Status
Not open for further replies.

juskiddin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2015
Canada
Hi all,

Wondering if high elevation could cause both my eGo ones to leak.

Stopped for a break from driving on the way to our destination. The area's elevation was quite high; 5000 feet at the summit before dropping down again to reach our destination.

I whipped out my eGo ONE to have a quick puff and both my little rigs had leaked...as in quite badly. Yuck.

Luckily everything returned to normal for the duration of my getaway...no leakage.

Drove back today, reaching 5000 feet again at the summit. Pulled out one of my eGo ONEs once we'd reached sea level again...same thing. Both had leaked quite badly.

I've never had this leakage problem - they're both fine now that I'm home ("regular" elevation).

Could the high elevation have caused the juice to act "crazy"? Both were full btw.

Interesting...

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Short answer, yes. And for the same reason they leak on airplanes. The juice is held in the tank by air pressure in the vape chamber balanced against vacuum in the tank. Increasing altitude lessens the air pressure in the chamber and forces juice past the wick. If you had filled it at the top of the pass, it wouldn't have done it because it would have balanced at the pressure it was filled. Going down would have forced air into the tank, not juice into the chamber. The way to beat it is to make sure the tanks have a bit of air in them (partially empty) and storing them upside down. This puts air instead of juice at the fluid holes of the wick and such pressure differential as may exist equalizes with air and not juice.

juskiddin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2015
Canada
Short answer, yes. And for the same reason they leak on airplanes. The juice is held in the tank by air pressure in the vape chamber balanced against vacuum in the tank. Increasing altitude lessens the air pressure in the chamber and forces juice past the wick. If you had filled it at the top of the pass, it wouldn't have done it because it would have balanced at the pressure it was filled. Going down would have forced air into the tank, not juice into the chamber. The way to beat it is to make sure the tanks have a bit of air in them (partially empty) and storing them upside down. This puts air instead of juice at the fluid holes of the wick and such pressure differential as may exist equalizes with air and not juice.

As always, suprtrkr, I appreciate your speedy and wise reply :)

Thank you!

Reactions: suprtrkr

juskiddin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2015
Canada
Pressure.

When you go high elevation, the pressure outside the tank is lower than inside the tank, so air inside the tank pushes out eliquid to balance the pressure.

keep the tanks upside down when travelling varying altitude and it won't leak.

Thanks so much, edyle.

I thought it was a sign from the Vaping Gods to stay at sea level :)

Cheers

Reactions: suprtrkr

K Stub

Jan 16, 2014
Lone Tree, CO
I do lots of road tripping, including up and down the Rockies. I use an Aspire Atlantis, and have learned that it's only the change in elevation that makes it leak. I f I open the tank a few times as we drive up/down the steeper areas to equalize the pressure, it does just fine. When we camp and ATV at about 10-12,000', it works just the same as when I vape at home at 6000', or on the beach at sea level:) Took a few trips of juice everywhere and some cursing before I figured it out, lol!

Reactions: juskiddin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread