help with vv mod please

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffertwo

Nov 6, 2014
somerset uk
Hi all this is my first post, i have been vaping a couple of months, i like to use 4xaa rechargeable s .I have built a few mods in the mint tins,and they work ok, but i would really like to make a vv mod.
i have searched loads of posts on here and just seem to confuse myself.

buck boosters? step downs? step ups? potts? all above my head , the more i read the more lost i get.
can someone please please in idiot proof terms point me in the right direction. as what to buy and how to put it together.
the 4xaa start out at 4.8 volts , so that would be the input i guess, so i would think i need a step down buck?
then an on and off switch and a volt display.
oh im from the UK so would like suppliers from there if poss. thanks all.
happy puffing:).

bob808

Dec 19, 2014
Romania
Well, using a simple battery setup means that you have the available voltage to work with. With VV/VW you can vary that voltage, or keep it constant, even if your battery supply is decreasing. That way you vape the same through the day. The electronics boost up/down the voltage of the battery as you set it.
A simple battery would have it's voltage decrease the more you use it that day. Past half of the day it isn't the same as when you started in the morning.
Electronics help counter that effect. They keep the working voltage stable by drawing more current from the battery.
If you wish to understand some more, learn Ohms Law. The battery has a certain voltage, the coil that burns the liquid has a certain resistance. From those two you can calculate the other two, power and current.
I guess you could diy your own battery mod. Given that you find adequate electronics. I think I saw a DNA30 pcb with display on sale somewhere...

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
If you're inputting 4.8 volts and vaping in the normal ranges most people do, you're going to want a buck/boost circuit of some sort. The boost outputs higher voltage than the battery input and the buck puts out lower. Since people vape as low as 3 volts all the way up, I think you'll want the combo. As far as chips go, most of the ones we deal with are designed for a 3.7v input, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to use an off-the-shelf vape chip like a DNA or an SX350. You may have to create your own or build a more complicated circuit.

Most of the people who are active in the modding boards here at ECF are using those vape chips. There's not a huge amount of info here on designing your own circuit. One of our veteran members, Breaktru, has his own modding message board that includes a lot of electrical engineers and circuit design gurus with good information on that, but it's all so far above my head I usually don't understand half of what they're saying. If you think you know enough about circuits to create your own for a variable mod with a little support, I'd check there. If not, I'd stick with the industry standard 3.7v batteries and build a DNA or SX350 device with 18650 or flat lipo batteries if you want a variable voltage device.

One other really big thing to watch out for. VV devices pull high current and they pretty much all need high drain batteries with good amp headroom in order to be safe. I don't know anything about the rechargeable AAs, but find out what their current limits are and do NOT use them for a variable mod if they can't handle the amperage. Pulling too much current from batteries that can't handle it while vaping is a good way to rearrange your face.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi all this is my first post, i have been vaping a couple of months, i like to use 4xaa rechargeable s .I have built a few mods in the mint tins,and they work ok, but i would really like to make a vv mod.
i have searched loads of posts on here and just seem to confuse myself.

buck boosters? step downs? step ups? potts? all above my head , the more i read the more lost i get.
can someone please please in idiot proof terms point me in the right direction. as what to buy and how to put it together.
the 4xaa start out at 4.8 volts , so that would be the input i guess, so i would think i need a step down buck?
then an on and off switch and a volt display.
oh im from the UK so would like suppliers from there if poss. thanks all.
happy puffing:).

One way to achieve vv is to use a vv kick module:
1646300-1.jpg

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10006524/1646300-variable-voltage-kick-module-for-mechanical-mod
It is designed to work inside an 18mm metal tube.

Or there is the vw kick module instead:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011166/1670801-authentic-sigelei-variable-wattage-kick-module

The input on those is 3.2 to 4.2 volts.

Another possibility is to get a vamo v5 pcb module; or more uptodate module such as dna30 or sx350 chip
1652300-2.jpg

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009230/1652300-vamo-v5-variable-voltage-wattage-mod-module
On alot of these chips the input has two options: regular 3.7 volt input or 7.4 volt input.

or maybe you want to look at some boost circuit chips:
https://www.fasttech.com/search?dc boost

puffertwo

Nov 6, 2014
somerset uk
Thanks for the help lads, things are a bit clearer now.
i looked at the vamo chip and some others , but living in the uk i might have to pay tax from USA.
seen a lot of buck chips on Amazon UK but not sure which to buy?
my rechargeable s are 1900mAh. im also looking into putting three in series which would give me 4 volts
then wiring them together with another three in parallel giving me almost 4000 mAh at 4 volts .
six xaa batteries . not sure if this would work???? thanks for any advice.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Thanks for the help lads, things are a bit clearer now.
i looked at the vamo chip and some others , but living in the uk i might have to pay tax from USA.
seen a lot of buck chips on Amazon UK but not sure which to buy?
my rechargeable s are 1900mAh. im also looking into putting three in series which would give me 4 volts
then wiring them together with another three in parallel giving me almost 4000 mAh at 4 volts .
six xaa batteries . not sure if this would work???? thanks for any advice.

What sort of batteries are "xaa?" Do you mean like AA household batteries?

Last edited:

puffertwo

Nov 6, 2014
somerset uk
cheers again lads, i have already built a few puck mods. now i want to build a vv one, the puck uses a chip board that is very hard if not impossible to find in the uk.
so i am looking to source another type from the uk , but not sure what i need . but you guys have made things a bit more understandable .
the reason i use NIMH s is i have quite a few of them plus the charger. thanks ,

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
OP, you're trying to design something pretty complex, and there aren't many people here who will know the ramifications of mixing parallel and serial connections with batteries we don't really use very much. You can ask about a vv nimh device on the modding fourms, but you're probably going to be better off talking to an engineer who does this kind of thing.

Last edited:

bob808

Dec 19, 2014
Romania
Plus the dna30 chip or the other one sx350 already have a display+software. I would use a 3.7V battery found in laptop batteries. They have usually 2000-2200mAh, and they are free. And they usually support a discharge current of 2C, meaning 2xtheir capacity. In the case of a 2200mAh battery that would mean it supports 4.4A discharge current.

if you google radioshack box mod you will find all the parts and part numbers from radioshack to build a box mod other then the 510 fitting you would need to actually place the tank or rda to your device. its a simple box case we sell for 10 dollars with a battery holder and a resister if you wanted to keep it basic. or buy a kick mod or a vv module off online and boom about 15 mins of building and youd be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread