Hittman's Hideout

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Fran, do you have any good vanilla recipes? Someone I know on the forum is looking for a replacement recipe for Aroma's vanilla splash. I wish I knew what it tasted like so I could try to copy it.

Hi Hitt! I stumbled upon your posts... Nice to see you all again, BTW.

AFAIK, Aroma's Vanilla is just plain, creamy vanilla flavor--(check the reviews on their site?). I think that a good vanilla, like FA Vanilla Classic, might do it--and no diketones.

Here's HIC's description of several vanilla flavors (all FA):

FA Vanilla Classic, Vanilla Tahiti, and Vanilla Bourbon FA’s vanillas are best discussed as a group. All are roughly the same strength, useful as standalone flavors and in recipes. All are vanilla extract type flavors, not sweetened or custardy - though they have the natural sweetness and slight creaminess you expect from vanilla. They are quite different flavors; it's like having 3 distinctly different gourmet vanilla extracts in your kitchen. If you're adding vanilla to light fruits, try Vanilla Tahiti first. If you're duplicating vanilla-flavored snack foods, you probably need Vanilla Classic. For bold vanilla flavor, try Vanilla Bourbon first. Often a mix of two or all three will be ideal. You'll make better vapes if you have all three to work with. Try each standalone to get a good idea of each flavor before using them in recipes.

FA Vanilla Bourbon Rich, dark, bold vanilla - the flavor of gourmet Madagascar vanilla extract. This is NOT the flavor of bourbon alcohol! Although it can be too prominent for light fruit flavors, Vanilla Bourbon adds bold, gourmet vanilla flavor to just about anything else. It's more complex than Vanilla Classic and more versatile than Vanilla Tahiti. Vanilla Bourbon is often the best choice for coffees, dark tobaccos, dark fruits, rich bakery flavors, and as a noticeable hint of vanilla in complex recipes.

FA Vanilla Classic Like vanilla extract flavor sold in the U.S., comparable in flavor to Mexican vanilla extract. This is the vanilla flavor Americans know from vanilla ice cream, cake, and popular cookies. Although it's an excellent and versatile vanilla, many people get only this one -- and really miss out by never trying the other two.

FA Vanilla Tahiti Tahitian vanilla is a bright vanilla with a note of almond/cherry. It’s the sweetest of FA's vanillas. Vanilla Tahiti is usually the best choice with fresh fruit flavors, especially mild fruits. Bold or 'dark' flavors can overwhelm it, so it's best with either with mild flavors or in recipes that feature vanilla as a main ingredient. It's just as strongly-flavored as FA’s other vanillas when vaped standalone, but it's more easily lost as an accent.

FA Vienna Cream Extremely versatile, rich, nicely-sweet, creamy flavor. There is a hint of vanilla when used below 3%. Over 3% may give you a sharp flavor that some describe as an alcohollike note; that can mellow over time, but it’s best to consider 3% an upper limit to avoid the problem. Vienna Cream tastes similar to the filling in Boston cream pie. It’s closer to what most Americans consider custard than FA's Custard flavor is. If you add a little nutmeg flavor (rum and/or vanilla optional) it’s excellent eggnog. Vienna Cream is a good start for ice cream flavors. Vienna Cream plus Vanilla Classic tastes like vanilla ice cream. Vienna smooths out bakery recipes well. It tames the strong flavors of FA Tiramisu, for example, and makes FA Cookie richer and sweeter.

Anyway, I'd probably start with Vanilla Classic, maybe mixed with Vienna Cream for more creaminess.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread