with. One step at a time.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. My go-to recommendation for new vapers looking to find what they actually want in a vape is to go with something that has a lot of flexibility so they can try different regimes. I personally feel the Kanger Topbox starter kits-- there are several-- offer this flexibility. They have high-ohm coils for MTL, low-ohm coils for direct lung, and will allow the use of an RBA adapter in the included tank so you can also build your own. The power runs from 7-75 watts, which is as low as you need to go on up to fairly powerful, if not full-blown, top-of-the-line cloud machine power. The problem with flexible kits-- all flexible engineering designs everywhere-- is a kit that must do many things can not be optimized for any one specific thing. That means you might want to move on from this type of machine in the future, once it helps you figure out where you want to be.

That's actually a feature, not a bug. It is quite normal for new vapers to try anywhere from a few to very many different rigs trying to find the one they need. In addition to the machine itself, juices also have many variables and the one you want will be a specific subset of them. We'll help you over the rough spots, and suggest different avenues to try, but only you can determine when you've found the right spot, and only you can provide the determination to stick it out until you do.

My journey is indicative: I started with a cheap eGo pen setup, like everyone. It wasn't enough. I moved into regulated mods and better tanks, but they weren't powerful enough and didn't breathe well enough for me. I moved into mechanical mods and freer breathing RTA tanks-- there were then no regulated mods capable of more than 15 watts of power-- then back to regulateds once the power supply went up, and finally back onto mechanicals-- I like them, like a lot-- and RDAs for home use and mechanical squonk mods for out and about. I have no indication I have finally found the sweet spot I'll never leave-- never tried a pod system or nic salts yet-- but I am also not worried about it because what I have is good enough.

Good enough is where you need to be. Try something with a lot of room in it for experimentation. Talk to us about how it works for you and what you don't like about it, so we can help you get pointed in the right direction. When you get closer to where you want to be, be can help you look for a rig that is optimized for that regime, no matter what it might be.

Good luck and let us know how you're getting on.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello all. I was desperately trying to quit smoking a couple of years ago (Pack a day Marlboro lights).I purchased a ego twist / tank (Viva Nova) style device and a couple of juices (18 nic level) and it worked pretty good. I quit smoking for almost a year with this. After awhile I started running into problems however. I was getting a lot of burnt hits, gurgling, spitback, leaking and it just turned from an enjoyable experience to a total pain in the .... I purchased several other devices / tanks along the way but kept running into the same problem and could not seem to remedy the issue. Ultimately I had a very stressful period in my life and started smoking again. Here I am again really wanting to quit. Vaping is the only thing I ever tried that helped me do this for an extended period of time. I recently purchased a pen style vape with the refillable pod system. I liked the idea of the simple form factor and ease of use but again this did not work well for me. I tried 3 different juices in this (All 6 nic level) and there was almost no flavor, no throat hit and very little vapor. Then I heard about a new style of juice called nic salts thinking maybe this could be the way to go. So I bought a bottle of this and it was way to strong. I tried this twice, took 3 pulls and had a headache instantly. I could not even use this stuff at all because it was just to strong. So, I am asking/begging for advice to help me find the right setup that works for me. I am sure things have changed over the past couple of years and there are much better devices available. Can anyone who has run into similar issues recommend something for me? Sorry for the long post but I am desperate to quit!

Hi Slash. Welcome to the ECF. I've got some Very Good News and some somewhat Bad News.

The Very Good News is that Todays hardware is Infinitely Better than what was around in the eGo Twist/Viva Nova era. The somewhat Bad News is there is a Bewildering Amount of choices available Today when it comes to Hardware.

For someone who is Trying to Quit Smoking, I would suggest keeping things as Simple as Possible.

An iStick 40w TC would be a Good Choice for a built-in battery mod. Inexpensive. Compact Size. Has TC which you might like to try/use. Doesn't need you to buy Batteries (more choices to consider) and an External Battery Charger (even More choices).

The Only Downside to the iStick 40x TC (as with any other built-in battery mode) is you Can't use it while it is Charging.

This Isn't as big of a Problem though as you might think. Because you Really have to have 2 Mods. One that you are using. And one as a Backup in case something happens to the 1st one. So you can use One Mod while the Other is charging.

If the Only thing keeping you from Smoking is the Mod/Tank in your hand, then you need a Back-Up incase you Drop/Break it, the Lose it, or for some reason it just stops working.

Now a Mod like the eLeaf Pico (or any other Mod that uses Removable 18650 Batteries) allows you to Swap out the Battery when it is drained. But then you would need to buy a Pair of Good Batteries and a Good External Charger.

As for a Tank? I would Recommend you get one that uses Drop-In Coil Heads. As for which one? I'll leave that up to those who have more Experience with Coil Head Tanks.

Buying your 1st stuff for a Local Vape Shop (as long as they have what you want) isn't a Bad Idea. Yeah, you'll pay a Tad more verses buying something Online. But if you Buy something form a Local Shop, you can go back and ask them Questions if you run into Problems. Or just don't understand what is going on.

For an e-Liquid(s)? All bets are kinda off. Because a lot will depend on the Tank you get and the type of Coils you run in it. Decide on you Tank/Coil first. That will narrow down (somewhat) the options of things like Nicotine mg/ml level and PG|VG Ratios.

I know this All might sound Complex. But it Really Isn't as bad as it probably sounds. And once you get something in your Hand things will seem Much Easier.

Sitimci_Hamdi

Jan 14, 2018
Dear my firend

All answers are in the atomizer and liquids. For atomizers I want to recommend you; 1- Joyetech Cubis Pro with 1.5ohm coil at 14-16watts
2- Aspire Nautilus 2
For liquids I want to recommend you DIY with flavors; 1- Flavors Express (555, Dnhill, Real Cig, MLB) with 2%
2- Club Der Dampfer (Tabak No 1, 4, 8, 98 and 119) with 2%

Care yourself and good luck

Hamdi, IST

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I have run into all the issues you have described and it was pretty much down to inexperience on my part. Burnt tasting hits? Change the coil. Sputtering and gurgling? The coil is probably flooded. Leaking? I had this problem because I hadn't fastened the coil correctly. None of those things may be true in your case.

I currently use four different devices. Every single one of them will gurgle if I fill the tank too high after changing the coil. I fill half way, vape a while and then fill a bit higher. I strongly concur with those above who say that when you are trying to cut down or quit smoking keep it simple. The eleaf istick is a good choice though I use it with an innokin prism tank. That tank is great! Easy to refill, coils are not too expensive, good capacity and so on.

That tank actually comes with the innokin T22 starter kit which is a great device for those trying to quit smoking. And the price is right.

You had a real run of bad luck with your vaping devices. Hope 2018 brings you better luck!

• Agree
Reactions: Fidola13

slash7500

Jan 14, 2018
Thank you all for the advice! I really do appreciate all of the suggestions.
I will read up on all of these and put together a new setup. Yes, there are quite a few options available now but I saw the istick mentioned a few times and may be a good place to start for me. I know finding the right tank/juice is important as well so I may need to experiment a little with those. I now have a good idea of what to look for at least. I am more a fan of tobacco flavored juices than others and that is what helped me quit the first time.
I believe the first one I used was called US light from mfs (Supposed to be close to Marb light).
I tried at least 10-15 other tobacco flavors along the way, some were ok some were just bad but never found "the one". Any thoughts on juice would be great as well. I have never tried DIY juice and am not really sure where to even begin with that. Again, thank you all!

Reactions: Sitimci_Hamdi

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I know finding the right tank/juice is important as well so I may need to experiment a little with those. I now have a good idea of what to look for at least
Welcome and glad you joined.
"I purchased a ego twist / tank (Viva Nova) style device and a couple of juices (18 nic level) and it worked pretty good. I quit smoking for almost a year with this."
Might want to start from the beginning and try to eliminate Viva Nova short comings, etc..
I would look at:
Best Mouth-to-Lung Tanks of 2017
My approach would be to tie down the equipment, then try to find a good nic juice combination.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I believe the first one I used was called US light from mfs (Supposed to be close to Marb light).
I tried at least 10-15 other tobacco flavors along the way, some were ok some were just bad but never found "the one". Any thoughts on juice would be great as well. I have never tried DIY juice and am not really sure where to even begin with that. Again, thank you all!

One thing that worked for me--I finally gave up tobacco flavors and stopped trying to find the juice that tasted just like a cigarette. And I tried hard.

I probably spent hundreds trying all manner of naturally extracted tobacco, whole tobacco alkaloids, tobacco flavors for DIY... all pointless.

Right now, I have about 15 tanks in use and not one of them has a tobacco flavor in it.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Thank you all for the advice! I really do appreciate all of the suggestions.
I will read up on all of these and put together a new setup. Yes, there are quite a few options available now but I saw the istick mentioned a few times and may be a good place to start for me. I know finding the right tank/juice is important as well so I may need to experiment a little with those. I now have a good idea of what to look for at least. I am more a fan of tobacco flavored juices than others and that is what helped me quit the first time.

Hi there! I recently stopped smoking and the juice I used and still do occasionally is Naked 100 Euro Gold. I was smoking Pall Mall Red 100s. It has just the right amount of throat hit plus smoothness. I only used a3% nicotine level based on how much I was smoking. You’ll have to determine & ask for suggestions on that to stop the nic cravings.

I liked the flavor so much that I was done smoking in 4 days!!! I used an Exceed D19 starter. Was perfect. Simple.

Good luck & keep coming back for support!!

Sara

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
If you want an experience similar to a pen with nore vapor I'd suggest the nautilus 2 tank amd whatever mod you fancy, nautilus is one of the best mtl tanks out there imo (mtl=mouth to lung, which is similar to how you'd smoke a cigarette). For the mod (or the case which has your batteries) it doesn't matter as much since most it does is provide power to your atomizer. I do not suggest beginners go the more advanced dtl way but ive seen a couple recommendations from the look of it. Again that's my opinion and you don't have to follow or agree with it.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread