Status
Not open for further replies.

laurie9300

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney Australia
+++ PERSONAL HISTORY +++

I am male, from Sydney Australia and turn 50 this year. I am a Supervisor in the Manufacturing Industry in Sydney. I started smoking when I was about 12 and was a packet a day smoker for over 30 years. Both my parents smoked all through my childhood, my first smokes were stolen from them. My Father gave up smoking after a heart attack in the early eighties, but my Mother never managed to. She died from Emphysema in 2003.

+++ MY vaping JOURNEY +++

My vaping Journey started at a local Markets one Saturday about 2 years ago. I noticed a stall selling, what I now know to be cig-a-likes or 1st generation devices. I am very much a "Tech Head" and an "electronic cigarette" appealed to me on many levels. I purchased one and it was not cheap at $50. I was instantly converted and gave up smoking almost immediately - for a while. I was soon disillusioned, the battery in this thing would only last a couple of hours, and it seemed to take longer than that to charge! The cartridges were another hassle, they only last half a dozen puffs and were difficult and messy to refill. Then my battery stopped re-charging at all and I decided that smokes were a much easier option. I never gave e-cigarettes another thought until I went on holiday to Hawai'i in 2013. I saw many people in Hawai'i using a much larger device which sparked my curiosity. I wrongly decided to hold off buying in Hawai'i due to the whole 110v-240v thing but was intent on doing some research after returning to Australia.

After returning to Australia I hit Google and found AVF (AussieVapersForum where I am now an active member). I lurked there for a few weeks, doing my research before ordering an iTaste VV/VW V3 starter kit (a 3rd generation device), and some pre-mixed e-liquid. I started Vaping on 6/8/2013, stopped smoking completely on 10/8/2013 and have never looked back. Whats more it was easy - very easy (for me).

If this was the only equipment available, I am sure I would be quite satisfied. But it's not! It wasn't long before I got curious about 2nd generation devices, a new world of Mechanical Mods, RDAs, RBAs, Kayfuns and Gennies! Soon, my new found disposable income was being consumed by, what had now become, my new hobby. Thankfully my new addiction to vaping gear has calmed down a bit. I am now moving slowly back to 3rd generation devices, they are just a bit more "high end".

It was not long after I stopped smoking that I saw the changes happening. First I got my sense of taste and smell back, that was quite a shock! Then I noticed that when I went to bed I was no longer wheezing. I no longer feel like I'm going to pass out after walking up a steep hill. I have not had a cold or the flu (touch wood). I have not felt this well since I can remember!

+++ WHY ECF +++

I have been lurking here for a few months now, and have enjoyed staying in touch with what is happening on the other side of the World. I also enjoy coiling and would really like to start modding so I have been watching the latest builds (of both kinds) with great interest. I have decided to stop lurking and start posting, mainly so I can get verified and take a peak in the Classifieds! I thought it rude to contemplate that before at least introducing myself!

Thanks for listening
Laurie (Sydney's Western Suburbs)

laurie9300

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney Australia
Hi Laurie! And welcome to the ECF. Your story is similar to mine in the sense that I started around 12 years old, chewing tobacco that is. I started sneaking it from my dad who has chewed all his life (since 12 or 13 years old).

Welcome to the club!

Welcome!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!

Welcome to ecf!

Hi Laurie! Welcome to the forum and congrats on ditching the cigs. Vape on. :vapor:

Nice intro. Welcome to the forums, I am jealous though i've always wanted to go to Australia

laurie9300

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney Australia
Woohoo, I just got told my Gi2 is in the country and I should have it in my hand next week! THIS should be interesting!

GI2_1024x1024.JPG

Last edited:

laurie9300

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney Australia
Welcome to the family Laurie. Sorry to hear that about your Mom. My Dad died of the same thing Emphysema and it wasn't a pretty thing to see. Very nice story you have there Mate and I'm glad you are another success story. Keep up the great job and many years of happy Vaping Mate!!:vapor:

Thanks for the welcome Seattle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread