Hotspots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandas

Mar 28, 2014
New Jersey
I've seen a few things pop up here and there talking about "hotspots", but what exactly are they? I tried searching for it, but I can't really find a conclusive answer.

I'm just curious because sometimes my middle post catches fire or when I'm burning the wick, a portion of the coil glows and catches on fire as well, but I just blow it out. I'm just assuming that has something to do with these hotspots, but I'm not really sure.

Would somebody mind explaining to me what they are and how to avoid/fix them please?

Edit: Also, the middle post is starting to turn darker than the rest, is this an issue?

Last edited:

Benzin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Cancun MX
A Hotspot is basically a part of the coil that lights up (gets hot) a lot faster that the rest of the coil.

When you dry burn a coil, it lights up (turns red) ideally all the wraps (turns of wire) should light up at almost the same time, starting from the center. If one part of the coil is glowing red, and the others arent, thats a hotspot.

in my experience, hotspots are caused by parts of the wire not touching the wick, and can alter the flavor of your juice a bit so its a good idea to take care of them.
Just locate the wrap that is lighting up first (the hotspot) and move it sideways a bit, make shure all the turns of the wire are evenly spaced and touching the wick. Not too hard really

Pandas

Mar 28, 2014
New Jersey
A Hotspot is basically a part of the coil that lights up (gets hot) a lot faster that the rest of the coil.

When you dry burn a coil, it lights up (turns red) ideally all the wraps (turns of wire) should light up at almost the same time, starting from the center. If one part of the coil is glowing red, and the others arent, thats a hotspot.

in my experience, hotspots are caused by parts of the wire not touching the wick, and can alter the flavor of your juice a bit so its a good idea to take care of them.
Just locate the wrap that is lighting up first (the hotspot) and move it sideways a bit, make shure all the turns of the wire are evenly spaced and touching the wick. Not too hard really

Oh, thanks perfectly explains it, thanks!

jp_cfc09

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
lost
lol id change that coil mate, part catches on fire but you just blow it out. I really hope you just ment it goes hot red and not actually on fire as that wouldnt be to good to use after its burnt. when you dry burn you dont actually burn the wick, just fire it on and off for a couple of seconds at a time untill its cleaned the wire. you know as the smoke has stopped comeing off and the coil glows a nice even red colour, if its uneven just adjust the wire to suit.:):)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread