Homemade Resistor Disc - Or How to Make Any 6v/7.2v Mod into ~5v Modularly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Well??? anybody else try this? I'm getting desperate. Attys and cartomizers with 3.0 ohms or greater work fine. Attys or cartomizers with less than 3.0 ohms (of which I have a bunch) trip the protection circuit in my batteries. I really need about 1 ohm extra resistance. All my attys and cartomizers will work and the ones I have with 3.0 to 3.2 ohms will still be ok.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Well??? anybody else try this? I'm getting desperate. Attys and cartomizers with 3.0 ohms or greater work fine. Attys or cartomizers with less than 3.0 ohms (of which I have a bunch) trip the protection circuit in my batteries. I really need about 1 ohm extra resistance. All my attys and cartomizers will work and the ones I have with 3.0 to 3.2 ohms will still be ok.
What exactly are you using? What batteries? What device that "trip the protection circuit in my batteries"?

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
What exactly are you using? What batteries? What device that "trip the protection circuit in my batteries"?

BB with the green "15266" protected CR2s from MadVapes. I think they might be pretty much the same battery as the ultrafire 15270 protected CR2s also from MadVapes? Atomizers right at 2.9 ohms are touch and go (literally). You can get them to vape if you rapid fire hit the button. 3.0 ohm atomizers work fine and 2.8 ohm or less atomizers don't fire at all.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Those batteries are a bust. I'd use CR2's, a meter and common sense.

Well, yes. Safety is one thing, and another major consideration for me is not running them down too far. I don't want to worry about that. I just use them until they cut off. Simple. I don't want to be wondering if it's the batterys that are getting low, or if it's time to drip more, or if its because I happen to be using an atomizer with a higher resistance, or my cartomizer is wearing out, or it's the different juice I'm using ... or have to get the batteries out and put a meter on them. Just too much to deal with after a bloody mary and a couple of beers half way through my round of golf.

Or get a device that can use Tenergy Li-PO's.
Not an option. I like the device I've got.

illuxion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
easier to buy a power resistor. This "resistor disk" doesn't regulate the voltage unless there is a voltage divider somewhere that I can't see. What is does is limit the current, waste energy, and create heat. By putting 10 ohms in series you are limiting the current to a half of an amp and bleeding 2.5w out of the resistor, actually less considering the atty resistance and switch resistance. You're much better off using a simple 5v linear regulator, 3 pins, in out and ground and with linears the droupout voltage(how close out can get to in) is pretty damn good(no need for caps on a fixed linear with battery power and the atty doesn't mind a little wiggle on the output). The best bet is using a buck regulator to knock the voltage down, but if you insist on home made resistors, figure out what current you want and pick an appropriate power resistor.

illuxion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
What a great idea....too bad you can't buy these pre-made.

Look on ebay or digikey. Look for something like a 15w+ resistor to be safe. Remembering that resistors limit current(NOT voltage unless you make a voltage divider) Lets say something like a 2.5ohm @ 3.7v you are moving about 1.5a to heat the coil. You're now using 8v for your supply, through the same 2.5ohms you're now moving 3.2a through the coil which would make it hotter than hades for the time it can stand that much current. You want to put a big resistor in series to lower the current. To limit 8v to 1.5a you need 5.33ohms, I'd call it 5 to cover some of the voltage sagging. so your already have the 2.5ohm atty, you need another 2.5ohm so something like this Digi-Key - PWR220T-20-2R50F-ND (Manufacturer - PWR220T-20-2R50F) would work, although half of your power will light the atty, the other half will be wasted through the resistor.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
easier to buy a power resistor. This "resistor disk" doesn't regulate the voltage unless there is a voltage divider somewhere that I can't see. What is does is limit the current, waste energy, and create heat. ... The best bet is using a buck regulator to knock the voltage down, but if you insist on home made resistors, figure out what current you want and pick an appropriate power resistor.
The whole point of this post was make something that could be easily slipped/fitted into an existing tube mod to tone down the 7.2V a pair of Li-ions produces.

Most of the non-regulated so-called 5V tube mods usually use a 1Ω (2-5W) resistor (sometimes in the switch assembly) to accomplish this.

BobTheKlown

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2010
Red Oak, Tx
...but if you insist on home made resistors, figure out what current you want and pick an appropriate power resistor.

How is that home made? If I go buy a resistor, I didn't make it... Plus, I think half the point of the disc shaped home made resistor is the room saved in the flashlight or tube style mods vs a regulator or even a resistor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread