Help with the proper way to measure Atty Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzt_19

Mar 24, 2011
PA
As the title states, I was wondering if anyone can tell me the proper ohm setting on a multimter to use when testing resistance in atty's. The reason I ask, is because the "regular" atomizers I bought with my e cigs are reading 6-7 ohms vs the 2.8-3.0 they were supposed to be.

I am testing them with the x1 ohm setting currently. Should I be using the x10 instead? Just to be clear I am using neg probe on threads and Positive probe in middle.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
The setting you use depends on your multimeter. Mine has settings for 20, 200, 2000, etc. I use the 20 ohm setting because it's the closest to what I need. It doesn't matter which probe goes one which contact point, it will measure the same either way. Before you start to measure an atty touch the probes together and note the reading. Measure the atty and subtract the reading from before and you should come up with a correct measurement.

Vissy

Mar 28, 2011
Chicago
the x1 x10 settings, whatever are for lower readings. You can get a really good Fluke© meter off ebay used or Amazon new under $50, other brands are fine, too. Just for ohm reading, any $10 crapola meter will work (buy a multipack of resistors from Radio Shack for 99 cents & see if its accurate). For settings of 6, 60, 600 like mine...if its set at "6" and the reading is 10 ohms, it will read "OL" (over limit). Setting to 60 will read "10.0" and setting to 600 will read just "10". Might want to get a manual online to see just exactly how your meter works.

Remember a lower resistance will mean higher current available (if same voltage) voltage = amps * ohms. watts = volts * amps

drizzt_19

Mar 24, 2011
PA
Thanks for the responses.

The main reason I wanted to be sure of how to test them, was due to buying from a "cheap" source. By cheap I'm talking 5 for $20. They work good, but I wanted to make sure I was getting what I paid for.I also wanted to be sure that my flashlight mod with a 18650 bat wouldn't burn em up, as they were for a standard 510 bat.

I'm still a greenhorn in this e-cig world, but hate to screw up something that works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread