Hi All, Newbie Here From Northern Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,, so I recently had a heart attack and 2 stents put in,, I know I have to quit smoking but I am struggling with this, it's so much harder than I thought.

After doing some research on all the different ways to quit,, I decided that I believe vaping will truly help me finally break the cigarette habit.

I joined this site in hope to get some advice on how to get started with vaping. There seems to be so many different types of devices, juices, accessories,, it's just so overwhelming for a newbie.

I am looking for an easy to use starter kit, preferably a pen with a charger that doesn't have a bunch of different components to put it together, I don't want nicotine, just a light fruity taste, easy to refill with different types of juices, something that is re chargeable, not a throw away, something that is larger than a regular cigarette, but no so large that it's heavy to hold, something that I can easily travel with and looks elegant.

Anyways, nice to meet you all, glad to have found this site and hope to get some great advice and ideas on how to go about starting out new to vaping.

Thanks for listening and have a great day.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Hi everyone,, so I recently had a heart attack and 2 stents put in,, I know I have to quit smoking but I am struggling with this, it's so much harder than I thought.

After doing some research on all the different ways to quit,, I decided that I believe vaping will truly help me finally break the cigarette habit.

I joined this site in hope to get some advice on how to get started with vaping. There seems to be so many different types of devices, juices, accessories,, it's just so overwhelming for a newbie.

I am looking for an easy to use starter kit, preferably a pen with a charger that doesn't have a bunch of different components to put it together, I don't want nicotine, just a light fruity taste, easy to refill with different types of juices, something that is re chargeable, not a throw away, something that is larger than a regular cigarette, but no so large that it's heavy to hold, something that I can easily travel with and looks elegant.

Anyways, nice to meet you all, glad to have found this site and hope to get some great advice and ideas on how to go about starting out new to vaping.

The nice thing about vaping in terms of quitting is that you can taper the the nic level down thereby weening yourself off of nicotine. Then of course you have to deal with the other addictive aspects (and-to-mouth addiction, etc), which seems to be a bigger addiction for most smokers than nicotine, but at least you can ween yourself off nicotine.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

Welcome to ECF. Transitioning from smoking 2PAD to vaping was easy for me in a short time. I still smoked a few a day for about 3 months, then finished the last pack and never bought another. It's been over ten years vaping and I've never even wanted to smoke again. Nicotine in your vape will help you transition off the cigs. I went from 24mg juice to 3mg juice in the first year.

You may be one who can drop the nic and not miss it, but most of us still use nic in our vape. It's easier if you do that and slowly drop the nic level over time. It's all the other stuff in cigarettes that were bad for you. Nicotine isn't the worst habit you could have. It's easier to taper down for a period before quitting nic completely.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: HigherStateD

CAAB

ECF Veteran
    Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    Hi Northern Gal,

Sorry to hear about health issues. Glad you are kicking the habit.

Regarding devices, you will probably want to start with something simple, just single button operation. There are plenty of all in one kits (AIO) or pod systems you could consider. You will probably want to go a lot on what looks good for your personal tastes. A lot of these devices work just fine. You can always ask on this forum about a specific device.

You will probably want to avoid anything with a screen if you want to start simple. A lot of the fancy features you see are to control how hot your vape is or how big your clouds are. You probably don't need to get super involved with that at first. Just get something with a circuit that is protected. Don't get a mechanical mod, or something unprotected, you'll want to avoid it as a beginner, as that takes a lot of advanced knowledge.

The only thing you need to know is that the lower the ohm a coil is, the hotter the vape and the bigger the clouds. So a lot of times when you buy the coils for your AIO or pod, it will say 1.2 ohm or .5 ohm or whatever. They aren't going to give you anything that isn't safe for the device, so just buy a few different types of ohm coils to get you started. A lot of times these AIO kits will include a few different types anyway.

The other thing to know is airflow. Some devices let you control airflow. So if you are used to cigarettes, you probably want something that allows an adjustable airflow, that way you can make it tight. When you see people chucking big clouds, thats usually a low ohm coil and a very open air draw, they breath in like they are breathing air. That's not really what cigarettes are like.

Anyway, with that adjustable airflow, you can decide what you like.

Whatever you buy, just read the owner manual to make sure you are vaping safely. If you get something with an external battery that you install, then you need to read about battery safety.

All this other stuff you see out there, like rebuildable atomizers, variable wattage, all those other terms, that's if you get really interested and want to control your vape more. You can always branch out if you find you enjoy vaping. That said, there are risks involved when you start branching out and you have to read into what you are doing, especially if you are building your own coils.

Regarding the e-liquid, I personally like Kai Virgin Vapors, they use organic ingredients and such, but really, there are so many options out there. I suggest trying at 0 nicotine. But if the cravings are coming on and your body can tolerate nicotine, then you might want to bump up to 3mg/ml nicotine in your eliquid. That said, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, so if your doctor says no nicotine, or your condition warrants no nicotine, well then that's that. Better to go cold turkey than dying...

Anyway, that's my two cents. Best of luck!

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Welocome to ECF, Northern Gal, so sorry about your heart problems. I think you might enjoy a simple and user friendly pod or all-in-one device, at least for starters.

Two good ones are Innokin Sceptre or maybe JustFog Minifit. They are both plug-and-play devices and inexpensive--charge, fill the pod, and vape. At least for starters. You'll have to get some eliquid to fill your pods, of course.

I suggest you watch some reviews on YouTube to learn how to use them.

Good luck!

Last edited:
    • Informative

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    Welcome! Sorry bout your health, but glad your making changes! I hope you find your elegant unicorn device, but my advice, treat this as a journey, not a destination. What may work in the beginning, will most likely not sustain through the long term.

There are plenty of great options, too many to not be overwhelming for the newcomers, as you've discovered, but one day, like me, you'll find the "little black dress" of vapes to complete your ensemble.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my hands on a "vicious ant spade" myself...

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    easy to use starter kit
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    Would not worry about "easy to use" and giving up smoking. You have to do the work up front in order to be successful (If money is not a huge concern, just buy a popular readily available pod to tied you over),chance are whatever you first buy will only be temporary and you will grow out of it. Suggest you read everything you can get your hands on about vaping before you invest in a good set up.
    The information below may help you to obtain a good foundation of vaping knowledge.
    How To Vape: An Ultimate Guide Focusing on Basics for Beginners
    Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
    Learn What Vaping is and How to Inhale Properly (Vaping 101)
    2015: The Art of the Drip - A Dripping Primer | Spinfuel VAPE
    ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
    Beginner Archives - Guide To Vaping
    6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
    (10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
    (1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

The nice thing about vaping in terms of quitting is that you can taper the the nic level down thereby weening yourself off of nicotine. Then of course you have to deal with the other addictive aspects (and-to-mouth addiction, etc), which seems to be a bigger addiction for most smokers than nicotine, but at least you can ween yourself off nicotine.
    Thanks for the advice, I will go ahead and get nicotine at first then wean myself down.

Welcome to ECF. Transitioning from smoking 2PAD to vaping was easy for me in a short time. I still smoked a few a day for about 3 months, then finished the last pack and never bought another. It's been over ten years vaping and I've never even wanted to smoke again. Nicotine in your vape will help you transition off the cigs. I went from 24mg juice to 3mg juice in the first year.

You may be one who can drop the nic and not miss it, but most of us still use nic in our vape. It's easier if you do that and slowly drop the nic level over time. It's all the other stuff in cigarettes that were bad for you. Nicotine isn't the worst habit you could have. It's easier to taper down for a period before quitting nic completely.
    g

Thanks, it's great to hear a success story on quitting smoking., I am going to get juice with nicotine at first.

Hi Northern Gal,

Sorry to hear about health issues. Glad you are kicking the habit.

Regarding devices, you will probably want to start with something simple, just single button operation. There are plenty of all in one kits (AIO) or pod systems you could consider. You will probably want to go a lot on what looks good for your personal tastes. A lot of these devices work just fine. You can always ask on this forum about a specific device.

You will probably want to avoid anything with a screen if you want to start simple. A lot of the fancy features you see are to control how hot your vape is or how big your clouds are. You probably don't need to get super involved with that at first. Just get something with a circuit that is protected. Don't get a mechanical mod, or something unprotected, you'll want to avoid it as a beginner, as that takes a lot of advanced knowledge.

The only thing you need to know is that the lower the ohm a coil is, the hotter the vape and the bigger the clouds. So a lot of times when you buy the coils for your AIO or pod, it will say 1.2 ohm or .5 ohm or whatever. They aren't going to give you anything that isn't safe for the device, so just buy a few different types of ohm coils to get you started. A lot of times these AIO kits will include a few different types anyway.

The other thing to know is airflow. Some devices let you control airflow. So if you are used to cigarettes, you probably want something that allows an adjustable airflow, that way you can make it tight. When you see people chucking big clouds, thats usually a low ohm coil and a very open air draw, they breath in like they are breathing air. That's not really what cigarettes are like.

Anyway, with that adjustable airflow, you can decide what you like.

Whatever you buy, just read the owner manual to make sure you are vaping safely. If you get something with an external battery that you install, then you need to read about battery safety.

All this other stuff you see out there, like rebuildable atomizers, variable wattage, all those other terms, that's if you get really interested and want to control your vape more. You can always branch out if you find you enjoy vaping. That said, there are risks involved when you start branching out and you have to read into what you are doing, especially if you are building your own coils.

Regarding the e-liquid, I personally like Kai Virgin Vapors, they use organic ingredients and such, but really, there are so many options out there. I suggest trying at 0 nicotine. But if the cravings are coming on and your body can tolerate nicotine, then you might want to bump up to 3mg/ml nicotine in your eliquid. That said, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, so if your doctor says no nicotine, or your condition warrants no nicotine, well then that's that. Better to go cold turkey than dying...

Anyway, that's my two cents. Best of luck!
    Thank you so much for all of this detailed information, I have learned so much just from reading your post.

Welocome to ECF, Northern Gal, so sorry about your heart problems. I think you might enjoy a simple and user friendly pod or all-in-one device, at least for starters.

Two good ones are Innokin Sceptre or maybe JustFog Minifit. They are both plug-and-play devices and inexpensive--charge, fill the pod, and vape. At least for starters. You'll have to get some eliquid to fill your pods, of course.

I suggest you watch some reviews on YouTube to learn how to use them.

Good luck!
    Thank you for your input and suggestions, I will be doing some more research today, hopefully find something to get started with.

Reactions: Katya
    Welcome! Sorry bout your health, but glad your making changes! I hope you find your elegant unicorn device, but my advice, treat this as a journey, not a destination. What may work in the beginning, will most likely not sustain through the long term.

There are plenty of great options, too many to not be overwhelming for the newcomers, as you've discovered, but one day, like me, you'll find the "little black dress" of vapes to complete your ensemble.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my hands on a "vicious ant spade" myself...
    Thanks, I will start out slow and experiment with a few different types.

• Winner
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    Would not worry about "easy to use" and giving up smoking. You have to do the work up front in order to be successful (If money is not a huge concern, just buy a popular readily available pod to tied you over),chance are whatever you first buy will only be temporary and you will grow out of it. Suggest you read everything you can get your hands on about vaping before you invest in a good set up.
    The information below may help you to obtain a good foundation of vaping knowledge.
    How To Vape: An Ultimate Guide Focusing on Basics for Beginners
    Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
    Learn What Vaping is and How to Inhale Properly (Vaping 101)
    2015: The Art of the Drip - A Dripping Primer | Spinfuel VAPE
    ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
    Beginner Archives - Guide To Vaping
    6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
    (10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
    (1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum
    Thank you so much for all the resources listed, I have been reviewing them,, should keep me busy for awhile :)

I have done some looking into different types and have a few questions, not sure if I do this in here or a different forum.

Just wanted to say, hubby is on board with me,, we both did some research and made a purchase today.

We got 2 of this: Evod 4 In 1 vape pen, since I have multiple health issues, I do prefer cbd and hubby is 420 friendly so I think this might be a good starter for us both to kick the cigarette habit too.

Also got a bunch of samples to try, different levels of nicotine,, etch

• Optimistic
    Reactions: CAAB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread