USB passthrough mod question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosciss

Jan 24, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Hi again. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help. Money is real tight right now and I am considering making my own pass through for my 510 and or my kr808 adapter and cartos.

If I make a usb pass through for my standard 510, can I leave it at 5v, or will I have to drop the voltage. I am worried about burning up my attys (I only have 2). Same question for the 808 cartos.

I saw a thread (can’t find now) where someone used a male RCA plug to connect directly to the atty without an adapter. From the couple of pic’s that they had posted I couldn’t tell exactly how they did it. You could see that it just pushed on. The tabs on the side of the rca plug just griped the threads of the atty.

I have plenty of usb cables and rca plugs, so if this is possible (at the usb 5v) I could make one right now for free (with your help)

Here is a link to my first post with my ecig history ( all 4 days) if it helps you.
.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/67036-hi-introducing-myself-cosciss.html

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Hi again. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help. Money is real tight right now and I am considering making my own pass through for my 510 and or my kr808 adapter and cartos.

If I make a usb pass through for my standard 510, can I leave it at 5v, or will I have to drop the voltage. I am worried about burning up my attys (I only have 2). Same question for the 808 cartos.

I saw a thread (can’t find now) where someone used a male RCA plug to connect directly to the atty without an adapter. From the couple of pic’s that they had posted I couldn’t tell exactly how they did it. You could see that it just pushed on. The tabs on the side of the rca plug just griped the threads of the atty.

I have plenty of usb cables and rca plugs, so if this is possible (at the usb 5v) I could make one right now for free (with your help)

Here is a link to my first post with my ecig history ( all 4 days) if it helps you.
.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/67036-hi-introducing-myself-cosciss.html

I don't know about how one would actually build a 510 PT, but the normal attys do tend to get burned up faster at 5V. NHaler sells high voltage attys.

I would look in the batt-mod forum: Battery Mods - E-Cigarette Forum

or the Joye 510 forum: Joye 510 - E-Cigarette Forum

or the experimental forum: Experiments with equipment - E-Cigarette Forum

I would also recommend getting more attys, especially if you plan to experiment. Always good to have backups, as you never know when they will die.

Good luck, and let us know how you do! I for one would like to build a PT at some point.

Dfib

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
LaX, WI
I built a home made PT last week for my 510.

Parts list:

4" 1/2 copper pipe cut into 2 pieces
2 1/2 copper caps
1 1/2 x 1/2 x 3/8 copper "T"
1 3amp button switch (radio shack) not sure the part # but the flange is big enough it doesn't fit through the 3/8 side of the tee
1 510 adapter (madvapes.com)
1 old camera usb cord
3" piece of insulated wire

Proceedure

11/32 hole drilled in 1 cap
Hole in other cap to match size of usb cable
Cut non-computer end off usb cable and strip red and black wires (can leave the other two wires)
Solder insulated wire to center pin of adapter
Place adapter in 11/32 hole in cap secure with 1 drop of solder
Place 1 2" piece of copper in between cap and tee. feed wire from adapter out the 3/8" opening of the tee.
Feed stripped usb cable into the other cap/2" copper and bring the red wire up the 3/8 opening
Solder insulated wire to one side of switch and red usb to the other
Now you should have the adapeter/cap/2" copper on one side of the tee, usb cable/cap/2" copper on the other

Glue as follows:
switch into 3/8 opening

assemble adapter end into tee
assemble usb end into tee with the stripped black wire from the usb cable pinched in between the 2" piece of 1/2 copper pipe and the copper "T"

Apply super glue to all pipe joints (should wick in)

plug into the wall and enjoy 5v!

BTW 1 week and no burn attys yet.,,

I'll see if I can't put a pic or two up.

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I built a home made PT last week for my 510.

Parts list:

4" 1/2 copper pipe cut into 2 pieces
2 1/2 copper caps
1 1/2 x 1/2 x 3/8 copper "T"
1 3amp button switch (radio shack) not sure the part # but the flange is big enough it doesn't fit through the 3/8 side of the tee
1 510 adapter (madvapes.com)
1 old camera usb cord
3" piece of insulated wire

Proceedure

11/32 hole drilled in 1 cap
Hole in other cap to match size of usb cable
Cut non-computer end off usb cable and strip red and black wires (can leave the other two wires)
Solder insulated wire to center pin of adapter
Place adapter in 11/32 hole in cap secure with 1 drop of solder
Place 1 2" piece of copper in between cap and tee. feed wire from adapter out the 3/8" opening of the tee.
Feed stripped usb cable into the other cap/2" copper and bring the red wire up the 3/8 opening
Solder insulated wire to one side of switch and red usb to the other
Now you should have the adapeter/cap/2" copper on one side of the tee, usb cable/cap/2" copper on the other

Glue as follows:
switch into 3/8 opening

assemble adapter end into tee
assemble usb end into tee with the stripped black wire from the usb cable pinched in between the 2" piece of 1/2 copper pipe and the copper "T"

Apply super glue to all pipe joints (should wick in)

plug into the wall and enjoy 5v!

BTW 1 week and no burn attys yet.,,

I'll see if I can't put a pic or two up.

Oh, I have to see the pics of this baby! It sounds very simple and doable if you have the right drill, vise, etc.

Perhaps Scottbee can weigh in to see if there are any issues invisible to those of us who don't do this sort of thing a lot. The copper sounds really pretty!

Dfib

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
LaX, WI
Cell phone pic, sorry best I can do at work.

IMAG0114.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread