Help with wicking issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

samslice

Sep 7, 2018
American Midwest
You can get Graham Cellucotton from Sally's or from Amazon and you need to make sure that you get the box that says 100% Rayon (they also make a 100% cotton version confusingly named... exactly the same thing.

If overwicking is your issue, you may find rayon easier to deal with, it shrinks when wet, and cotton swells.

Also, I'm one of those "More isn't less" people, so I really have to work to NOT overwick rayon even. Tight in the coil is good, and I have found I need drastically less wick than I think I needed.

You may have found your sweet spot with cotton by now, I'm just merely going to note that rayon also burns at a higher temperature, and lasts longer than cotton and can withstand higher wattage.

There's an entire thread on it if you are interested: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/rayon-wick-better-flow-flavor-longevity-and-nic-hit-pt-2.706948/page-152

Good luck,

Anna
Um, this info is fantastic! Thanks! I'm going to check that out and probably try it. I'm still running trial-and-mostly-error with cotton, though I think part of my problem be the amount of sucrose in my juice. I'm going to be trying erythritol sometime soon instead of sucrose.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I don't think he's a con man at all. I think his ideas just need to be fleshed out. Seems to me his focus is simply too narrow.
Everything he does is completely wrong. First all his graphics are computer generated examples of water flow under pressure. Air in a vacuum does not flow at all like water under pressure. Air in a vacuum also does not flow like air under pressure. His BS chamber is nowhere even close to scale. The slight changes in aiflow make big differences. Also in his BS chamber he doesn't take the affects of wicking into consideration. I stand by my original statement that Morten Oen is a con man that has no idea what he's talking about and he shouldn't be taken seriously. He's good to laugh at though.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Also, thanks for the tip on rayon. Do you use it and have a particular brand you prefer?
Its the Grahams brand box #44060 for the 500ft that can be easily found in a Sallys beauty supply(depending on where you live). I heard about this rayon few years ago and living in a small town...nearest Sallys was a 4 hour drive I went to all the local hairdressers to look for this box #44060. I found a hairdresser that used the 44060 box, explained what I wanted it for and she gave me a couple feet, never looked back after the first rayon wicked atty.
There are smaller sizes of the Grahams rayon but I'm not sure enough of the numbers, just the 44060.

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Its the Grahams brand box #44060 for the 500ft that can be easily found in a Sallys beauty supply(depending on where you live). I heard about this rayon few years ago and living in a small town...nearest Sallys was a 4 hour drive I went to all the local hairdressers to look for this box #44060. I found a hairdresser that used the 44060 box, explained what I wanted it for and she gave me a couple feet, never looked back after the first rayon wicked atty.
There are smaller sizes of the Grahams rayon but I'm not sure enough of the numbers, just the 44060.

That's all I use anymore. I picked up a 44060 box at Sally's for right around $15.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca

samslice

Sep 7, 2018
American Midwest
Y'all. Dayum.
Wicked with rayon this afternoon and I'm loving it so far. The flavor is cleaner than the cotton I was using (Cotton King), and I've never seen such dense clouds come out of my face-hole. Plus, the 44060 box cost me about the same as 2 packages of the Cotton King. It's wicking my 75/25 juice with zero problems (oops batch, I normally make juice at 70/30). The only thing I'm waiting to see is how quickly it starts to break down and need replacing.

To everyone who suggested rayon. Thank you.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Y'all. Dayum.
Wicked with rayon this afternoon and I'm loving it so far. The flavor is cleaner than the cotton I was using (Cotton King), and I've never seen such dense clouds come out of my face-hole. Plus, the 44060 box cost me about the same as 2 packages of the Cotton King. It's wicking my 75/25 juice with zero problems (oops batch, I normally make juice at 70/30). The only thing I'm waiting to see is how quickly it starts to break down and need replacing.

May I suggest that if you start to taste a slightly burnt taste immediately stop, do a couple of puffs without hitting the power button(to wick juice back into coil) lower the wattage, and work it up from there slowly putting the wattage back to where you had it. Can save the wick and coil if you don't try to continue vaping it when you taste the burnt. Works for me. lol

:)

samslice

Sep 7, 2018
American Midwest
May I suggest that if you start to taste a slightly burnt taste immediately stop, do a couple of puffs without hitting the power button(to wick juice back into coil) lower the wattage, and work it up from there slowly putting the wattage back to where you had it. Can save the wick and coil if you don't try to continue vaping it when you taste the burnt. Works for me. lol

:)
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've been trying to notice when it starts feeling dry and hit the squonk to juice up so it doesn't actually dry hit.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've been trying to notice when it starts feeling dry and hit the squonk to juice up so it doesn't actually dry hit.
Oh heck no! Do not get a dry hit with rayon. It is EXTREMELY HORRIBLE! When I'm in the car or out and about I squonk. At work I drip or squonk. At home I mostly drip. Once you get a dry hit on rayon you'll wish you hadn't. I speak from experience. It's usually when I think just one more hit and I'll drip again. NOPE! Don't do it. Just drip or squonk.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Y'all. Dayum.

Rayon will last longer than cotton, at least mine does...but...my coils still get gunked up at the same rate as with cotton, so I have to remove the rayon wick to dry burn at the same frequency as when I use cotton.

Still, the performance and flavor of rayon is fantastic.

samslice

Sep 7, 2018
American Midwest
Rayon will last longer than cotton, at least mine does...but...my coils still get gunked up at the same rate as with cotton, so I have to remove the rayon wick to dry burn at the same frequency as when I use cotton.

Still, the performance and flavor of rayon is fantastic.
You're absolutely right. The Rayon does hold up somewhat better, but the real culprit is, I've learned, my juice. It's a DIY with sucralose sweetener, and that's what's gunking up the works. I've got a test batch steeping right now with Erythritol instead of Sucralose. I've already done some testing with a previous batch and it doesn't gunk at all. At this point, I'm just trying to find the optimal steep time, and then my wicking woes will be no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread