Homemade Resistor Disc - Or How to Make Any 6v/7.2v Mod into ~5v Modularly

Status
Not open for further replies.

illuxion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
How is that home made? If I go buy a resistor, I didn't make it... Plus, I think half the point of the disc shaped home made resistor is the room saved in the flashlight or tube style mods vs a regulator or even a resistor...

there are such things as thin film resisters which are more than likely smaller, handle the more power and are actually accurate. Something like this? Digi-Key - CPA25Q8.2TR-ND (Manufacturer - CPA2512Q8R20FS-T10) 6mmx3mm and about 1/2mm thick for 8ohm 16w. Since the op never posted pics I can only speculate that his is thicker than 1mm. These are smaller than the diameter of a AAA/10440 Maybe 6ohm Digi-Key - CPA25Q6.8TR-ND (Manufacturer - CPA2512Q6R80FS-T10) although with a standard atty and 8v you'd probably want something like Digi-Key - CPA25Q4.7CT-ND (Manufacturer - CPA2512Q4R70FS-T10) which would give you around an amp with regular atty, although personally I'd look for attys with 2.25-2.5ohms for killer vapage.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I really don't understand your numbers. How could a 6Ω resister added to the mix possibly work?

If we start with 7.2V and a 2.2Ω atty we get about 22 watts (ouch). Adding a 6Ω resistor (8.2Ω total) we get 6.3 watts, but isn't the 6Ω resistor dissipating 73% of those watts leaving the atty itself at a paltry 4.6 watts?

Adding 1Ω to the mix makes sense to me. 7.2V @ 3.2Ω = 16.2 watts. The 1Ω resistor is dissipating 31% of the watts leaving the atty at about a nice 11 watts.

Am I not understanding this correctly?

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
I think it would be a matter of preference. For me, with 2 x 3.2v batteries (~6.4v) a 3.1ohm to 3.4ohm resistance is about ideal.

So, 6.4v through 3.2ohms ~= 2Amps ~= 12.8Watts

I suppose I would be happy with with anything down to maybe just under 11 Watts and probably up to just over 13 Watts.
If I only had one I would probably choose a 1ohm resistor disk.

What I'm wondering is where does the heat go and would that be an issue?

illuxion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I really don't understand your numbers. How could a 6Ω resister added to the mix possibly work?

If we start with 7.2V and a 2.2Ω atty we get about 22 watts (ouch). Adding a 6Ω resistor (8.2Ω total) we get 6.3 watts, but isn't the 6Ω resistor dissipating 73% of those watts leaving the atty itself at a paltry 4.6 watts?

Adding 1Ω to the mix makes sense to me. 7.2V @ 3.2Ω = 16.2 watts. The 1Ω resistor is dissipating 31% of the watts leaving the atty at about a nice 11 watts.

Am I not understanding this correctly?

The OP was supposedly using a 10ohm resistor, 500ma considering the atty(I don't call that good vaping).

edit for weekend drunken posting :p

You are correct, I was going on what the OP had stated. I still don't believe his final resistance was 10ohms, I was just giving examples close to his. For me, if I'm going to waste half the power through a resistor, I don't see the point unless it's something that is already built, in which case I'd just go for an HV atty. There are plenty of high power low resistance thin film resistors, choose which would best suit your vaping style. With regular 510 attys I like closer to 5w, 4.2v ~ 2.9ohms is nice. I just played on my bench and putting a 2ohm in series with a TW 2.9ohm 510 atty worked well for 8v and still ok at 7.2(remember charged lithiums start out at about 4.2v). That same resistance on a 2.5ohm E2 r4 carto tasted like crap.I went to a 2.5 resistor and it was kosher. It's whatever floats your boat, but I do think 11w would be mean.

Last edited:

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
But I think the original intent was a simple insertable solution to use with existing equipment.
For example:
I have a BB. Fits 1 x 14500 battery or 2 x CR2 batteries. I want to end up with 11, 12, 13 or so Watts from the coil.
I don't want to buy or make a different PV. I want to use my existing supply of batteries and chargers.
That pretty much limits the solution (as far as I can think of) to an insertable disk in the battery compartment (spring would accomodate it) or an adaptor thingie between the atty/carto?

2 or maybe 3 such devices providing different fixed attenuation would cover most everything... The atty/cartos I use are either in the 2.4ohm range or the 3.2 ohm range so I could make do with just 2 different ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread