Hi, signed up to revive an old thread with no resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluffypopplecrack

Apr 10, 2018
I read a thread about sensitivities causing physical reactions (bags under eyes, rash etc..).
Titled: vaping - I am about to give up due to sensativities/reactions
I am having issues similar to the original poster and am looking for resolutions. The thread is closed for further replies, but the issue did not seem resolved.

So, bags under my eyes, pale skin around the eye sockets (like some people have when they experience a hangover), head feels cloudy.
The symptoms are unlike anything I have experienced with myself before.
Some context:
Quit smoking and started vaping pre made 6mg 50/50 juices, all was fine.
Made my own juices, had one intense aroma (bigmouth I believe) that gave me headaches.
Started to notice tiredness/drowsiness with all juices since then (probably not related, but I'll just give the details as I recall them, who knows).
Bags appeared and got worse over time. Even wrinkles under eyes, like my skin was drained from fluids. Went back to smoking, bags disappeared.
Tried again couple of months later , instant return of symptoms.
Not a huge smoker, depending on the situation, 15, to 5 to 1 to none a day.
Also happens when not fully replacing smoking.

What I have done so far:
Allergy tests. Negative. Also no reaction when in touch with eliquids (I work in a vapeshop...)
Anaemia test. Negative.
Pure vg with and without nic., pure pg with and without nic., same issues in both cases.
Different mods, different tanks.

What I am about to try:
Experiments with ss mesh wicking.

Does anyone here have experience with similar issues?
Could it be some rare reaction to inhaling microfiber of cotton (even though I where and thus breathe cotton fibre without issues).
Reactions to metals?
Suggestions for options/combinations of different elements?
It seems so unlikely that it is just the act of inhaling vapor in general. (Should have similar reactions when taking a hot shower I reckon).
Any alternatives for vg/pg?
I am at a loss.

Thanks for your reactions in advance!

Reactions: stols001

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
You should continue to work with a medical professional to diagnose your issue. If you've been tested for allergies and and everything is negative, and have let juice soak into your skin with no ill effect, i see three possibilities... Nicotine overdose (but you tried 0 nic), withdrawal from all the chemicals in cigs, or perhaps lack of oxygen to the brain.... Cut back :) If it's not working for you, you should likely not continue vaping as you are now, perhaps you need a different tank. Do you do direct lung or mouth to lung? Vaping is not an amazing win for everyone but it is right for many.

Fluffypopplecrack

Apr 10, 2018
Thanks for the reply.
It couldn't be the drawback cigs as I have kept up my smoking alongside vaping. It is a clear reaction to vaping as it only happens when I vape, not when I stop smoking.
Tried DL and MTL, It has an effect after one puff already. If it is not for me than so be it, but it has a cause somewhere. Since no nic PG or VG exclusively doesn't make a difference I reckon it is somewhere else. (as you can see I'm going Sherlock on this...)

Thanks nevertheless!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I read a thread about sensitivities causing physical reactions (bags under eyes, rash etc..).
Titled: Vaping - I am about to give up due to sensativities/reactions
I am having issues similar to the original poster and am looking for resolutions. The thread is closed for further replies, but the issue did not seem resolved.

So, bags under my eyes, pale skin around the eye sockets (like some people have when they experience a hangover), head feels cloudy.
Some context:
Made my own juices, had one intense aroma (bigmouth I believe) that gave me headaches.
Started to notice tiredness/drowsiness with all juices since then (probably not related, but I'll just give the details as I recall them, who knows).
Bags appeared and got worse over time. Even wrinkles under eyes, like my skin was drained from fluids. Went back to smoking, bags disappeared.

What I have done so far:
Allergy tests. Negative. Also no reaction when in touch with eliquids (I work in a vapeshop...)
Anaemia test. Negative.
Pure vg with and without nic., pure pg with and without nic., same issues in both cases.

What I am about to try:

Could it be some rare reaction to inhaling microfiber of cotton (even though I where and thus breathe cotton fibre without issues).
Reactions to metals?
It seems so unlikely that it is just the act of inhaling vapor in general. (Should have similar reactions when taking a hot shower I reckon).
I am at a loss.

I wouldn't think it would be a reaction to metals off the top of my head because I have metal allergies, the only jewelry I can wear is minimum of 18k gold or platinum.. anything else - even silver - breaks me out in hives (I cant even wear a watch) yet I can vape without difficulty..

Of course everyone is different so it doesn't hurt to try everything - even try who your getting your wicking material from (different brands) as there could be an additive that one manufacturer uses that your allergic to..

But keep talking to your doctor about it for sure..

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Do the symptoms go away if you are still vaping but in the vape shop? It's just that I'd imagine that you'd have a fair amount of contact with VG and PG and etc. If you build coils or help vapers with their equipment, you will be touching their rigs and etc.

If not, I really have trouble offering a solution. It may be psychosomatic. I suppose you could be allergic to a metal or something, but I still don't see how that's going to cause "bags under the eyes" which is a new one for me.

I'd say (for your own peace of mind) get allergy testing on metals, and bring the metals you actually use, as it's not uncommon for various wires to have various impurities in them etc.

IDK. This doesn't really sound like a vaping issue to me, but you have to go by your own experience. Maybe try Swedish snuff to eliminate cigarettes if you can't tolerate vaping, as it sounds like you don't smoke that much, and you may be able to transition away from cigarettes completely and eventually getting rid of the snus completely as you adjust to not smoking and etc. It's really all I have to offer, as it sounds like vaping is "not good" for you so until you get it figured out, don't vape.

Anna

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

Might've read wrong, but you were symptom free when vaping premade juices? Tried going back exclusively to them again? Just wonder if its a sensitivity in handling flavouring concentrates

Fluffypopplecrack

Apr 10, 2018
    Do the symptoms go away if you are still vaping but in the vape shop? It's just that I'd imagine that you'd have a fair amount of contact with VG and PG and etc. If you build coils or help vapers with their equipment, you will be touching their rigs and etc.

If not, I really have trouble offering a solution. It may be psychosomatic. I suppose you could be allergic to a metal or something, but I still don't see how that's going to cause "bags under the eyes" which is a new one for me.

I'd say (for your own peace of mind) get allergy testing on metals, and bring the metals you actually use, as it's not uncommon for various wires to have various impurities in them etc.

IDK. This doesn't really sound like a vaping issue to me, but you have to go by your own experience. Maybe try Swedish snuff to eliminate cigarettes if you can't tolerate vaping, as it sounds like you don't smoke that much, and you may be able to transition away from cigarettes completely and eventually getting rid of the snus completely as you adjust to not smoking and etc. It's really all I have to offer, as it sounds like vaping is "not good" for you so until you get it figured out, don't vape.

Anna
    Thanks Anna.
    I don't vape in the shop cause when I do I look like shyt (as opposed to stunning) and that's commercially unfortunate.
    And let's not assume I'm a head case just yet, plenty of time for that later.
    For the allergies part, yeah, absolutely, working on it. First going to see a lung physician to check if weird stuff (e.g. neglected infection, who knows) is triggered by the act of inhaling these amounts of vapor. Smoke could be sedating infections, vapor might just pepper them up.
    In the mean time trying to eliminate all the different vaping elements in turn so I can maybe pinpoint the problem that way.
    Nevertheless I figured it as a vaping issue as it only happens when I vape. ;-)

The original poster seemed to have quite similar issues but the thread got closed before any conclusion was made.
    I understand of course that stopping something that makes you react negatively makes sense, but in general, vaping is relatively new and more and more people are picking it up, if this crap happens to us, chances are it happens to other people.
    Now my general practitioner pretty much had no clue and said I should just stop this vaping nonsense.
    That's not very satisfactory...
    So let's turn me into a subject and for the sake of argument treat the symptoms as a possible negative result of vaping.
    I think it is important to take bad experiences seriously and figure out what is really going on.

All that being said: Any insight on what in the realm of physics, chemistry and biology could be causing these symptoms would be helpful to the issue.
    Anyone?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Titled: Vaping - I am about to give up due to sensativities/reactions

Some context:

What I have done so far:
    Anaemia test. Negative.

What I am about to try:

Reactions to metals?
    I am at a loss.

are you drinking additional fluids when you vape? Everyone really should as vaping(pg and vg) do tend to dry out our mucous membranes. The additional drinking of fluids will accomplish several things.
    1. Make the vape more enjoyable
    2. Flush the body of unwanted toxins from smoking cigarettes.
    3. Replenish the fluids that vaping uses.

Let us know if this helps a little

:)

Fluffypopplecrack

Apr 10, 2018
    Might've read wrong, but you were symptom free when vaping premade juices? Tried going back exclusively to them again? Just wonder if its a sensitivity in handling flavouring concentrates

Yes, figured it as a possible personal mess up as well, but no, it seems to be the act of vaping any juice so far.
    Including pure no nic pg, pure no nic vg. Same results.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Yes, figured it as a possible personal mess up as well, but no, it seems to be the act of vaping any juice so far.
    Including pure no nic pg, pure no nic vg. Same results.
    PEG 400 can be used as an alternate to PG.

Fluffypopplecrack

Apr 10, 2018
    are you drinking additional fluids when you vape? Everyone really should as vaping(pg and vg) do tend to dry out our mucous membranes. The additional drinking of fluids will accomplish several things.
    1. Make the vape more enjoyable
    2. Flush the body of unwanted toxins from smoking cigarettes.
    3. Replenish the fluids that vaping uses.

Let us know if this helps a little

Thanks for the reply!
    Yes, I know. I might by extra turbo sensitive and just need to drink ridiculous amounts. I tried drinking a lot (of water) while vaping but maybe I should make it a more serious endeavor and really go for it. Just for the sake of experiment. Tomorrow after work I'll give it a go. (I'm not even joking, although it triggers the imagination no?)

Fluffypopplecrack

Apr 10, 2018
    I wouldn't think it would be a reaction to metals off the top of my head because I have metal allergies, the only jewelry I can wear is minimum of 18k gold or platinum.. anything else - even silver - breaks me out in hives (I cant even wear a watch) yet I can vape without difficulty..

Of course everyone is different so it doesn't hurt to try everything - even try who your getting your wicking material from (different brands) as there could be an additive that one manufacturer uses that your allergic to..

But keep talking to your doctor about it for sure..
    I agree with AngeNZ's observation. You may have bad nic concentrate, bad/old pg & vg for your diy supply.
    Djees I wish it was that simple. Thanks anyway!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread