Hmmm where's the flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
sierra nevada foothills, ca
So I just started with diy mixing last night. I am using the iPhone e juice app so I know my ratios are right. I mixed up a batch of blueberry (pa extra blueberry) with all vg. Made 10ml and so far it has no flavor at all. I started at 20% flavor concentration and couldn't taste it, went up to 30% and still not getting any flavor. I know vg mutes flavors but I've purchased pure vg premixed juices from vendors and they all have flavor. I let it sit now for at least 15 hours now and still 0 flavor. Well Maybe not 0 flavor but deffinetly not what I expected with the extra flavor blueberry and the amour I used. Any suggestions? I also added .5ml of ethyl maltol if that matters at all. Any help is appreciated. Thanx. :unsure:

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Oddly enough, too much flavor can have the same effect as not enough flavor. I know it sounds strange, but you will find plenty of others that can attest to it. Try cutting your mix back down, or make a fresh batch, so that you have a maximum of 10% flavoring and see if that helps. I mix almost all of my PA flavorings at 10% and haven't tried the extras yet.

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Now I have to figure out how to mix it down to 10%. I'm assuming if I mic up another 20mls of nic and vg and add that it will drop my 30 down to 10. So weird that more flavor would take away all the flavor. I also don't get why vendors juices are always colored but if mix my own at 10% they're completely clear. Still new to mixing so thank you for guiding me in the right direction.

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Basementcat try a smaller batch so if you don't get it right no big deal. I would use 45 drops of nic/vg and and 5 drops of Blueberry and 1 drop of malto.

yeah i wanted to make only 10ml but i ended up using all the blueberry flavoring i had left. so now im trying figure out how to get it down to around 10% i know if i double it to 20mls i will have about 15% so i think im right in saying i need to add another 20mls (in total) to get it down to 10%?

redgirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brunswick, MD
I think that blueberry is one of the hardest flavors to get. I've tried PA blueberry extra and I still think it's weak. Capella's blueberry tastes better, but it's a little weak, also. I just think you chose one of the toughest flavors to start out with, especially with all VG. If you have it, try using PA's pear. It's a really strong flavor that I've been able to have come out good in VG mixes.

I can't even get a good, strong tasting blueberry with PG, so don't feel bad.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
That's too much Ethyl Maltol.
It is very powerful stuff.
The EM has to be diluted correctly to begin with though.
Blueberry is one of the hardest flavors. Lorann's takes a lot. Not sure about PA though. Capella's is probably your best bet.
Since you have so much EM in there, it will taste more like cotton candy, or nothing.

Last edited:

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
That's too much Ethyl Maltol.
It is very powerful stuff.
The EM has to be diluted correctly to begin with though.
Blueberry is one of the hardest flavors. Lorann's takes a lot. Not sure about PA though. Capella's is probably your best bet.
Since you have so much EM in there, it will taste more like cotton candy, or nothing.

I am using pa's cotton candy which is EM diluted to 10% in pg. I thought it was too much as well. The bottle has now been diluted Down to a 10% flavor ratio. Will let it sit for a few hours and try it again. If it fails I have a huckleberry sample I might add a little of. Thanx again for all the info.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I only sell VG so I couldn't tell you.
When you actually make the EM you dilute the powder with PGA. (Everclear, not Propylene Glycol)
You are supposed to dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of Ethyl Maltol crystals with 10ml of PGA.
Now you have EM that can be added to sweeten liquids.
Then when you add it to your flavored e-liquid, add 2 drops per 6ml of liquid.
You can add more, but too much will dilute the flavor of the liquid.

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
I only sell VG so I couldn't tell you.
When you actually make the EM you dilute the powder with PGA. (Everclear, not Propylene Glycol)
You are supposed to dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of Ethyl Maltol crystals with 10ml of PGA.
Now you have EM that can be added to sweeten liquids.
Then when you add it to your flavored e-liquid, add 2 drops per 6ml of liquid.
You can add more, but too much will dilute the flavor of the liquid.
Thanx again for the info. I purchased it from perfumers apprentice. I actually just added a few drops of huckleberry and now the juice is tasting quite good. I guess blueberry is just not a good starting point for diy. Also I won't be adding that much em in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread