How do YOU refill your tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodnerb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg
I have persistent problems with my cartos only lasting two days at absolute most. Boges and kangers. I'm trying some dual coils on my old ego bats because they don't work on the lava tube. The jury is still out on them.

So the problem with my cartos seems to be with tank fills. Every time I refill my tank I lose about 25% of my flavor immediately. I can't figure out why. First tank with a primed fresh carto is amazing. juice getting low so I slide the tank up until the carto is just peeking out under the top cap and either re fill with a syringe, running juice down the side of the top cap, or even taking off the top cap refilling and replacing if the cap is loose enough. Slide the now filled tank back down, vape, and instant loss of flavor. I leave 1-2 mm of air in the tank on fills. Another few refills later, each producing noticeable drop in flavor and increasing burnt taste until it is unusable in 1-2 days.

So, how do you refill your tanks and do you notice a drop off with each tank fill? Do you re-wet the top of the carto each tank? I have tried this but no luck so far.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    My question would be how are you punching your cartos? And, what % pg/vg. Sure sounds like a wicking problem to me.
    I wouldn't expect a LR DCC to last all that long on an eGo. Each coil is pulling less than 4watts, and that's not hot enough to keep the coils from gunking up.

As for topping off my tanks (using Boge or 801 cartos) I push the conector end in far enough to drip along side the carto.

P1000494.jpg

Last edited:

VpnDrgn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 21, 2010
    Gulfport, MS.
    How your cartos are slotted or punched will make a difference depending on thickness ( % of VG )
    of your juice. I take a few hard primer puffs when I notice drop in flavor or a dry hit. you will see
    bubbles come from holes in carto if you are doing it right, and it will gurgle if you do it too much.

I also seriously recommend the "Slap Yo Mama" tool from BDV. It makes filling to capacity a
    snap and prevents damage to inner o-rings when putting the carto in your tank or pulling it down
    to fill.

Nodnerb

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 8, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Thanks for the replies. tj, I think you've replied to all of my carto problem threads. lol
    I'm actually not punching them. I am using a mill bit in a drill press and a vice. It makes a perfectly clean flawless hole. I typically use 70pg/30vg.
    I usually fill from the top end. I find it avoids getting the threads and the well between the center post and thread tube gunked up. I actually started doing this trying to figure out this same issue. I thought maybe gunking up the holes in the threaded end was my problem.

Either way though, I have the same issues with boges and kangers on my lava tube so I don't think the wattage is the issue. I think the issue MUST be me, but I can't for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. And neither can ECF so far in my past 5 threads about this issue. Maybe I'm just the unluckiest vaper around?

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 4, 2011
    West of Rochester,N.Y.
    That's one of the reasons why I don't like poly-filled cartos they lose there flavor after a few days or a week..not to mention the melted poly-fill I noticed when pulling them apart..it's one reason why I use CE2's..it could be the juice you're using too..my one fav flavor (Carmel tobacco from MadVapes) is thick and will kill an atomizer or cartomizer in a couple days..I had to resort to building my own atomizers for dripping it out of CE2 parts. They will generally last longer with thinner lighter juices..thick/dark juices will gunk up a coil in no time.

Nodnerb

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 8, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Even at 50/50 I have no problem, so we have pretty much eliminated that. What diameter drill bit are you using? Might be that your holes are a bit to small.
    I found that the predrilled Smokteck's had to small a hole for the juice that I use.

I've used 1/16" and 1/8" holes. Both with the same result.

washvap

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2011
    wa
    If you chain vape then that might be the cause of your problems. Since your carto might be running dry and even if you fill the tank. It won't be tasting like it.

Try this out, when you fill your carto. Do a couple of primer puffs and let it sit for a few minutes before vaping. That will give it enough time for it to re-wick properly.

Butters78

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    If you chain vape then that might be the cause of your problems. Since your carto might be running dry and even if you fill the tank. It won't be tasting like it.

Try this out, when you fill your carto. Do a couple of primer puffs and let it sit for a few minutes before vaping. That will give it enough time for it to re-wick properly.

Hey thanks for the tip. I was just browsing the board and saw what you said. I just filled my liquinator and said hey what the hell! LoL It's hitting awesome now. I never though of doing primer puffs on a carto in a tank.

washvap

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2011
    wa
    Hey thanks for the tip. I was just browsing the board and saw what you said. I just filled my liquinator and said hey what the hell! LoL It's hitting awesome now. I never though of doing primer puffs on a carto in a tank.

No problem and glad that I could help out. Had problems with the carto either getting dry or loosing flavor when I first started using tanks.

So, I just figured that I would do a few primer puffs in an attempt to draw more juice in there. Luckily it worked out and I've been doing that ever since.

I have had no problem with the xl kangers in a dct. I make a fat slot with a dremel on one side, a thin slot above the first on opposite side. Only time I had an issue of of carto not lasting was with Vaperite vr4 (6 hours instead of 4 days). Filling carto and tank, topping tank off same way you are. KBV 555 has given me a carto last for 2 weeks solid vaping this way.
    Provari with dct and Kanger xl with HBV Exotic at 5 v this week.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 4, 2011
    West of Rochester,N.Y.
    Where would one purchase said cap???

VaporAlley sells Needle Caps but I'm sure a lot of other vendors do also. I linked VA because I have bought from them, it's a small vendor and he shipped really fast..I got my VV Tube from him ordered it on a late Friday evening he shipped it Saturday morning and I got it that Monday..it's under 500 miles to me though.

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    VaporAlley sells Needle Caps but I'm sure a lot of other vendors do also. I linked VA because I have bought from them, it's a small vendor and he shipped really fast..I got my VV Tube from him ordered it on a late Friday evening he shipped it Saturday morning and I got it that Monday..it's under 500 miles to me though.

Those are cheaper than I paid. These are the best way to fill all kinds of tanks. Never a drop lost. I hate l wasting a drop. Good find

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread