Hi - USB Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfterI

Jun 8, 2014
Watermelon
Hey everybody, this is my first post on this forum and I just want to tell everyone of you a big HI and Thank you for all the information you put on this forum. I read all kind of stuff that helped me in making my vaping more enjoyable.

So I finally signed up! The reason is that I want to make a project which depends entirely on a stable power source without any batteries.

My idea is to have a USB cable that goes inside a cylinder just like a mod and inside of this I am thinking of having a VW circuit but I have no idea how to do it and I can't seem to find anything like that on the internet or on this forum. If you know of anything that can help me please reply to my thread I would really appreciate it! Thanks. :)

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Provari has that.

Because spending close to $300 for a ready-made solution that uses 5-year-old power-regulation technology, has a VERY cobbled-together look, and is large, clunky, and doesn't meet the actual specs of the OP's wishes is SOOOOO much more elegant a solution than a well-crafted DIY, one-of-a-kind mod, and would give the owner SOOOOO much more satisfaction than building his own mod... o_O

AfterI

Jun 8, 2014
Watermelon
Welcome to the forums, look into the dna 20/30 and wire it up as passthrough into a USB cable.

Evolv LLC - Shop Now
Because spending close to $300 for a ready-made solution that uses 5-year-old power-regulation technology, has a VERY cobbled-together look, and is large, clunky, and doesn't meet the actual specs of the OP's wishes is SOOOOO much more elegant a solution than a well-crafted DIY, one-of-a-kind mod, and would give the owner SOOOOO much more satisfaction than building his own mod... o_O

Sthur: Hey! Thank you :) Wow this is perfect but do you think theres a way to regulate the input voltage from 5 volts that a typical USB has to 3.2 -4.3v?

StereoDreamer: So do you think I should buy a ready made one or should I make one myself?

sneakerpimp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
The O.C.
this is my daily and it's nothing short of awesome...

14374422712_fe7452f720_z.jpg

something slightly larger and more mod-like would be a welcome idea... but the price has to be right. these ego's go for around ten bucks.

AfterI

Jun 8, 2014
Watermelon
Hey guys! Thank you so much for replying so fast. I've been threw every post you made me with your ideas and everyone of them are absolutely fantastic! But there is one thing that fascinated me, the DNA30D. Well I know it's rare to get this but I think it's worth the while. You can check out the Hana mods to see an example of it.

Haha, started from wanting a USB Passthrough and ended with something totally different the "DNA30D". I will keep you posted with my Project! (If I remember) haha. :)

Thank you very much again, you have been so much help to me!

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA

As a DIYer myself I have to agree with this ^^^^ I have programing skills as I make my Own RC Receivers and Transmitters for 1/72 scale RC planes. With all the Arduino gear out now you wont have to learn C+ like I did. I Have been playing around with the arduino gear for a little bit and its easy anyone can use it there are tons off add-ons, once you have the language down you can find a chip, engineer the circuitry around it and your good to go. I use Pic micro and Atmel chips for my stuff Had to make the programmers and adaptors for different chips so it can be a great deal of work but its extremely rewarding.

Singaw

May 21, 2014
ComVal, Philippines
Trying to run a vape setup using only USB would be quite difficult because the USB port should only supply at the most 500ma. You would probably need at least 2 amps to get a half decent vape. That's why most pass-thru's have a battery and actually the power is coming off the battery while the USB is only charging the battery. I have the EGO VV pass-thru as pictured in sneakerpimps's post and the manufacturer recommends using a wall wart with a minimum of 2 amps, I use my iPads 14w 2.4amp charger. Good luck with your project.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
Trying to run a vape setup using only USB would be quite difficult because the USB port should only supply at the most 500ma. You would probably need at least 2 amps to get a half decent vape. That's why most pass-thru's have a battery and actually the power is coming off the battery while the USB is only charging the battery. I have the EGO VV pass-thru as pictured in sneakerpimps's post and the manufacturer recommends using a wall wart with a minimum of 2 amps, I use my iPads 14w 2.4amp charger. Good luck with your project.

Yeah, this has been done already, I have one. USB 2 ports are only 500 ma, some USB 3's will get you 2 A, but that isn't nearly enough to power a DNA device. At 2 A, you can power the basic clearos and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread