The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

High Wattage Vaping with a Protank II Rebuild

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by amurphy, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. amurphy

amurphy Full Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Austin, TX, USA
    I rebuilt my Protank II coil to 1.3 ohms using organic cotton. I threw is on my DNA30 box mod, and I was just wondering what is the highest wattage I should use with this tank. I don't know if there are any safety concerns with the heat being produced inside the tank. I've been vaping at around 14-16 watts. Can I crank it up to 25-30 watts?

2. v1k1ng1001

v1k1ng1001 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Edinburg, TX
    Try it? Look out though because it's easy to scortch that rubber seal that sits at the base of the chimney--in which case you can expect a nice burnt rubber taste.

3. Bibliophile713

Bibliophile713 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2013
    SC, USA
    If you end up burning insulators, Lightning Vapes has them in both rubber and silicone. I don't have a high wattage device, so can't help you with that part.

4. bussdriver

bussdriver Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 17, 2013
    Crank it up until you don't like it. Bet you can't vape that high, though. That's an awful lot of heat for such a small area and airflow. Usually about 12 watts or so is about all my rebuilds like.

5. VaPreis

VaPreis Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    Only one way to find out!

6. RIMP

RIMP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Cheaper rubber insulators and some other stuff :) clonecores - 60-piece Protank / Evod / MT3 Rebuilder's Kit

7. Susan~S

Susan~S ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2014
    Mpls/St.Paul, MN
  8. RIMP

RIMP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I've been searching as I feel some are charging up the wazoo for relatively cheap items :) another link for kanthal Kanthal A1

9. amurphy

amurphy Full Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Austin, TX, USA
    thanks for all the responses, guys :)

10. wsjh

wsjh Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Singapore
    If you want 25-30watts i suggest a kayfun. Mine handles it exceptionally well.

11. edyle

edyle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

It's more the gauge of the wire that matters for high power on a single coil like that;
    thicker gauge wire takes more power; thicker gauge wire has lower resistance, so you end up with lower ohm coils when you use thicker wire.

If you try to run 30 watts through 30 gauge at 1 ohm you'll just fry the coil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.