High Voltage vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bae-per

Apr 11, 2017
PH
Hi. I'm new here so please bear with me and bear with my not-so-much-but-probably-sufficient knowledge in vaping.

Here's my baby btw:

Avocado 24
Evic Primo 200W
Twisted Clapton dual coil build (0.37ohm reading on my mod)
70/30 juice
Married VTC4 3.6V batteries
Married VTC5 4.2V batteries

And here's the thing:

I am only a 3-month vaper (quitted smoking) and I'm loving it. I am playing with the wattage of my mod and trying out low and high watts. I haven't found my sweet spot yet but I think I like the vapor, flavor, and heat from higher wattage than the lower. It says in my mod that at 120W, the voltage reading is at 6.66V and the amperes plays around 16-18A.

Just like everybody else, my main concern is safety that is why I am using a regulated mod as my first. I would just like to know if I am pushing my batteries that much at 6.66V for it to be stressed and be harmful to me any moment or is it just fine? And also, do you have any suggestions, recommendations, and advice for me as a beginner vaper? All replies are much much appreciated and let's keep on vaping!

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hi. I'm new here so please bear with me and bear with my not-so-much-but-probably-sufficient knowledge in Vaping.

Here's my baby btw:

Avocado 24
Evic Primo 200W
70/30 Juice

And here's the thing:

I am only a 3-month vaper (quitted smoking) and I'm loving it. I am playing with the wattage of my mod and trying out low and high watts. I haven't found my sweet spot yet but I think I like the vapor, flavor, and heat from higher wattage than the lower. It says in my mod that at 120W, the voltage reading is at 6.66V and the amperes plays around 16-18A.

Just like everybody else, my main concern is safety that is why I am using a regulated mod as my first. I would just like to know if I am pushing my batteries that much at 6.66V for it to be stressed and be harmful to me any moment or is it just fine? And also, do you have any suggestions, recommendations, and advice for me as a beginner vaper? All replies are much much appreciated and let's keep on vaping!

Okay, first off, amp pull versus amp push in a regulated mod. Joyetech like many in their readings of amps, this is the amp push from the control board to the coil, it is quite simply figured just like an unregulated mod (Voltage/Resistance=Amps) 6.66v/0.37ohms=18amps
Second is the amp pull or amp supply from the batteries, being a series battery configuration we get Voltage X Number of Batteries, range of charge on a battery is from 3.2v lowest to 4.2v highest fresh charge, being yours is a dual battery that figure becomes 6.4v to 8.4v supply, the Mah and amp ratings stay the same as a single battery, both the VTC4 and VTC5 are 20amp continuous discharge rated (CDR), this is a key rating as it is what the batteries can handle the entire discharge cycle, no more, the VTC4 is 2100mah and the VTC5 is 2600mah
Set 1 VTC4 Pair = 6.4v to 8.4v, 20amp CDR, and 2100mah operating range
Set 2 VTC5 Pair = 6.4v to 8.4v, 20amp CDR, and 2600mah operating range
Now, knowing our battery figures, we use another formula from Ohm's Law using our set watts, and being it takes power to make the circuit board to function on average that is about 10% the board takes out to function we get a 90% efficiency rating.
(Set Watts/Lowest Voltage Charge)/90%=Max Amps
(120watts/6.4v)/0.9=20.8333333 Amps Supply Max Needed both your married pairs are not really being taxed that much, if we bump cutoff voltage 0.2v
(120watts/6.6v)/0.9=20.202020 Max Amps
(120watts/8.4v)/0.9=15.8730 Max Amps
Notice How more amps are pulled at the lower the charge? Also take note, most modern regulated mod control boards have a boost and might have a buck circuit. Boost circuits kick in when available voltage supply is lower than voltage needed to be sent to the coils, here the boost circuit pulls raw amps, converts them to extra volts and adds that to the voltage signal to reach the needed voltage to the coil, thus lower charge = more amps needed. Buck circuits work opposite, when voltage supply is higher than voltage needed, the buck circuit kicks on and absorbs or shunts that extra voltage out of the signal into the control board, and/or pulse width modulates the voltage signal on and off to simulate the necessary voltage.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm convinced they put the volts and amps on display on a mod just to deliberately confuse you. @IMFire3605 gave you an excellent rundown. Bottom line for regulated mods is to use Watts law, not Ohms. So it's A=W/V (-10% for board efficiency). The V to use is usually the low volt cutoff, as that's you're biggest stressor. Average cutoff on a regulated mod should be about 3.2V. And remember, you're the one setting the wattage.

Simplest guide to follow is 20A batteries are good for about 60W each. add them up when in series. So 2 20A batteries are enough for 120W. You're safe. However, not super convenient. Chain vape at 120W with 2 batteries and you'll be swapping them out a lot. My personal preference for high wattage vaping like that is to use a 3 battery mod. Yes, bigger and bulkier, but less battery swapping. Either way you're good.

If you want to go over 60W per battery, or in this case over 120W, get some 30A batteries. The downside is with higher amps is lower capacity, generally 1500 mAh. There you really want a 3 battery mod as you'll drain those batteries dry in no time.

Bae-per

Apr 11, 2017
PH
Okay, first off, amp pull versus amp push in a regulated mod. Joyetech like many in their readings of amps, this is the amp push from the control board to the coil, it is quite simply figured just like an unregulated mod (Voltage/Resistance=Amps) 6.66v/0.37ohms=18amps
Second is the amp pull or amp supply from the batteries, being a series battery configuration we get Voltage X Number of Batteries, range of charge on a battery is from 3.2v lowest to 4.2v highest fresh charge, being yours is a dual battery that figure becomes 6.4v to 8.4v supply, the Mah and amp ratings stay the same as a single battery, both the VTC4 and VTC5 are 20amp continuous discharge rated (CDR), this is a key rating as it is what the batteries can handle the entire discharge cycle, no more, the VTC4 is 2100mah and the VTC5 is 2600mah
Set 1 VTC4 Pair = 6.4v to 8.4v, 20amp CDR, and 2100mah operating range
Set 2 VTC5 Pair = 6.4v to 8.4v, 20amp CDR, and 2600mah operating range
Now, knowing our battery figures, we use another formula from Ohm's Law using our set watts, and being it takes power to make the circuit board to function on average that is about 10% the board takes out to function we get a 90% efficiency rating.
(Set Watts/Lowest Voltage Charge)/90%=Max Amps
(120watts/6.4v)/0.9=20.8333333 Amps Supply Max Needed both your married pairs are not really being taxed that much, if we bump cutoff voltage 0.2v
(120watts/6.6v)/0.9=20.202020 Max Amps
(120watts/8.4v)/0.9=15.8730 Max Amps
Notice How more amps are pulled at the lower the charge? Also take note, most modern regulated mod control boards have a boost and might have a buck circuit. Boost circuits kick in when available voltage supply is lower than voltage needed to be sent to the coils, here the boost circuit pulls raw amps, converts them to extra volts and adds that to the voltage signal to reach the needed voltage to the coil, thus lower charge = more amps needed. Buck circuits work opposite, when voltage supply is higher than voltage needed, the buck circuit kicks on and absorbs or shunts that extra voltage out of the signal into the control board, and/or pulse width modulates the voltage signal on and off to simulate the necessary voltage.

You sir, Mr. @IMFire3605 , enlightened me very well! Thanks for your brilliant discussion on this issue! I didn't know any of these until you discussed it. I just know the basic Ohm's Law :D I learned a new thing today. :)

Thanks to @Eskie for the lecture and suggestion as well! For now, my Evic Primo does not give me any problem so I'll stick to this one for a while. :) But in the near future, I'll get another mod and that time it'll be a 3 battery mod.

And thanks to @suprtrkr for your reply and the +1 on my battery! :) I've decided to go a little low on my wattage and that is 100W. The flavor and vapor did not change significantly and at this level, it's more convenient for my batteries so I guess this will be my sweet spot for a while. :)

Thank you for your replies everyone! I'll keep this thread open for other suggestions and lectures so I can learn more. :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi. I'm new here so please bear with me and bear with my not-so-much-but-probably-sufficient knowledge in Vaping.
Here's my baby btw:
Avocado 24
Evic Primo 200W
70/30 Juice
And here's the thing:
Welcome and glad you joined. I'm glad you choose a reg. mod, you will be safer than a mech mod.
Might like to read:
vapetown
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://www.smokingvapor.com/blog/2016/05/
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread