Hot Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Tn
How many of y'all like hot peppers? I started a few years ago adding some heat to every meal. Then I noticed nothing I could buy at the grocery store was hot enough. Now I am going to venture into the super hot range of peppers. While habanero's will remain one of my all time favorites and a new found love for the Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet I am gonna grow some.
I have 20 something plants started and most being super hots. This will be my first time growing.

Who likes the heat? :evil:

Last edited:

Tinben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Tn
Cool. Glad to hear some Chiliheads are among us. I am excited for this year's grow. When I made the jump from just putting hot sauce on my food to putting raw slices of chocolate habanero it was a life changer. I started craving the heat.
My brother and I made jalapeno poppers and then put chocolate habanero powder on them. It was an enlightening experience.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
Yeah Baby - bring em on!
I grow
Jamaican Scotch Bonnets (red) - they grow into very large bushes for me
Datil Peppers - orig. from the St. Augustine Area ( hot as friggin hell)
Cayenne Peppers
Jalepeno Peppers
Chile Peppers ( long and skinny)
Cow Peppers - big - fat - pretty hot
that's my short list - every year I year I add some different stuff.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    I'm just a jalapeno fan. Pretty much as hot as I will go. My brother, on the other hand, loves hot anything. When he was little, he had a biting problem. Someone told her to put hot sauce on his tongue(this was about 20+ years ago btw) and he said "More Mama!" :laugh:

Another story is about 6 yrs ago he got some peppers, one that is a step or two hotter than Habanero, and bit into it whole! He never before ate anything hotter than a jalapeno and wasn't used to this level of spiciness. He was showing out and ended up red faced and weezing! I was laughing my .... off.:lol: I gave him a glass of milk and he gulped it down. I looked at his tear and snot streaked face and said, "Next time take a small taste before digging right in." He gave me this go to :evil: look. I just cracked up again.:lol::lol::lol:

Fire

Verified Member
    Feb 13, 2013
    Massachusetts
    5y2adumu.jpg

Forgot to add the photo my collection of sauces homemade and store bought

treyb

Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    SE Alabama
    A really good way to cook and what me and my wife do on occasion. We take Thai peppers and put them in a mortar type bowl, then add a lot of salt. Then crush the peppers with the concrete thing.(sorry forgot what it is called) We crush them into fine pieces and the salt is no longer visible. I cut up chicken and add chicken and the peppers together in a frying pan and cook. We have had to pull our shirts over our face as a mask just to breath without sneezing it is so hot. But the chicken is unbelievable!

Fire

Verified Member
    Feb 13, 2013
    Massachusetts
    My wife and kids think Big Red gum is too hot. My wife has actually cried that her mouth was burning after eatting some of my chili with nothing more than store bought chili powder in it.

I love spicy food, I just don't get it very often. maybe I should start growing my own. How hard is it?

Depending on the variety of peppers you want to grow and the climate where you live can make growing some of the more exotic tropical peppers difficult. I live in new england so a good part of the year I bring the plants inside and store them in my garage for the colder months. A good pepper to grow for beginners is habanero's, Serrano's, very easy to get growing. Once you are comfortable with growing them then you can move on to the hotter , more difficult to grow exotic extremely hot peppers

Pod99966

Mar 21, 2014
    Floriduh
    Depending on the variety of peppers you want to grow and the climate where you live can make growing some of the more exotic tropical peppers difficult. I live in new england so a good part of the year I bring the plants inside and store them in my garage for the colder months. A good pepper to grow for beginners is habanero's, Serrano's, very easy to get growing. Once you are comfortable with growing them then you can move on to the hotter , more difficult to grow exotic extremely hot peppers

I'm originally from Mass. but I live in Florida, so tropical climate is not a problem. I was wondering if they require a lot of upkeep. I don't mind, I just happen to have a bunch of time on my hands for the next few years. I guess I need to do some research.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread