High blood pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Hello everyone. :)

I went to see a health advisor this morning at my local doctor's practise. She wanted to discuss the results of my cholesterol blood test and advise me on adjusting diet. It obviously wasn't urgent to them which is good as the results are from 2 months ago and is 5.2mmol/L where they like to see 5 and below. However higher cholesterol combined with high BP is a recipe for disaster.

I'm 60, about 5ft 11" and about 170 pounds. She did my blood pressure while I was there and it was 155. Back in June, it was 144. It's worrying me and I'm trying to think of a logical solution for this.

I've been really overdoing the vaping for a while, vaping even when I don't need the nicotine and sometimes to the point of feeling nauseous. Do you think this is likely the cause and that if I reduce the vaping my blood pressure should lower?

I make my own juice, 2mg strength. I only had a few puffs this morning about a hour or so before seeing the health advisor. But I'm thinking that maybe there's enough nicotine in my blood stream from before today that it can keep blood pressure high?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Anise

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Indeed, Horselady. That mostly happens when I take too many puffs too quickly or if I haven't eaten anything.

What I find I'm doing though is when watching tv, cooking, browsing, whatever it is, I'm always picking up my mod and vaping, whether I need nicotine or not. I'm sure I'm not alone, and I guess I need to exercise will power and reduce the amount of vaping and just do it when I actually crave the nicotine. When I smoked before I quit in 2013, I used to go outside to light up and then had lots of time in between cigarettes without nicotine, so my nic intake was considerably less than my vaping. Not that I would ever return to smoking I hasten to add!

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I'm assuming that's the top number for your blood pressure. It's not really that high and some people's blood pressure rises just from going in the drs office. They call it White Coat Syndrome. If you're really concerned get an automatic blood pressure machine and check your blood pressure daily. I'd check it before and after I vape. That's the only way to know if you really have high blood pressure and if vaping is contributing to it. Good luck!

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
I'm assuming that's the top number for your blood pressure. It's not really that high and some people's blood pressure rises just from going in the drs office. They call it White Coat Syndrome. If you're really concerned get an automatic blood pressure machine and check your blood pressure daily. I'd check it before and after I vape. That's the only way to know if you really have high blood pressure and if vaping is contributing to it. Good luck!

Yes, top number. I forgot to ask her the bottom number. You're correct about it rising while in the doctors office, and I get anxious too. But she took it 3 times and I was as relaxed (certainly by the third time) as I was in the summer when it was mid 140s.

Yeah, today I had considered getting my own blood pressure machine. Do you know of a particular model that I could buy on Amazon that would be as truthful and accurate as a professional doctor's machine?

Edit: I guess this would work well, good reviews anyway.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-M...8HRIGE2PJQ&sprefix=Blood+press,aps,311&sr=8-8

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas

I went to see a health advisor this morning at my local doctor's practise. She wanted to discuss the results of my cholesterol blood test and advise me on adjusting diet. It obviously wasn't urgent to them which is good as the results are from 2 months ago and is 5.2mmol/L where they like to see 5 and below. However higher cholesterol combined with high BP is a recipe for disaster.

I'm 60, about 5ft 11" and about 170 pounds. She did my blood pressure while I was there and it was 155. Back in June, it was 144. It's worrying me and I'm trying to think of a logical solution for this.

I've been really overdoing the vaping for a while, vaping even when I don't need the nicotine and sometimes to the point of feeling nauseous. Do you think this is likely the cause and that if I reduce the vaping my blood pressure should lower?

I make my own juice, 2mg strength. I only had a few puffs this morning about a hour or so before seeing the health advisor. But I'm thinking that maybe there's enough nicotine in my blood stream from before today that it can keep blood pressure high?
How I think about life, and how I act on that in my daily life, is one of the most important aspects of how my body responds to things. If I am stressed, my bp is higher. I eat more carbs and sugars, I am less physically active (not in a nervous way, but in an aerobic way), and I focus on very temporary goals vs. long-term goals. I have problems with this daily, don't feel like you are alone here. Changing the way we do things takes a concerted, dedicated effort, it's not easy. As an aside, my bp is screwed up also, high bp. Strangely though, I measured my bp when out of the doctors office, and it seems that I have low bp... wierd.

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Great replies Blitzdonlife and puffon, thanks. :)

That looks like the one I have. I'm not sure what brand I have, all the writing wore off ;) Don't get the type that go on your wrist. They are notoriously inaccurate.

Yeah, I'll go for an upper arm machine. How many times do you do yours to get a reading you're happy with? In other words, even though you're not in the docs office, does it take you a couple of goes to feel relaxed as the cuff expands? When I'm in the docs office, even though I think I'm relaxed, I always feel my veins pulsing when the cuff has fully strangled my arm.

Actually, I've since found out that there's a British and Irish Hypertension Society who recommend to only buy a clinically validated machine and they've got a whole list of recommended ones, so I'm going to go by that list I think. I noticed one reviewer on my Amazon link said that machine wasn't validated.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I take my blood pressure once a day unless I start feeling funny. Then I'll take it even if I've taken it for the day. If it's high or low I wait 5 minutes and take it again. I'll do it one more time if its still worrisome. If its still high or low then I call my dr. If its extremely high or low the first time I call the dr.
I have high blood pressure but sometimes my pressure gets really low and I pass out. Nothing to play with at all. Good luck!

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
I received my BP machine today. I did my first tests around 11.30pm, not having vaped all day. Blood pressure is meant to be lower at night so I need to also test during the day. That said, interesting results. First result was 155 just like at the doctor, second was 166 and third was 165. I then read that the tube should be in line with the central part of the inner arm. So I adjusted it and these were my fourth and fifth results which are much lower and about the same as my results at the doctors office in the summer. It probably also took me four tries before I relaxed because even at home I'm anxious once the cuff starts inflating.

20191006_234251.jpg 20191006_234431.jpg

Then I vaped and did some more tests. The systolic was higher again around 151 but eventually got back into the low 140s, even 140 exactly on one test. But the diastolic number was higher after vaping, always around 91 to 93. Before vaping, it was mostly below the safe threshold of 84.

I think my conclusion is that my BP is actually low 140s, and that just taking the test raises it, and that vaping seems to increase the bottom number.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I have high blood pressure and have been on medication for it for around 10 years. It is under control at this point.

Diet and exercise can both lower blood pressure, especially regular exercise. But do ask a doctor for advise on this.

Sometime there is also the white coat syndrome...When taken by a doctor or nurse it can be higher than normal. could be nerves.

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Nicotine will raise blood pressure thats a given, however, so will caffeine. The important thing to remember is that its only a temporary increase and will return to normal within a period of time. I have 'high' blood pressure because of a medication I use. I also take a small amount of blood pressure medication to compensate. When I was in the ER recently my blood pressure was a little high. But the Dr's and staff were not at all concerned and told me that unless your blood pressure is over 150+/95+ constantly there would not be much to worry about.

I also had a full CT of my heart and arteries etc after 7 years of high nicotine intake and I recieved what the dr's called exceptional results for a 40+ overweight male. My calcium score was zero (perfect) and my heart and arteries (all of my arteries, small blood vessel etc) were completely disease free with zero abnormalities. Nicotine is not the enemy but I would be more concerned about your lungs ;)

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
Toronto
I just went through this. Was diagnosed with hight BP and high heart rate. This runs in my family, it was a matter of time. I first tried the natural route, but unless you incorporate excercise into this, its hard to lower it with diet alone. My resting heart rate was always high 80s and if I ate out or had a few drinks that would run up to high 90's. I could alway tell it was high. I was put on a betablocker to much anquish and protest.

one thing tho, my BP kept spiking to like 160/100 and couldnt figure out why. As it turned out, it was my juice. For whatever reason I was shipped the wrong nic ammount from my last order. (I usually just hit the reorder button and have never thought twice). I was always a 6MG kind of guy and was contemplating that as my next move to see if this would help my BP as it was on the higher side of normal (135/88) I just happened to look at my bottle as I knocked it over and it was then noticed that I was shipped 18MG!

So I went and ordered 3MG which was painful as I had to adjust from going from 6 to 18 now down to 3mg and my BP finaly settled back down to slightly higher than text book normal levels of 120/80 and my heart rate is 72-74 ish. (still on meds tho)

Interestingly enough, I havent vaped in 2 days now as Im conteplating quitting, and checking my hear rate today this morning and it was like 66. Ive never been that low. Im hoping I get get off these pills as they make me feel tired, however have to be careful how you come off of them, a fine print that wasnt explained to me at the time and wish it was!

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Honestly I think blood pressure has more factors to it than just nicotine.

Nicotine causes my pulse rate to increase, but not my blood pressure. I have high blood pressure and take daily medication for it, but the only thing nicotine seems to affect at checkups is pulse rate. My blood pressure itself has actually gone down since I reintroduced nicotine use.. (I had quit nicotine for a year and a half until recently), but if I've just taken a vape or two before going back then my pulse will be higher..

So this might be something you'll want to speak to your doctor about, I'm not sure all the ins and outs I just know my experience.

• Agree
Reactions: puffon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread