How do you make your own flavoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to make DIY liquid but don't want to buy specific "ecig/ehookah" flavors. I want to know what can I use to flavor my eliquid. Can I use stuff like flavor extracts? Flavored oils? Things like vanilla extract? or instead of mixing water into my glycerin could I mix in fruit juice? What works? What doesn't what can I buy at like a supermarket or health food store that will work? I'm not using nicotine so exact measurements shouldn't be a problem.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
hello and welcome to ECF once you gain enough post count feel free to check out the DIY E-Liquid Forum

i'm not expert and there's debate about using oils, I've used them but they can gunk up your atty, crack tanks and tend to be a lot stronger than flavorings...
basically anything food grade should be ok to use. Fruit juice I would probably advise against....too much sugars/corn starches and I'm sure other reasons

nicotine or not exact measurements of flavor vs pg or vg would still apply...there is a lot of info in the diy forums and using a calculator will help a lot as well I prefer the eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

also there are plenty of vendors that sell just ejuice with no nic and others that sell just flavoring for diy

Last edited:

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I want to make DIY liquid but don't want to buy specific "ecig/ehookah" flavors. I want to know what can I use to flavor my eliquid. Can I use stuff like flavor extracts? Flavored oils? Things like vanilla extract? or instead of mixing water into my glycerin could I mix in fruit juice? What works? What doesn't what can I buy at like a supermarket or health food store that will work? I'm not using nicotine so exact measurements shouldn't be a problem.

I've only got started myself and wouldn't claim expert status but, essentially, yeah, you use food additives. Flavorings sold for baking and candy making and such. For example, one of the popular companies is LorAnn: LorAnn Oils - Flavors, Essential Oils & Supplies for Candy, Baking & Crafting | Lorann Oils. No mention of "e-cigs" at all. They're all about ice cream and candies and such. I've bought LorAnn oils off Amazon even to use in my, heh, attempts. :)

(I can handle basic stuff at this point but "recipes"... not so much... yet)

Another place a lot of DIYers buy from is The Flavor Apprentice who caters also to us vape types with tobacco flavorings in addition to fruits and such.

Also, there's the ever reliable Mount Baker who has a couple hundred flavorings: Electronic Cigarette flavors. I've bought a number of theirs myself. Started with them and only now have begun to play with LorAnn and TFA and such.

Mount Baker's DIY stuff is dead easy to play around with. And since you're not using nicotine, that's one less thing to have to "figure". I always suggest people start out with Mount Baker if they want to try their hand at doing their own mixes. Easy, easy to work with.

I dunno about actual fruit juices or something like that. Never heard of it. Then again, I'm still learning the liquid DIY thing.

The DIY liquid section is over this way: DIY E-Liquid.

For reasons of trying to trap spammers (among other nuisances), you need at least 5 posts to be able to post outside of New Members but you can read most of the sections here regardless. You'll probably just want to read at first anyway. I haven't posted over there myself yet. I lurk and learn but haven't had much of anything worth saying. At least not yet. :)

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
Wow, I didn't know you could make your own flavors. How do you make a chocolate flavor?

Giggles with chocolate flavoring :)
Sorry I had to.

Please read my first post ;)
There are lots of info in the DIY section on making your own ejuice.
Basically any food grade flavoring/oil will work.
Some pg and/or vg
Nic or no nic that's up to you
Some Pyrex bottles to mix in
Pipettes or needles for measuring
A good recipe calculator, I prefer the juice me up one
There again there's lots of posts in the DIY forum with good starter kits for DIY
And important posts to read on getting started.
It seems difficult but really it's not. Just a simple follow directions/recipe and there ya go until you feel comfortable enough to start playing with your own recipes:)

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Wow, I didn't know you could make your own flavors. How do you make a chocolate flavor?

Heh, that's outta my league. I'm still trying to make a decent "root beer float".

The basics are easy. Single flavor mixes. Nab some Mount Baker plain nic and some flavorings and mix to taste. Kind of like a "no bake" dessert outta the box. :)

But, like cooking, you can get really sophisticated and do all kinds of fancy things "from scratch". Tons of info over in the DIY Liquids section. Including recipes: E-Liquid Recipes.

Mostly, I'm doing it to save money. Bulk nic, PG, and VG can be had pretty inexpensively. And basic, single flavor stuff is pretty straightforward. The premade out there, you're paying for expertise of the people who make it. Which is fine but can add up. I like several of FlavorZ by Joe. He's really good. But cheapest I can get his liquids is about 70 cents a ml. I can do my simple batches for no more than 10 cents a ml. 8 cents a ml average right now.

Heh, it's a little like how if you want really well prepared meals, you go to a nice restaurant and pay somebody to do the cooking. But buying groceries and making simple stuff at home costs a lot less...

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
Some flavorings work better then others. Right now, for instance, I'm having trouble with LorAnn Root Beer and Apple. They just might not work for vaping.

As for oils? I would recomend the LorAnn candy flavorings but nothing else. LorAnn oils are mostly fruit oils and shouldn't pose too much of a problem. I would NOT recomend anything with a vegetable based oil in it. Burnt vegetable oils can slowly clog your airways.

Fruit juices? I've tried it. Tried to make a lemonade using Real Lemon lemon juice. It didn't work. The problem is (like Shadav said) that they contain either citric acid, sugars (natural or added), or both. The acid isn't good to breath, and the sugars carmelise as soon as they hit the coil resulting in a burnt tast.

You CAN, however, add a couple of drops of lemon juice per 5ml of a fruit flavoring in order to inhance the flavor.
If your using stright VG I would dilute it with distilled water. You CAN use PGA but it might give your juice bit of a bite to it. Or if your using VG and PG you shouldn't need to cut it with water at all.

Extracts are tricky. In most of them the same rule goes as with the juices as far as their sugar comtent. I have however heard of some people making their own extracts by soaking vanilla beans in either stright PG or stright VG. But I would consider this an expert project.
Start with LorAnn, Mt. Baker, TFA and so on.

As for getting things from your local store? Here is how I started:

VG (Glycerine): From Rite Aid, Wal Mart, CVS, Walgreens ......
LorAnn Flavorings: From my local candy supply store, baking store, WalMart
Distilled Water: From Wal Mart
Liquid Sucralose (liquid Splenda): From my local grocery store, Wal Mart
15ml empty bottles: My local vaping store, e-bay, FastTech
Eye dropper: Rite Aid, Wal Mart, CVS...ect.
10ml syringe: Rite Aid ... ect. (look for a childs liquid medicine syringe)

All in all your looking at about $30-$40 to get started. But it is fun. And you'll almost never run out of juice.

Here is a thread involving simple recipes with only one or two flavorings in them. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquid-recipes/439217-simple-recipes.html

Have fun with it. :thumbs:

Last edited:

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Capella's is probably the easiest to work with for a new DIY'er.

I have a bunch of flavors from Capellas, The Flavor Apprentice (TFA), and Hangsen. Once you get the hang of mixing and measuring it's really easy to DIY.

I highly recommend 1ml syringes with blunt needles for the flavorings. There are many times where you need to measure tenths of a ml for flavors. 1ml syringes are by far the most accurate for that.

Wrap clear tape around the markings on a syringe too. PG/VG have solvent qualities that will make the marks rub off. You can use the same syringe for a long time. Just clean it and run some pure grain alcohol through it a few times and let it dry. When i'm using multiple flavors i have glass of warm distilled water to rinse between flavor changes. Works fine.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Some flavorings work better then others. Right now, for instance, I'm having trouble with LorAnn Root Beer and Apple. They just might not work for vaping.

I can't do a blasted thing with an apple anything. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I can't get apple to work at all. 'Course, I'm still in "noob" territory really when it comes to DIY liquids so it could be me. :)

Fruit juices? I've tried it. Tried to make a lemonade using Real Lemon lemon juice. It didn't work. The problem is (like Shadav said) that they contain either citric acid, sugars (natural or added), or both. The acid isn't good to breath, and the sugars carmelise as soon as they hit the coil resulting in a burnt tast.

I wondered about that. And, also:

Extracts are tricky. In most of them the same rule goes as with the juices as far as their sugar comtent. I have however heard of some people making their own extracts by soaking vanilla beans in either stright PG or stright VG. But I would consider this an expert project.

I suspected a lot of what you see in the "baking aisle" of the supermarket had sugar. Well, that's not a stretch really eh? Didn't even bother checking the labels. Just stuck to Mount Baker or LorAnn. Trying some TFA lately. Baby steps. :)

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Capella's is probably the easiest to work with for a new DIY'er.

Capellas! That's the other one I've seen mentioned a great deal I couldn't remember. Yeah, over here: Capella Flavor Drops. Going to have to try some before long.

Wrap clear tape around the markings on a syringe too. PG/VG have solvent qualities that will make the marks rub off. You can use the same syringe for a long time.

I also saw a long time DIYer suggest clear nail polish or something along those lines. Though syringes are so cheap, I haven't worried much about it myself...

Hoofhearted62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
South Park, Pa. USA
Order some Nicotine/PG/VG. I use Wizard Labs.
Get some of this 20130803_133641.jpg
and some of these 20130903_221301.jpg
get an ejuice calculator from the web.
and happy vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread